Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What leather jacket would you bring to a tropical island?

jonesy86

I'll Lock Up
70 degrees? 70 degrees?? Just a single thought of wearing any leather jacket in such warm temperatures makes me sweat.
You need just t-shirt, shorts and flip-flops in such warm weather conditions. That's all.
Even when it's raining - there's no need of any leather jacket over there, cause it's too warm for leather stuff.
P.S. Hawaii is a dream. Congrats!
Of course you are right. However, I am still bringing my Lucchese boots, one pair of LVC cone mills selvedge denim, one GW leather jacket, and my Stetson beaver fur felt hat. I don't care how hot it gets. :)

jonesy86

I'll Lock Up
The problem is that your body adjusts to the environment, and after a few months in a tropical place 70 degrees feels cool. Last week we hit the lower 50's down here for one day and I had the LHB and a sweater on and still felt the cold. Just this morning it went down to about 65, but there was a wind so it felt chilly. Terry's idea about the capeskin's right on the money. I've got two of them now (one beautiful one from Terry himself) and an old '40's Field and Stream I picked up on Ebay, and with a light sweater they work nicely in this weather. Anyway, aloha! N.B. Get your order in with Art Fawcett for a Landman Milan with a 2 7/8 brim. Survival gear!
When I was there last month when the temperature dropped below 70 at night I saw a few people with heavy winter jackets on. LOL

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
if only sean penn as Superman came through, would be interesting to see at least...

I don't see how you can't wear leather in the tropics, just pick the right lining and avoid sealed cuff knits, and you'll get that patina much sooner from all the sun.

AbbaDatDeHat

I'll Lock Up
Jonesy....just do all the above...then start over when you get there!!
All bases covered TFL style!!
Smooth sailing dude!!
Bowen

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
70 degrees? 70 degrees?? Just a single thought of wearing any leather jacket in such warm temperatures makes me sweat.
You need just t-shirt, shorts and flip-flops in such warm weather conditions.

70 degrees is practically winter here. It's why I hardly wear leather.

Try 110 degrees. Even then, I still wear jeans and a long sleeve black shirt. Keeps the skin protected? I have not worn shorts since I was 7 decades ago.

GHT

I'll Lock Up

Lebowski

This guy has numerous complaints from sellers.
Try 110 degrees. Even then, I still wear jeans and a long sleeve black shirt. Keeps the skin protected? I have not worn shorts since I was 7 decades ago.
As far as I know - that's the rule in Australia, people need to protect their skin from UV at your place. UV sun radiation is very strong and quite dangerous in AU, the closer to the South Pole the stronger UV radiation from the sun. Is that correct?

Lebowski

This guy has numerous complaints from sellers.
That would be the TFL solution :cool:
I agree with @handymike.
Moreover - Jonesy, I'd advise you to take all your leather jackets with you to Hawaii, plus you might buy any extra special leather jacket for specific Hawaiian use (actually, a couple more "special" leather jackets for that would be an optimal decision).
Here is that would be highly smart TFL solution and I'm almost sure - deep down most people over here would endorse your act!

AbbaDatDeHat

I'll Lock Up
I can see a budding leather jacket industry in the near future. Please remember your old friends come Senior Management time.
Bowen

jonesy86

I'll Lock Up
Excellent! So, will we see you on the Aloha shirt thread anytime soon? https://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/hawaiian-shirts-aloha-shirts.8923/page-57
By the way, if you click on that link, first thing you will see is your's truly, in Hawaiian shirt, leather jacket & fedora hat, I'll say no more.

Did someone say Hawaiian shirt, leather jacket, and fedora hat?
e3716695f5085a5b9e205a7e011fc0f0.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
As far as I know - that's the rule in Australia, people need to protect their skin from UV at your place. UV sun radiation is very strong and quite dangerous in AU, the closer to the South Pole the stronger UV radiation from the sun. Is that correct?

UV is a serious issue but I have no idea what the geographic science of it is or how we compare to other countries. Most people seem unconcerned about this and wear shorts and t-shirts and ignore the sun and don't wear hats. I have fair skin so I have to cover up. I learned that 35 years ago.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OldBoot