Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What musical instrument do you play..?

Mr_Misanthropy

Practically Family
I recently started taking piano lessons, and I was just wondering if anyone else here played an instrument. I've only been playing for a few months, so i'm no virtuoso. What instrument do you play? How long have you been playing? What types of music do you like to play? Are you, or have you ever been in a band? Also, if anyone has any cool vintage instruments to show off, please do!

gluegungeisha

Practically Family
I've played the oboe for five years, and I own a vintage 1940's instrument that was made in a small shop in France and played by a Dutch professional for many years, before changing hands and being sent to a family in Florida. I got the oboe on Ebay for an utterly RIDICULOUS $150! I don't have a working camera at the moment, but you'll just have to trust me when I say it's a thing of beauty.

I've also played the flute for six years, but it's not the best instrument for me -- I've got an arrythmia, so it's not too convenient for me to be playing the one instrument that takes the most breath! My flute is a contemporary Gemeindhardt -- a very nice instrument, with a gold plated lip piece.

I've tried out the guitar, but try as I might, I cannot get the hang of it! My mother gave me her cute 60's guitar.

Mr_Misanthropy

Practically Family
That oboe sounds like it was a steal! I can't wait to see it. One of these days, when I get better at the piano, and I don't live in a second floor apartment, I plan on spending some serious cash on a nice old piano. I've seen some nice ones on eBay, of course, getting it here is a challenge. Getting a piano anywhere is a challenge, I imagine...

rockyj

One of the Regulars
The Bagpipes of course.

Started about nine years ago. Something I always wanted to do but didn't have the courage to do when I was younger.

gluegungeisha

Practically Family
rockyj said:
Started about nine years ago. Something I always wanted to do but didn't have the courage to do when I was younger.

I wish I could play/ACQUIRE a bagpipe! This boy at my middleschool used to play the babpipe for the annual school talent show, and his act was always my favorite.

Mr_Misanthropy

Practically Family
I have always heard the bagpipes are extremely difficult to play. Lots of multi-tasking. That's interesting you chose to learn as an adult. I'm 24, and i'm just now starting. I've heard a lot of people tell me that since i'm out of my prime learning age (11-13), I should have no hope of being a very good piano player. But I believe that's nonsense.

erikb02809

One of the Regulars
Guitar and Bass 13 years, drums 9 years, tenor sax 14 years, harmonica 1 year. I play mostly garage rock, surf, and blues. I actually just got together with an old friend from high school for a musical project where we should start playing out soon. I was in a rock band that played in Providence and Newport RI from 97-99 called Dead Meat.

As far as guitars I'm sweet on, www.dipintoguitars.com has some great ones. I own two of their Mach IV's. I also own a reissue Fender Mustang and Fender Jaguar.

Rafter

Suspended
I play a Borgani Alto Sax and an Ovation Acoustic Guitar.
.......was in a group called "The Jestors". We did gigs in local pubs. Also did a few weddings. Now that was quite the experience!!

Bebop

Practically Family
I have been playing clarinet and saxaphones for about 40 years and cornet for about 5 years. I play enough guitar to play chords and write songs but I would not call myself a guitarist. I have 6 clarinets, one of them a bass clarinet, 4 tenor saxaphones, 2 altos, a baritone sax, a cornet, 2 guitars, a trombone that I picked up last year and can't play very well ( yet ) and too many harmonicas. I am a big bebop and traditional jazz freak. I have always wanted to play piano at least as well as I play my horns but it just seems weird to play something I can't use my breath to control. Maybe someday I will come around and sit at the piano. Musical instruments keep me out of trouble and relatively sane. :p

rockyj

One of the Regulars
As long as you try you'll always be in your Prime

Mr_Misanthropy said:
I have always heard the bagpipes are extremely difficult to play. Lots of multi-tasking. That's interesting you chose to learn as an adult. I'm 24, and i'm just now starting. I've heard a lot of people tell me that since i'm out of my prime learning age (11-13), I should have no hope of being a very good piano player. But I believe that's nonsense.
Yes it's difficult, so is everything in life:) People always have advice like the prime learning years, your fingers are not as nimbel, ect, etc, But if ya keep at it you'll be fine. When I started I took lessons along with twoo 10 year olds and eight year old and a 14 year old. of course the play better then me now (yes they do learn fast) they won awards before I did and moved to higher grade level in our band. However, I've been told lately by judges at the Highland games that I have a better over all musical expression then the ypunger players ;) So see things do work out. best of luck with your piping

Dutch McCoy

One of the Regulars
I played the alto sax in middle and high school but have not played it for about eight years. I actually gave it to goodwill a few years ago because I was tired of moving it but never playing it and now I want to take it up again. I also play some guitar but not well. I am getting better, though. Never really played in a band, either. Some friends and I "recorded" a "song" in our basement several years ago but it was just for fun. Nothing I can really repeat here.

Pilgrim

One Too Many
I started playing upright bass in Jr. High orchestra in 1964; in 19767 I acquired my first electric bass. I took 25 years off starting in 1973 and picked it up again in 1998. Now I have a few electric basses and my daughter plays guitar. Here is a shot of my "WOG" room (Wall O'Guitars):

WOG.jpg

2150895710055586528S425x425Q85.jpg

I play in a surf band and don't need this many different instruments, but I enjoy changing them. I've taken a few guitar lessons, but I think my fingers are only smart enough to play four strings.

RedPop4

One Too Many
I play the pipe organ and piano. Piano was my first instrument, I took lessons for ten years. I took one summer off in high school, and took basic organ lessons; enough to learn the stops and families of stops, as well as playing the pedals.

I've been serving as a Pastoral musician in some capacity or other since 1982, when I was still 15. I had a short, six-week sabbatical during Katrina and the evacuation, and first couple weeks back. Otherwise I've never taken more than two Sundays in a row off since 1983.

I used to be able to plunk chords on the guitar, and will likely pick it back up someday. I have an old violin, but it needs to be restrung and tested. Plus I'd have to find a decent book for beginners to work from.

My 11 year old son plays the flute, he has a Gemeinhardt beginner flute. Also on order is a Casey Burns wooden beginner Irish flute.

JazzBaby

Practically Family
Mr_Misanthropy said:
I recently started taking piano lessons, and I was just wondering if anyone else here played an instrument. I've only been playing for a few months, so i'm no virtuoso. What instrument do you play? How long have you been playing? What types of music do you like to play? Are you, or have you ever been in a band? Also, if anyone has any cool vintage instruments to show off, please do!

Congratulations! The piano is a great instrument to learn (I'm a pianist myself - how'd you guess?) I've been playing for fifteen years now, and there's still a lot to learn, but stick with it - it's a very rewarding experience when you play your first finished piece, even if it may not sound 'finished' to everyone else lol . I wish I had a vintage piano, sadly I have an electric piano due to lack of space...sigh, someday!

I also play guitar (badly!), harmonica, tin whistle and I'm learning the sax. Hard work, but lots of fun.

eaglerich

New in Town
Ibanez?

Pilgrim, is that an Ibanez to the left of the Ovation in the second picture? That's what I play, also a Yamaha FG-312 twelve string. Everybody in Las Vegas plays guitar and they all play better than me. I also play drums and congas. I'm a much better drummer than guitarist, but I can't play now because my neighbors in the apartment complex complain-can you believe it?

Mr_Misanthropy

Practically Family
rockyj said:
Yes it's difficult, so is everything in life:) People always have advice like the prime learning years, your fingers are not as nimbel, ect, etc, But if ya keep at it you'll be fine. When I started I took lessons along with twoo 10 year olds and eight year old and a 14 year old. of course the play better then me now (yes they do learn fast) they won awards before I did and moved to higher grade level in our band. However, I've been told lately by judges at the Highland games that I have a better over all musical expression then the ypunger players ;) So see things do work out. best of luck with your piping

Thanks for the encouragement, Rocky. My piano teacher mostly teaches kids, but luckily they're private lessons. He told me that adults who take lessons really get more out of them, mainly because they're paying for them. lol And I do agree with that.

JazzBaby, I know how you feel about the electric piano. Right now I've just got a keyboard. I had a chance to buy an older (nowhere near vintage) upright piano that was in pretty good condition for only $200, but, I live in an apartment on the second floor, and I'm not about to try to get a piano up my stairs, or maneuver through the hallways. Maybe one of these days.

I figured we had a lot of musicians here in the Lounge, and it looks like we've got quite a wide range. Basically a whole instrumental arrangement.

JazzBaby

Practically Family
Mr_Misanthropy said:
I figured we had a lot of musicians here in the Lounge, and it looks like we've got quite a wide range. Basically a whole instrumental arrangement.

The Fedora Lounge Jazz Ensemble. Has a nice ring to it. As long as we don't start fighting over the instruments lol

SinatraStyle

A-List Customer
Back in high school I played quite a few instuments, but my focus was on the trumpet. After graduation I put it down. I stumbled upon it (literally) in the basement a couple of weeks ago and played it for a few minutes. After about a decade I still remembered a bit!

Just recently (less than a week ago) I bought a harmonica. I love the outdoors, so part of the reason for the interest is for use around the campfire. I love the sound and the feel of old folk songs on the harmonica. I've learned a couple of songs already, so it is encouraging...but I still have a lot of learning to do!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner