Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What kind of hat might look good on my noggin?

sulla

One of the Regulars
So I cannot find a good Haberdasher near me... I know what size my head is (7 3/8 or 59 or what ever the equivalent is for Non-US size.) I am currently looking at Dobb's and other brands at places like Dadshats.com. I have a budget of about $200.

I currently own an Akubra Federation IV Deluxe that I bashed myself. Yeah I have been an Indiana Jones fan since I was a kid. Gonna' have to forgive me this hat. :p And despite the blue coat and gray T-Shirt in the pic below (and my avatar), I usually wear it with a collard shirt and jackets of appropriate color. And I've worn it in all kinds of weather...

I don't think the really tall crown of the Fed Deluxe is my style and I just bught a nice black wool overcoat so I'd like to buy a nice felt fedora to match both it and my head. I cannot decide between a gray (cool or dark) and black. I also like wider ribbons, but I never really get dressed up enough to wear a suit other than special occasions but I'd like to wear this hat. So what do you think?

Too noob a question? And yes, My glasses change between the first and last images. The non-hatted me is in the current glasses.

hat4.jpg

hat1.jpg

hat2.jpg

hat3.jpg

me1.jpg

zetwal

I'll Lock Up
I don't think that crown is too tall. I think it looks very good. But of course, you can always adjust the height to whatever you may prefer. Others will weight in with the usual suggestions. Meanwhile, welcome to the Lounge.

sulla

One of the Regulars
Thanks! I've seen some nice hats and read some kind comments here. I am pleased to be here. :)

Oh, and I like wide brims. Like 2 1/2" or even a 2 3/8".

I think I really love this style but am not sure if it'd look good on my head:
http://www.dadshats.com/stcclccrfe.html
http://www.dadshats.com/stcclccrfe2.html

I am kind of digging these styles:

http://www.dadshats.com/batgacedefe1.html
http://www.dadshats.com/bagclcedefe.html
http://www.dadshats.com/dobfifavday3.html
http://www.dadshats.com/dobfifavday.html

danofarlington

My Mail is Forwarded Here
So I cannot find a good Haberdasher near me... I know what size my head is (7 3/8 or 59 or what ever the equivalent is for Non-US size.) I am currently looking at Dobb's and other brands at places like Dadshats.com. I have a budget of about $200.

I currently own an Akubra Federation IV Deluxe that I bashed myself. Yeah I have been an Indiana Jones fan since I was a kid. Gonna' have to forgive me this hat. :p And despite the blue coat and gray T-Shirt in the pic below (and my avatar), I usually wear it with a collard shirt and jackets of appropriate color. And I've worn it in all kinds of weather...

I don't think the really tall crown of the Fed Deluxe is my style and I just bught a nice black wool overcoat so I'd like to buy a nice felt fedora to match both it and my head. I cannot decide between a gray (cool or dark) and black. I also like wider ribbons, but I never really get dressed up enough to wear a suit other than special occasions but I'd like to wear this hat. So what do you think?

Too noob a question? And yes, My glasses change between the first and last images. The non-hatted me is in the current glasses.

You're a young enough feller to do some experimentation, the way I see it. You're a perfect candidate for vintage hats from E Bay. I think they are good for younger people who want to experiment with different styles. You sort of put yourself into that style when you wear the hat, and having a little mental flexibility is always a plus. I still buy from E Bay, because those hats deliver ready-made styles that were once big, but are now forgotten enough to be new again when you wear them. I say buy several hats, because just one won't give you enough information about what your best styles are.

Mulceber

Practically Family
Actually, for a fairly tall face such as yours, the Fed Deluxe is perfect. If anything, I'd advise maybe experimenting with even taller crowns. With regard to hat advice, I'd advise sticking to vintage, akubra and custom hats, as they really are the best quality that you're going to find today. But then, I'm a bit of a hat snob, so that might be influencing me as well. -M

zetwal

I'll Lock Up
There is no reason to think that they would not look good on you. But you may or may not nail the style and proportions that YOU like best without trying several different styles and colors.

sulla

One of the Regulars
A Tawny Fawn Campdraft. That would look great on you.

Thanks, that's a good looking hat. I seem to have my heart set on some sort of hat I've seen in pictures of my grandparents and their family. I really associate with that.

My great grandfather and my grandfather often wore wide brimmed felt fedoras in grays with a front pinch and tall front crown. I will try to scare up some pix of what I am talking about.

sulla

One of the Regulars
Ah, I see... Thanks everyone for your kind words and advice. I thought that the taller crown didn't look so good because I am a 6' dude with a fairly long neck and tall head. I thought it just called attention to that. Maybe I just need to get more comfortable in my own skin?

And I plan on owning several hats in various styles. :) I am thinking of this purchase as my next hate before the next before the next, before the...

zetwal

I'll Lock Up
I'll bet it doesn't look weird at all. If you would like to show us a full body shot from across the room I think we could put your fears to rest once and for all.

In a worst case scenario, it can easily be fine tuned if needed. Even 1/8 of an inch can make a difference.

Mulceber

Practically Family
I thought that the taller crown didn't look so good because I am a 6' dude with a fairly long neck and tall head. I thought it just called attention to that.

Nope - a tall hat makes your head look smaller by comparison. A small hat makes your head look taller by comparison.

Maybe I just need to get more comfortable in my own skin?

Maybe - more likely it's just a matter of gaining more experience with hats. Gotta say though that he Fed IV has almost perfect proportions for you. -M

danofarlington

Ah, I see... Thanks everyone for your kind words and advice. I thought that the taller crown didn't look so good because I am a 6' dude with a fairly long neck and tall head. I thought it just called attention to that. Maybe I just need to get more comfortable in my own skin?

And I plan on owning several hats in various styles. :) I am thinking of this purchase as my next hate before the next before the next, before the...

I agree that the Fed IV looks good on you. But you've expressed an interest in other styles, and I think you should pursue them. You already know how one kind of hat looks on you. There's a lot more out there.

sulla

One of the Regulars
I'll have to take some pix. Not tonight though. The wife is sick and the lighting is bad. In the mean time here's some shots of the fam over the last bunch of generations. That 1926 photo has a nice hat in the lower left.

My great grandpa George was a tall man. Over 6' if I am remembering correctly, and he wore a hat with a wide brim and a tight pinch. And though I am not sold on the tight pinch, I do like that wide brim and am pretty sure that I compare all hats to these memories.

scan0036.jpg

Georg-grandkids.jpg

BuseReunion1926.jpg

Fedora Jay

Familiar Face
Your Fed looks pretty good on you. The crown may be a touch high in my personal opinion, but you can pull it off. The brim size looks spot on though. I'd stick to maybe a 1/2" shorter on the crown, give or take, and wide brims. I don't think stingy brims would be very flattering for you, but I could be wrong.

As to color, light grey seems to go with just about anything, so that would be my suggestion. Of course, there's nothing wrong with a black hat/black coat either. It's hard to chose between black or grey. Each gives off it's own vibe. My first fedora was a vintage grey Knox twenty, and I just picked up a new black Stetson Chatham last week, and I wear mostly dark clothes and black jackets, just to show you my color tastes.

I say if you like wider ribbons, then wear wider ribbons. I didn't think I'd like a ribbon thinner than the 2" on my Knox, but the 1" on my Stetson is actually really nice too. That ribbon on your Fed looks pretty good for you, so stick to something near to it I'd say.

In the end, you have to be happy with how you look in the mirror. If you like it and think it looks good, then you'll look better than if you wear something you're not fully comfortable in. Wear what you like, how you like, and when you like, I say!

edit: Oh and nice R2 project there! Can't wait to see the finished droid. Gonna do a mouse droid myself someday, but I have another project I have to finish first. . .

Last edited:

sulla

One of the Regulars
Thanks. I am having a lot of fun with R2.

I wonder... is there a good on-line place to get un-bashed hats? I'm thinking I might like to go with a wide brim (unfinished edge) wide ribbon, tall crown gray hat that I could bash myself.

I guess I could always get another Fed Deluxe in gray: http://hatsdirect.com/federation/index.html

Last edited:

Mr. Paladin

Welcome to the Lounge!

By the way.. that hat looks good on you....

As to a hat color... I will give you a color and a style!

A Tawny Fawn Campdraft. That would look great on you.

You now have two votes for the tawny fawn Camp Draft! You don't need a shorter crown in my opinion, but the wider brim of the CD will take care of everything.

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
Thanks. I am having a lot of fun with R2.

I wonder... is there a good on-line place to get un-bashed hats? I'm thinking I might like to go with a wide brim (unfinished edge) wide ribbon, tall crown gray hat that I could bash myself.

I guess I could always get another Fed Deluxe in gray: http://hatsdirect.com/federation/index.html

Other than having a bound brim, (of which I and others here are big fans of ) like the Campdraft, I would recomend an Akubra Squatter from David Morgan up in the Seattle area. http://www.davidmorgan.com/index.php?cPath=2 It is an open crowned hat and has a 3" brim which would give you a similar look to those in your family photos. It also is offered in Black and you would get it in less than a week from DM as opposed to the 2/3 week up to a few months as sometimes happens with the Australian retailers. If you wanted a precreased traditional teardrop Fedora with a 2.5" brim, go with the Stylemaster in Carbon Grey or an Akubra Casual in Charcoal Grey ( un-bound brim) which is essentially a Stylemaster with an open crown as both have 2.5" brims. You can't go wrong with an Akubra !! :)

RBH

Bartender
...My great grandpa George was a tall man. Over 6' if I am remembering correctly, and he wore a hat with a wide brim and a tight pinch. And though I am not sold on the tight pinch, I do like that wide brim and am pretty sure that I compare all hats to these memories.

Man.. let me tell you your g-granpa knew how to wear a hat!

This looks great! You would do well to get a hat like his.
And let me tell you an Open Road [vintage] or a new Campdraft would fit the bill.

thinnnnny.jpg

p.s. look at my hat in my avatar.

handlebar bart

Call Me a Cab
Man.. let me tell you your g-granpa knew how to wear a hat!

This looks great! You would do well to get a hat like his.
And let me tell you an Open Road [vintage] or a new Campdraft would fit the bill.

thinnnnny.jpg

p.s. look at my hat in my avatar.

I have to agree. You are getting some great advice Sulla and you can definately pull off a tall, full crown.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy