Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What kind of hat might look good on my noggin?

sulla

One of the Regulars
I really like the stylmaster. Looking for a UA vendor who has it in lighter and charcoal gray. It has a bound brim, but I still like it. Thanks for the tip.

Heh, called dad to talk about the family Genealogy and I just found out that Grandpa George wore a 6 1/2 and the pictured hat is somewhere in my dad's attic. The pinch is supposedly so worn that there are holes in it. And I was wrong, the guy was only 5'7" or so.

scan0036.jpg

Mulceber

Practically Family
Man, I'd get that hat - if for no other reason then for sentimental value. Obviously with the holes it wouldn't be very stylish to wear, but a good keepsake nonetheless. -M

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
Hats Direct in Australia has it in Carbon Grey ( lighter than DM's Charcoal Grey) but you'll have to go with the multi-week shipping time from Australia. There are not to many US retailers that carry as complete selection of Akubra's as DM. Try Joh Helmer in Portland, OR. and ask for Julie, they are GREAT folks to deal with !! I got my Mid-Brown Stylemaster from them. It's not a color DM carries, though they import it. They are the SOLE US importer for Akubra. :)

CitizenGenet

Familiar Face
Thanks! I've seen some nice hats and read some kind comments here. I am pleased to be here. :)

Oh, and I like wide brims. Like 2 1/2" or even a 2 3/8".

I think I really love this style but am not sure if it'd look good on my head:
http://www.dadshats.com/stcclccrfe.html
http://www.dadshats.com/stcclccrfe2.html

I am kind of digging these styles:

http://www.dadshats.com/batgacedefe1.html
http://www.dadshats.com/bagclcedefe.html
http://www.dadshats.com/dobfifavday3.html
http://www.dadshats.com/dobfifavday.html

I have a Dobbs Dayton and I do not recommend it. It's rather flimsy in construction. I only wear it as a beater hat.

sulla

One of the Regulars
Awesome Thanks for that information. I am really like that stylemaster now, but I am no impulse buyer. I'll let you all know what I end up going with and we are scheduled to go through and clean out my dad's attic this spring, so hopefully I'll come across the old lid.

And thanks to everyone else who has chimed in on this inaugural thread of mine. I appreciate all your help and kind comments on my current hat-style. :)

Chinaski

One Too Many
+3 on the Campdraft. Your granddad's hat has very little taper (very straight sides as opposed to getting narrower towards the crown) and that matches the Campdraft very well. I believe you can buy it "open crowned" as well and shape it yourself. It would be a good addition to your hat stable. Welcome to the Lounge, sulla!

sulla

One of the Regulars
I have it down to two candidates: Stylemaster or Squatter. but would either of these hats look good with a black wool overcoat?

I'm really digging on the Moonstone Squatter from DM with the pork pie crown which is different from my current center crease Fed IV Deluxe, and I think I'd give it a tight pinch like my great-grandpa George's hat. The really wide brim and lack of taper is the real hold back for me though.

My other choice is the Carbon Gray Stylemaster from DM. It is already bashed with what looks like a wide pinch and center crease. And the tapered crown looks really sharp to me. I love the stylish lines of this hat.

I can't decide... Stylish already bashed darker gray Stylmaster, or more casual (at least to my eye) lighter gray Squatter that I can easily bash myself.

The Campdraft is a sweet hat too (not found on DM) but that narrow ribbon is just not my thing.

Last edited:

azshawn

Familiar Face
Welcome to the lounge! Your great grandpa had some nice style, I'm sure he would be happy to see you in a nice hat. Let us know what you choose.

Mulceber

Practically Family
I'd say go for the squatter - the stylemaster is nice, but it's also pretty tapered, which, imo, would not go with your face shape. Plus, you can always have the ribbon replaced with something a bit wider if that's your preference. Optimo would do it for 20 bucks. -M

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
I have it down to two candidates: Stylemaster or Squatter. but would either of these hats look good with a black wool overcoat?

I'm really digging on the Moonstone Squatter from DM with the pork pie crown which is different from my current center crease Fed IV Deluxe, and I think I'd give it a tight pinch like my great-grandpa George's hat. The really wide brim and lack of taper is the real hold back for me though.

My other choice is the Carbon Gray Stylemaster from DM. It is already bashed with what looks like a wide pinch and center crease. And the tapered crown looks really sharp to me. I love the stylish lines of this hat.

I can't decide... Stylish already bashed darker gray Stylmaster, or more casual (at least to my eye) lighter gray Squatter that I can easily bash myself.

The Campdraft is a sweet hat too (not found on DM) but that narrow ribbon is just not my thing.

The pre-creased pinch that comes on the Stylemaster can be brought closer together with a liberal dose of steam or a good soaking in a heavy rain. It is a bit softer than the Squatter and responds well to handling and mine has gotten tighter as I have worn it. Don't worry about the rain, it's an Akubra and they are almost indestructable !!
The Sydney is basically an open crown Stylemaster without the bound brim and you could pinch that puppy as tight as you want :) It is a bit darker grey than the Stylemaster, but still grey :) DM also will crease it for you for an additional $20.00 as well ! ( but only open crowned hats) :)

sulla

One of the Regulars
Squatter, squatter, squatter... It all seems to be coming back to the Moonstone Squatter. :p

The only thing holding me back at this point is wondering how difficult it's be to bash a porkpie with a pinch by hand without blocks like in this black version of the hat (which is what I'd like to do to a Moonstone Squatter. I am pretty confident in my hand bashing skilz but I don't want to go ruining a nice lid by attempting something better left to professionals with their tools. Perhaps I could ask DM to bash it for me? Do they do that?

*edit*
Here's the DM bashing instructions which includes the style I want, duh Andy. I am sure all you 'old-hands' were already aware of this.

1610blk-bashed_lg6.jpg

Last edited:

JimWagner

Practically Family
I have a Taupe Fawn Campdraft and a Moonstone Sylemaster. I really like them both. They are two quite different hats. The Campdraft came open crown and was quite easy to bash. It's a softer felt than the Stylemaster, just plain feels better to my hands and on my head. It is a larger hat in all dimensions and with the thin ribbon more of a "country hat".

The Stylemaster came pre-bashed and I'm not crazy about that. It definitely looks more artificially molded. A little unnatural to me in that regard. It is a stiffer felt than the Campdraft. With the wide ribbon it is much more of a "city hat". I wear it with suits and top coats - dressier occasions.

The Campdraft I tend to wear with more casual wear. That said and as illustrated in the great picture up-thread, I wouldn't hesitate to wear a Campdraft with a suit, especially one in Silverbelly. I probably wouldn't wear my Stylemaster when dressed casually, though. But that's just me - nothing really wrong with doing so.

My advice? Buy both, of course ;)

Last edited:

carldelo

One Too Many
Wow, you went from the 2-3/8" brim of the Chatham up to a 3" brim on the Squatter? That's quite a leap in size, but it may work well.

I think your original suggestion, the Chatham, is a great hat - I just had a bound edge added to mine and it looks great. I'm going to swim against the Akubra tide and recommend that you look at the new Whippet, which is essentially a bound-brim Chatham. Here it is at Bencraft:

http://www.bencrafthats.com/product.php?pid=442&subcname=Stetson

The gray one is particularly attractive with the gray ribbon. It is similar in proportion to the Stylemaster, but straighter-crowned and a much nicer quality felt. Personally, I do not favor black hats as they appear funereal, not to mention very formal.

Here are some comparison photos of a tan Stylemaster and a Stetson Brewster - the Brewster is the same shape and dimensions as a Whippet, but has a silk finish. The photos give a good contrast between the crown styles of these two hats. The Stetson is the lighter colored hat with dark brown ribbon - the thumbnails are clickable:

Last edited:

sulla

One of the Regulars
Indeed. Thanks for the information and the great shots. You've given me a lot to think about.

However, after all this back and forth and looking at hat styles and reviewing what I really want out of my second hat purchase, I am currently focusing on an open crown hat with a wide ribbon, and a bound brim in light gray. I will admit I am compromising a little with the 3" brim of the Squatter, but I have not found a better alternative yet. The Federation Deluxe IV in gray would be great but it does not have a bound brim.

sulla

One of the Regulars
Wow, you went from the 2-3/8" brim of the Chatham up to a 3" brim on the Squatter? That's quite a leap in size, but it may work well.

I think your original suggestion, the Chatham, is a great hat - I just had a bound edge added to mine and it looks great. I'm going to swim against the Akubra tide and recommend that you look at the new Whippet, which is essentially a bound-brim Chatham. Here it is at Bencraft:

http://www.bencrafthats.com/product.php?pid=442&subcname=Stetson

The gray one is particularly attractive with the gray ribbon. It is similar in proportion to the Stylemaster, but straighter-crowned and a much nicer quality felt. Personally, I do not favor black hats as they appear funereal, not to mention very formal.

Here are some comparison photos of a tan Stylemaster and a Stetson Brewster - the Brewster is the same shape and dimensions as a Whippet, but has a silk finish. The photos give a good contrast between the crown styles of these two hats. The Stetson is the lighter colored hat with dark brown ribbon - the thumbnails are clickable:

After some consideration I am really liking that Whippet. I wonder if a tapered crown like that would look right on my head and If I were to buy the Whippet, I wonder if it'd be a terrible idea to try to put in a tighter pinch myself?

sulla

One of the Regulars
Too many hats to choose from. I see one, think - that's it! Probably, and it's on to the next.

The Whippet in Carabou Gray looks pretty darn nice. Not sure if there is a lot of taper to the crown though. http://www.bencrafthats.com/product.php?pid=442&subcname=Felt+Hats

This ain't too bad, maybe put a pinch in it. Baltimore Porkpie in steel gray.
http://www.bencrafthats.com/product.php?pid=265&subcname=Felt+Hats

Saxon in Carabou Gray: http://www.bencrafthats.com/product.php?pid=255&subcname=Felt+Hats

Gromulus

Practically Family
I have a Taupe Fawn Campdraft and a Moonstone Sylemaster. I really like them both. They are two quite different hats. The Campdraft came open crown and was quite easy to bash. It's a softer felt than the Stylemaster, just plain feels better to my hands and on my head. It is a larger hat in all dimensions and with the thin ribbon more of a "country hat".

The Stylemaster came pre-bashed and I'm not crazy about that. It definitely looks more artificially molded. A little unnatural to me in that regard. It is a stiffer felt than the Campdraft. With the wide ribbon it is much more of a "city hat". I wear it with suits and top coats - dressier occasions.

The Campdraft I tend to wear with more casual wear. That said and as illustrated in the great picture up-thread, I wouldn't hesitate to wear a Campdraft with a suit, especially one in Silverbelly. I probably wouldn't wear my Stylemaster when dressed casually, though. But that's just me - nothing really wrong with doing so.

My advice? Buy both, of course ;)

As a relatively "new" Akubra wearer, I own both styles - 3 Stylemasters and 2 Campdrafts (so far). I concur with Jim, I like my Stylemasters, but wear them for work and when wearing suits, sportcoats, and dressier overcoats. The Campdrafts go well with anything, but look better with more casual attire IMO. As Jim stated, "get both"!

Mr E Train

One Too Many
hat4.jpg

Personally, I think the Fed IV looks perfect for you. I would just get a moonstone one to complement your jacket.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy