Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What kind of hangers for A2 and Aero jackets?

srivats

Familiar Face
Mods, first off if this thread in the wrong area please re-locate it ...

Guys, I am getting a couple of jackets soon (an A2 and a Aero LHB) and I was wondering what kind of hangers I should buy to hang them. Does anyone have suggestions for me? Thanks in advance ...

Warbaby

One Too Many
For my leather jackets I use the sort of hangars that are meant for ladies' fur coats. Nowadays made of heavy plastic, though the older ones were carved wood. The shoulders are very wide - from 2-3 inches - and gently rounded so they don't make stretch marks in the leather. The hangar hook is longer than ordinary hangars to accomodate thick fur collars so it's perfect of high collars. You can find them now and then in thrift shops - or ask a furrier to sell you a couple.

jvillela

New in Town
Cedar Hangers

People have long used aromatic cedar hangers to repel moths and carpet beetles from fine woolens. Now scientific study has proven that cedar also works against certain roaches and silverfish. Although aromatic cedar cannot kill these insects, it does effectively repel them, providing a natural alternative to mothballs. Aromatic cedar also deodorizes with a forest-like scent. Moths will be your number one enemy. They will eat wool, cotton, silk, and any other natural material. Protect your jacket’s knit cuffs and waistband with cedar, I do. My A2, G1, and G2 are hung on cedar hangers. You just can’t go wrong.

Peacoat

Bartender
I have about 25 of the wooden hangers Warbaby described above. They are a polished hardwood, a little less than 3" wide at the shoulders. When they can be found, they are about $5 or so apiece.

I put my peacoats on these hangers, and (I know this will be considered heresy) I dump my leather jackets in a heap in the corner of my closet. During the winter as the jackets are being pulled out to be worn and dumped back, it gives the leather a little more wear and softens the leather. This gives the jackets a little more character and a better developed patina. Certainly a kinder and more gentle aging process than washing them in hot water!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DavidZL