Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Jacket Are You Wearing Today?

ChewingWax

One of the Regulars
IMG_6902.jpeg

With a thin down sweater, this jacket is warm into the single digits. It’s a balmy 11 degrees out. The LW horse hide is soft and pliable even in these temperatures. Amazing leather.

Motocann

One Too Many
I know you weren't, I'm just saying. Thing is, if you're expecting something for that kind of cash, you're not missing much. It's just high fashion tho makers like Visvim don't seem to understand what makes something cost a lot vs. just making up a price. They jump on some trend too late, without ever bringing something new to the table.
In my wildest imagination, I can’t see how anyone could justify spending $13,000 on a jacket.

Aloysius

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Measure the percentage increase against things like; a loaf of bread or a bottle of beer over the same period. (I always said this to my father when he talked about wages etc.)

Brand new it cost $400-500 in today's dollars, so the premium is minimal considering the age and preservation. I paid about that amount for a new (but on sale) lined Filson Mackinaw fairly recently.

1705359907550.jpeg

Buzz Rickson's William Gibson N-3B, but a fair few lounge-adjacent (both outerwear forum and otherwise) items on for the weather.

Aero athletic sweater, Lewis RN/RAF socks, RRL trousers (which are a sort of civvy nylon blend version of the WWII Mountain trousers).

My base layer is a reproduction early 20th century henley-style wool baseball shirt.

tmitchell59

I'll Lock Up
Brand new it cost $400-500 in today's dollars, so the premium is minimal considering the age and preservation. I paid about that amount for a new (but on sale) lined Filson Mackinaw fairly recently.
I don't do the math, it is interesting. This jacket is from the mid to late 40s. Must have been a high end jacket. Mine is nice, no doubt. Don't recall what I paid for it, no where near this number. It did come across as something a bit special. There are many wool jackets out there at all kinds of prices. I've tested mine in below O weather and it does what it is suppose to.

bolted

New in Town
monitor: "Like Enfants Riches Deprimes or Vetements, Visvim clothes costs a lot.

I recognize and it’s certainly great having your insights.
I’m clueless other than Schotts quality 1 piece backs, and Aeros qualities. I’ve picked up a lot focused knowledge here. :)
Be great to be riding again, but a pal recently went down threatening his income stream, ..I think on it.

Last edited:

TLW '90

Practically Family
I have mostly been wearing the woolrich hunting coat lately because it's quite warm and does a great job at keeping the wind out.
20240116_103419.jpg

I didn't like how the zipper starts that high up, so I added a couple buttons at the bottom allowing me to close the bottom up with a loop.
It may look a bit odd, but it works and that's all I really cared about.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
apachepass