Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What kind of hat might look good on my noggin?

sulla

One of the Regulars
*edit* Thanks Mr. E! I have already gained a lot of hat-confidence from two days of posting here. I was composing this just as you were posting. I think I agree with you...

You know what... I think I am just going to go with another Akubra Federation - this time in Moonstone. There is a haberdasher who works through Tonto Rim just south of me who could bind the brim for me and maybe even bash a 'pinched telescope bash.'

I have the Fed IV Deluxe IV now and I think I could get what I want while still going with what I know. A shorter crown with this different bash (different than the Indy Jones Last Crusade bash) and a bound brim. I might even have him replace the ribbon if he can't match it to a new bound brim.

My latest question, I have the Fed IV Deluxe, would I be an idiot to go for the Fed IV (non-deluxe?) As part of their 'Imperial Quality' line I assume it has a less-fine felt finish than the Deluxe and that's the big difference?

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
Would you be an idiot? No. The Imperial grade felt is a darn good felt. The Heritage grade uses wild hare fur, so all in all, it is a bit more durable, but all Akubras are tough hats. I have a Fed IV in Carbon Grey which is my go to rain hat. I don't even second guess about grabbing it in a downpour. The deluxe has a nicer finish and a better sweatband, so, yes, they are nicer hats, but the regular ol' Fed is still a great hat in its own right.

Per Hatsdirect.com
:
Made from Akubras Heritage Grade felt. (See felt qualities section for further information.)

The leather sweat band is a higher quality leather, specially processed for these hats. It is softer and less prone to drying out and shrinkage compared to the regular Federation. It makes up a proportion of the price increase over the regular Fed.

The Deluxe undergoes further finishing over the normal Heritage range resulting in a much smoother finish than the previous model.

sulla

One of the Regulars
Not the most flattering picture, but this is me tonight coming home from my buddy's house. I think a grey Fed with a different bash could look good on me.

me5.jpg

sulla

One of the Regulars
I got the non-deluxe for the new Moonstone lid. The felt on my brown Deluxe is a very fine and beautiful finish, but the non-deluxe looks great too. I'll try to take some comparison shots here soon for you.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy