Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What motivates you to do your beauty everyday? Lately I cant find any motivation!

Stray Cat

My Mail is Forwarded Here
It makes me feel good to take care of myself, sort of it's own reward for me...makes me feel more confident and glamorous, listening to old love songs and gazing at myself in the mirror. I read before how you should spend time naked admiring yourself in the mirror to feel more confident about your body, that after a while you would get used to the reflection and start noticing things to like instead of things to be ashamed of.

Nicely put. :eusa_clap

..but I still won't stand naked in front of the mirror.. knowing my house, and the big possibility of my father barging in... :eeek: I don't wanna him to get a stroke... ;)

JezebelDiVine

New in Town
I put on my face every morning because it helps create the appearance of confidence and I find in general, when you look confident, people treat you better. In some ways, it's also an investment in my health - I want to look good when I'm older, so I try to take care of my skin now with moisturizer, sunscreen, etc.

Even if I feel lousy and completely disorganized, putting on make-up and making sure I'm wearing something that looks decent helps me fake being put-together. It also gives me one less reason to pass if a fantastic invitation pops up at the last minute.

Plus you never know who you'll run into at the grocery store.

I find this time of year is hard - here in New England it's been gray and nasty for what seems like months, so I'm sick of my drab hair, dull skin, and winter clothes!

Good luck getting inspired. Your avatar picture looks pretty and like you're having fun, so whatever you ARE doing for hair and make-up looks great. :)

Thanks ThePowderKeg, that was really sweet and you are right! Doing those things can at least help one appear put together.

JezebelDiVine

New in Town
I know I posted this a very long time ago but I wanted to sorta updates you gorgeous ladies and gents on somethings. Though I started to find that motivation something happened that has helped me: I got laid off. I know that sounds like ohhhh how cruddy, but I HATED my job and had no worries when that happened. Now I am unemployed but am rediscovering myself, I wear makeup more and I am not so sad. One part of my problem was my job! I am happy to see it go, I have decided to become a third grade teacher and couldnt be happier to have no job and nothing but time to work on me. Thanks for all your motivating posts. Have a beauty inspired day ladies and gents!

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
I know I posted this a very long time ago but I wanted to sorta updates you gorgeous ladies and gents on somethings. Though I started to find that motivation something happened that has helped me: I got laid off. I know that sounds like ohhhh how cruddy, but I HATED my job and had no worries when that happened. Now I am unemployed but am rediscovering myself, I wear makeup more and I am not so sad. One part of my problem was my job! I am happy to see it go, I have decided to become a third grade teacher and couldnt be happier to have no job and nothing but time to work on me. Thanks for all your motivating posts. Have a beauty inspired day ladies and gents!

I'm so glad to hear that. It takes real strength of character to put a good spin on otherwise bad news :) With your lovely make-up, all your students will be telling you how pretty you are!

Kishtu

Practically Family
The best time to train as a teacher if you ask me, Jezebel.... when the UK was last in recession a lot of my friends who are Viking re-enactors, when they got laid off went off and got re-trained as either archaeologists or history teachers - for the first time they had the time to do the training. It kind of kicks you off the treadmill....

Back on topic, I needed this reminder to get back into the habit of looking in mirrors. Presently off the eye make-up and contact lenses due to a rather depressing intermittent eye infection, so am wearing my dull horrible Miss Jean Brodie specs... which means I don't do my hair so it hangs over my face and I can't see said nasty glasses.... hmmmm. Perhaps I ought to consider working a spangly eye-patch for the duration :p

Marzena

One of the Regulars
Stray Cat, your eyebrows are downright IMPRESSIVE.
I try to follow the French wisdom: one will never have another skin and new facial features. If one lets things go to spoil, this will be it irreversibly.
I have lived with this philosophy since teen years and it has become as ingrained as brushing your teeth - no thinking, no questioning. Even at the worst times I always spent some money on good skincare.
Further to that, the French wisdom too: good skin, good hair do 90% of work, the rest is just a little makeup applied with the natural effect. And I do it equally mechanically.
The secret, I guess, is to start early.
I

carmine

New in Town

That's so fantastic! I'm so glad you found what you'd prefer to do and are making the most of the situation! I'm in sales, not loving it at all and not getting many shifts though I'm grateful for any. I decided I would prefer administration work, have been studying in my spare time to that end and any extra money from those shifts I used recently to buy the prettiest loveliest makeup I could find.

So even if nothing else I have is fancy and my job isn't fancy, when I get my fancy makeup out of my purse and make myself up I FEEL fancy. When I spend time on my makeup, hair or wardrobe I think I'm only going be this age once so I want this aged version of myself to be a glamorous one and when I'm 100 I'm going to be a glamorous version of my 100 year old self!

And I see here I'm not the only one :)

Nice thread!

Lenore

Practically Family
I had the best comment today.

I had been feeling poorly at the end of last year, but decided this is the year I take care of myself. I colored my hair, and re-cut my middy. I pulled out my favorite red lippy, and set my hair last night. In my job I have to wear jeans, but I paired them with a cardigan I haven't worn in ages, and my new boots. I'm feeling pretty good about myself today.

One of my installers came in to pick up some supplies and took one look at me and said "Lenore! You're back!"

Is lack of motivation really depression? I'm feeling this way and have since returning from vacation in the middle of December.
I go back to work tomorrow, and honestly, feel like I can't get in the swing of things... :(

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
Is lack of motivation really depression? I'm feeling this way and have since returning from vacation in the middle of December.
I go back to work tomorrow, and honestly, feel like I can't get in the swing of things... :(

I don't honestly think so. It's natural to feel a bit down after returning from a vacation or time off - You've gotten used to relaxation and "me time," after all! It's not hard to guess that you aren't looking forward to getting back into the swing of things with work, which is why you don't feel motivated to doll up (for perspective, compare how you're feeling about it now to how you would feel if you were going out on the town).

Doll up for work anyway, and don't get into the motivation-less cycle. You'll be glad you did. :)

I don't honestly think so. It's natural to feel a bit down after returning from a vacation or time off - You've gotten used to relaxation and "me time," after all! It's not hard to guess that you aren't looking forward to getting back into the swing of things with work, which is why you don't feel motivated to doll up (for perspective, compare how you're feeling about it now to how you would feel if you were going out on the town).

Doll up for work anyway, and don't get into the motivation-less cycle. You'll be glad you did. :)

Yeah, I thought I might get grief posting, but it matched my mood :)
Thanks for the motivation. You're probably right. Just need to get up, out and about again. Put on some new duds and I'll be OK. Have a great day!

Lenore

Practically Family
I wouldn't worry about it being depression, unless it lasts for a while. It's probably just a funk that you're in. C-Dot's right. Doll yourself up and you'll find yourself feeling better due to it.

After a few weeks of this, you'll feel better and more motivated. If it doesn't work and you're still feeling funky, try some vitamin supplements.. If that doesn't work, I'd see a doctor.

Just some thoughts from your neighborhood bi-polar nosey person.

I wouldn't worry about it being depression, unless it lasts for a while. It's probably just a funk that you're in. C-Dot's right. Doll yourself up and you'll find yourself feeling better due to it.

After a few weeks of this, you'll feel better and more motivated. If it doesn't work and you're still feeling funky, try some vitamin supplements.. If that doesn't work, I'd see a doctor.

Just some thoughts from your neighborhood bi-polar nosey person.

lol - not nosey - much appreciated reply. I don't hide my shortcomings. I believe in talking things out, and I fight with OCD, mild depression, and anxiety. All that means I also don't sleep well, so what a great catch I am! :)
Have a wonderful day #2 of 2012!

Lenore

Practically Family
Not trying to be nosey. As someone who was misdiagnosed for over a decade, I always seem to put my .02 in where mental health is concerned..

And of course you're a great catch! You admit to your problems and work towards solutions as opposed to ignoring them.

I'm a catch too! and I'm a co-dependant, bi-polar II with anxiety issues myself. :p

Amy Jeanne

Call Me a Cab
As a psychologist, it isn't clinical depression unless it lasts for at least 5 months. Normal depression is normal (lol) We ALL get into unmotivated funks, especially if our routines have been disrupted and we need to go back to them. Being depressed is a normal human emotion. It's CLINICAL DEPRESSION (5 months or longer) that is a problem.

/end being psychological and annoying lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy