Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What jeans are you wearing today ?

dudewuttheheck

I'll Lock Up
Washing machine 30 degrees inside out on low spin setting after 5/6 wears or when they lose their shape.

Hand washing blue jeans is totally unnecessary in my experience, it’s cotton not cashmere…
Absolutely. It's pretty straightforward. Just wash your jeans.

Boyo

Call Me a Cab
if the jeans are real new and still starchy, or a higher weight pair I’ve found that if you soak them fully so that they’re wet when they go in to the machine wash, helps prevent some weird fading and streaks

Edward

Bartender
I always turn mine inside out before I put them in the machine. I remember learning to do that with black jeans *way* back when in my teens, as it helps keep the colour in longer.

Still in my 13MWZs today; this particular pair are now just two months shy of three years old. They've had a lot heavier wear than anticipated when I bought them, as the pandemic saw me first working from home entirely and now working from home half the week. A lot of my work meetings that shifted online have remained there and I don't think we will see a culture of a return to the office full-time, which may (in the absence of a source of equally cheap and durable trousers) see me in jeans more often going forward. Not my preference for many day to day activities, but ideal for round the house. This particular pair, as I often find, after eighteen months of hard wear wore a small hole either side on the upper, inner-thigh. Patched those over with iron-on denim repair patches (thereafter loop-stitched around the edge; I could of course have done this with any denim off-cut, but it was definitely easier to sew on by hand with the iron-on gum holding them in place). One patch is just starting to wear so it probably won't be worth repairing them / patching again, so I suspect they might by Summer end up relegated to home-decor wear, or to serve as donors for repairing other future pairs. Still, close to three years for as little as these cost is not something about which I'm going to complain. Fingers crossed by April I'll be able to pick up some new ones a size down.

Bfd70

I'll Lock Up
My wife’s pandemic baking has really gotten the better of me. Pm me if anyone is in the market for tag size 30 denim. I’m not at the point where i’m ambitious enough to list in the classifieds. I hope the summer will melt a few inches But am skeptical.

Bfd70

I'll Lock Up
Re the above post , I needed some new black denim. I didn’t want to spend Much $ because I’m hoping to drop a few pounds and fit into the drawer of jeans I have. I picked up a pair of Levis 502. Very happy with them. The cut is just right for me which I believe is most of the battle.

TooManyHatsOnlyOneHead

Call Me a Cab
question for the IH army people out there. I picked up my first denim shirt IHSH 33. It's about a half size too big for me. Doesn't look bad now, but I like it to be a little more fitted. Should I give it a soak and dryer right off the bat to shrink some or just wear and deal with it later. Original plan was to wear this several dozen times over tshirts before any wash. But now I'm wondering whether I should try and deal with the size first so the fades come in the right areas.

Bfd70

I'll Lock Up
I accidentally dried one of mine. It is now a 1/2 size smaller.
Also unwearable. If anyone wants an IH western in a now slightly smaller than small let me know. Very cheap or creative barter.

Blackadder

My Mail is Forwarded Here
question for the IH army people out there. I picked up my first denim shirt IHSH 33. It's about a half size too big for me. Doesn't look bad now, but I like it to be a little more fitted. Should I give it a soak and dryer right off the bat to shrink some or just wear and deal with it later. Original plan was to wear this several dozen times over tshirts before any wash. But now I'm wondering whether I should try and deal with the size first so the fades come in the right areas.
Jeans yes, shrink them first so streaks won't move afterwards. Shirts not as weird because shirts are washed more often and therefore difficult to keep the streaks anyway.

Rich22

Practically Family
As much as I love some Levi's products, I wish the company would enact some kind of quality control. My favourite cut, the 541's, are absolutely all over the place depending on which factory churns them out. The higher quality ones with leather patches, that Levi's staff confusingly told me are for their retail stores (as opposed to??), are generally excellent, but the rest are a confusing mix of sizes and shapes and materials. Amazon.com sold me three pairs of one colour in the space of a week, and delivered three very different pairs of jeans. I only just about fit in one of them, and one of them is kinda loose. Hopeless! Haha!

dudewuttheheck

I'll Lock Up
As much as I love some Levi's products, I wish the company would enact some kind of quality control. My favourite cut, the 541's, are absolutely all over the place depending on which factory churns them out. The higher quality ones with leather patches, that Levi's staff confusingly told me are for their retail stores (as opposed to??), are generally excellent, but the rest are a confusing mix of sizes and shapes and materials. Amazon.com sold me three pairs of one colour in the space of a week, and delivered three very different pairs of jeans. I only just about fit in one of them, and one of them is kinda loose. Hopeless! Haha!
Levi's qc has been poor for quite some time. They seem to be coasting on their name. There are other brands better for the price at this point

Levi's qc has been poor for quite some time. They seem to be coasting on their name. There are other brands better for the price at this point

Lol sure, if you pay for them! I got three pairs that I absolutely love and neither cost me a dime. One was a gift & the other two I found literally next to a dumpster. One was near new, just had a busted zipper which I replaced myself.
Levi's made so many jeans that buying them at this point makes no sense.

Edward

Bartender
Today I'm wearing my now one pair of jeans. Prison Blues work jeans with the braces buttons. I'll probably buy some more of these, maybe some more Wrangler 13mwz at some point, though I know I have a pair or two of nice jeans in storage somewhere one size down from what I am now. These PBs are a 44, and already kinda loose. I'm down from a UK48-50 in the waist in January to a UK42 (US40) now, so most of what I was wearing when I last posted on this thread is like clown trousers on me now. Which I'm not complaining about, believe me!

Still working from home and wearing jeans a bit more often that I would have otherwise. Awaiting the next big trip to the US to pick up a bunch of Dickies 874s as a great, kicking about alternative to denim.

willyto

One Too Many
Today I'm wearing my now one pair of jeans. Prison Blues work jeans with the braces buttons. I'll probably buy some more of these, maybe some more Wrangler 13mwz at some point, though I know I have a pair or two of nice jeans in storage somewhere one size down from what I am now. These PBs are a 44, and already kinda loose. I'm down from a UK48-50 in the waist in January to a UK42 (US40) now, so most of what I was wearing when I last posted on this thread is like clown trousers on me now. Which I'm not complaining about, believe me!

Still working from home and wearing jeans a bit more often that I would have otherwise. Awaiting the next big trip to the US to pick up a bunch of Dickies 874s as a great, kicking about alternative to denim.
COngratulations on the weight lose Edward!

I think that using cheaper denim to moving down waist size is the most smart thing to do. You don't want to be spending money on tailoring if you're going down big sizes unless you buy the stuff second hand.

Talking about Denim I picked up from storage my good old LVC 1890s in size W32 and I might bring them with me to London in August...but this heat...I'm a bit afraid I won't even be able to wear them but I'll be doing shoemaking so I can't be wearing good tailoring as trousers.

Edward

Bartender
COngratulations on the weight lose Edward!

I think that using cheaper denim to moving down waist size is the most smart thing to do. You don't want to be spending money on tailoring if you're going down big sizes unless you buy the stuff second hand.

Thanks! It's been hard work, but totally worth it. I've been wearing cheaper everything for the last couple of years as I didn't want to spend on good stuff when I didn't want to stay that size... The PBs I do wish I'd bought a size up, though they came in at half price, so they're still a big reduction if I do have them taken in a size locally. Not in a rush, though. Would buy more at half price, but alas that was in the closing down sale for the EU supplier; based in England, they couldn't make the business work in the post-Brexit trading environment.

Talking about Denim I picked up from storage my good old LVC 1890s in size W32 and I might bring them with me to London in August...but this heat...I'm a bit afraid I won't even be able to wear them but I'll be doing shoemaking so I can't be wearing good tailoring as trousers.

Shoemaking? Sounds interesting - what you up to with that?

dudewuttheheck

I'll Lock Up
Lol sure, if you pay for them! I got three pairs that I absolutely love and neither cost me a dime. One was a gift & the other two I found literally next to a dumpster. One was near new, just had a busted zipper which I replaced myself.
Levi's made so many jeans that buying them at this point makes no sense.
Haha well that's fair enough! I was talking about purchasing them

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pablosstuff