Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What musical instrument do you play..?

Pilgrim

One Too Many
eaglerich said:
Pilgrim, is that an Ibanez to the left of the Ovation in the second picture? That's what I play, also a Yamaha FG-312 twelve string. Everybody in Las Vegas plays guitar and they all play better than me. I also play drums and congas. I'm a much better drummer than guitarist, but I can't play now because my neighbors in the apartment complex complain-can you believe it?

Yes, good eye. That's an Ibanez semi-hollow; it and the Ovation are both my daughter's. That Ibanex is a very nice guitar for the money. I'm not a fan of most of Ibanez' solid bodies, but I love the designs of their hollows and semi-hollows.

To the left of the Ibanez is my guitar - a 1960's Lyle hollowbody that is original and has the most wonderful blues sound you've heard. I found it at a flea market for a ridiculously low price. I just love the tobacco sunburst color. I've installed a replacement for the missing whammy bar to it so the tremolo tailpiece is functional.

Also, if you look in the bass pic you'll see both the Lyle (left side) and a Univox sunburst hollowbody bass that's essentially a mate to the Lyle guitar, but in even nicer shape.

Viviene

Vendor
I played the cornet from 2nd grade to graduation of high school in 1977. I moved it with with me cross country several times. This past year my daughter decided to play cornet so we refurbished my old Conn Cornet and she's been playing it ever since. I've played a few things for her and it came right back. Pretty amazing after an almost 30 year layoff. :)

Shimmy Sally

rockyj said:
Started about nine years ago. Something I always wanted to do but didn't have the courage to do when I was younger.
I know they are as much weapons of war as musical instrument, but I love the sound. My Mom always told me I should marry a man who played bagpipes. She said only a quality person would take the time to learn.

MrNewportCustom

Call Me a Cab
Does high school band count?

I played the piano a bit in elementary school, and then while in junior high, my mom got a Thomas electric organ. I learned quite a bit on that. Enough, in fact, for mom and dad to fund a stint in high school band. . . . Wherein I played the drums.

Now I sometimes pick up my . . . kazoo.

Lee

Oh yeah. I also play the radio and some CDs.

Pilgrim

One Too Many
koopkooper said:
I'm on the lookout for a Theremin to learn on. Not only a great instrument,but very rare and what a great talking piece!

I believe that with some searching on the web you can find directions on how to make a Theremin. I'm working from memory of a couple of years ago, but i believe I was involved in a discussion on another forum where a couple of members cited places they'd found them.

After doing a quick search, I found sites like ThereminWorld where plans and kits are available. I even found that Ebay sellers are auctioning articles by Bob Moog about how to build them.

Here's a page with some roundup info:

http://psychevanhetfolk.homestead.com/THEREMIN_linkspage.html

funneman

Practically Family
I have played guitar since I was a child. My dad played and left his Kay acoustic in the corner so I picked it up early on..

I just unloaded quite a collection of vintage guitars here:

http://guitarbroker.com/guittxt.htm#GRETSCHES

He still has my Gretsch, all the the others have gone.

I still have a Strat, Martin 6 string and a Guild 12.

I have a Marshall half-stack and a Peavy Delta Blues amp.

I've also played mandolin for about five years and a little harmonica.

funneman

Practically Family
koopkooper said:
I'm on the lookout for a Theremin to learn on. Not only a great instrument,but very rare and what a great talking piece!

I purchased a small inexpensive one from an ebay seller who uses the handle "Capt. Theremin."

This one is not very precise, but the kids in the neighborhood have a lot of fun with it at Halloween.

52Styleline

A-List Customer
Viviene said:
I played the cornet from 2nd grade to graduation of high school in 1977. I moved it with with me cross country several times. This past year my daughter decided to play cornet so we refurbished my old Conn Cornet and she's been playing it ever since. I've played a few things for her and it came right back. Pretty amazing after an almost 30 year layoff. :)

Fantastic. You are giving her a great start. I have a Conn Constellation trumpet and a Conn Coronet from my HS and college days and I wouldn't part with them for anything made today.

Viviene

Vendor
When I was a senior in high school I took beginning band and played the trombone. Then in college I took piano. I can still remember Brother Gerald Mueller from St. Edwards University in Austin, Texas yelling at me, "Nobile, stop playing that tarantella and work on your scales." Brother Mueller is in his mid 70s and still teaching at St. Edwards. He is truly a gem. One of my most favorite teachers of all time. Here's his home page:

http://www.stedwards.edu/hum/thtr/department/brmuller.html

He sent my girls a few of his children's books that he wrote about saints and they are among my girl's favorite books. We read them often. :D

eaglerich

New in Town
What a beauty!

Pilgrim, The Lyle is a beauty! I covet it. I love playing my Ibanez AS73, but something happened to the electronics yesterday and I'm taking it to the shop tonight. I guess I'll be playing my son's Epi Les Paul Standard for a while.

Sweet Leilani

A-List Customer
I started playing piano when I was 3. I like to tell people I could read music before I could read words! lol I'm OK, but I've kind of fallen out of practice on it.

In fifth grade I started playing the trumpet and have been ever since. I was a trumpet major in college and have been playing & teaching locally for a while now. It's my primary source of income which is something I never thought I'd ever be able to say! I have a brass quartet, and play in a semi-professional community band, The Quakertown Band.

As far as horns, I have Bach Strads in Bflat (43L) & C (220H), as well as a few vintage horns, like my Olds cornet, a couple bugles and an Eflat french horn. Here are some of the vintage ones, along with my piano, a Cunningham from about 1920- it's the piano I learned to play on as a kid.

100_1461.jpg

rocketeer

Call Me a Cab
Had a B flat Tenor sax 35 years ago, can play a few tunes on the mouth organ, but my favourite musical instrument is the piano accordion which I have started to learn again.

gear-guy

Practically Family
Grade school through high school the cornet and trumpet, but busted my lip during a basketball game and had to switch to baritone. Had a bigger mouthpiece. Once I started college never played again.

DesertDan

One Too Many
Piano and trumpet.
Started playing bass guitar when I was 13 and have been a gigging bassplayer ever since, 37 years now.
Played doublebass in high school orchestra but not since.

Chas

One Too Many
I started on the piano, I'd love to take it up again someday.

Tenor sax: I own a 1937 Conn 30M, a 1929 Conn New Wonder "Chu Berry" in nickel plate.
Alto Sax: a 1947 Buescher Aristocrat.
Guitar: a Fender acoustic and a Timber Ridge acoustic which is a wonderful copy of a Martin D28.
I can also sing, though my voice hasn't been trained in many years.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner