Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What musical instrument do you play..?

Matt Crunk

One Too Many
I've been playing guitar for over 35 years (Started when I was 12. I'm now 48). I made my living through most of the '90s as a musician. While guitar remains my main instrument, I also play banjo, mandolin, lap and non-pedal steel, bass (both electric and upright), keyboards and percussion. Below is a photo of me playing one of my favorite guitars, a Gretsch 6120 Nashville model.

1502847_10153761379875077_696735154_o.jpg

Benny Holiday

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Very nice Nashville Matt! I've got a Epiphone Emperor Regent in a natural finish that is a gem to play jazz and blues on, and an Ibanez AFJ95 in vintage sunburst that's a great workhorse for live gigs too.

I started off playing bass at 15 and then guitar at 16. I still play bass to help friends out from time to time but I'm pretty much a singer/songwriter and that keeps me plenty busy.

DNO

One Too Many
Guitar, both acoustic and resonator, harmonica, penny whistle. With the arrival of arthritis in my left hand, my guitar playing has certainly declined.

galopede

One of the Regulars
The melodeon is my main instrument, the small button box you see in Irish music. I am the musician for a local morris side and also run a ceilidh/barn dance band playing mostly English country dance stuff. Pub folk sessions at least once a week. Just back from the Upton on Severn folk festival where I was running some of the dances.

I have four boxes at the moment, a hand made Italian Castagnari Tommy, my pride and joy which cost me a bit more than an arm and a leg (see avatar!), another Italian Dino Bafetti box, a Hohner three row Tex Mex style I picked up recently and haven't played and an old Cajun style one row. I did have a smaller Castagnari Lilley but sold that to a friend that I'm teaching to play. In return, she's teaching me fiddle!

Also play mandolin, octave mandolin, uke, Irish Tenor banjo and I still have a few guitars lying around I keep for sentimental value. Never bother with them much these days though.

I like the mandolins and Irish tenor banjo and fiddle as they are all tuned the same so no thinking involved whichever I pick up!

Think I have a few hamonicas here somewhere too!

Gareth

Last edited:

Retro Spectator

Practically Family
I improvise Boogie Woogie/Rockabilly/Blues/Swing on the piano. Sadly, the piano I have is terrible. It's one of those "keyboards", with 60 keys. It has 375 voices, and I only use one. The rest all sound fake, and make no sense.

I guess you can say I taught myself to play the piano. I used YouTube videos to learn riffs, and I taught myself the blues scale. I can't read music very well, but that doesn't really seem matter when the genres you play have lots of improvisation anyway.

I wonder if I could also learn to play the accordion, since they are quite similar to the piano. I could be one of the few people who play Rockabilly on the accordion, but I prefer the piano.

Last edited:

Veronica T

Familiar Face
Piano and Fender P bass.

At the age of thirteen, my friend Spewgie and I joined the pipes and drums corps and were issued old bagpipes until we could afford to get our kilts and pipes of our own. And faithfully every day after school we would practice in my backyard.

The bagpipes are the loudest, most annoying unamplified musical instrument known to womankind — especially in the hands of novices. It only took a couple of weeks until the neighbors started complaining.

To shut us up, our mothers acquiesced. Santa Claus would bring Spewgie a Stratocaster and I would receive a bass guitar for Christmas. Thank goodness they never found out that it was unnecessary for us to be so noisy with the skirl o' the pipes. There is a much more quiet flute-like recorder for practicing.

Sometimes I wonder if I had pulled that stunt a few years earlier if I might have gotten that pony for my birthday. And if he didn't keep his side of the bedroom clean that is his problem.

I wish I had the technical knowledge so that we could form a Fedora Lounge Cyber Band — like these kids from Scandal Heaven:

[video=youtube;zmJ3ZSr6d_w]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmJ3ZSr6d_w[/video]

fashion frank

One Too Many
Piano and Fender P bass.

At the age of thirteen, my friend Spewgie and I joined the pipes and drums corps and were issued old bagpipes until we could afford to get our kilts and pipes of our own. And faithfully every day after school we would practice in my backyard.

The bagpipes are the loudest, most annoying unamplified musical instrument known to womankind — especially in the hands of novices. It only took a couple of weeks until the neighbors started complaining.

I've been playing since 1995 and if played right they are the most beautiful sounding instrument known to mankind especially in the hands of someone who knows how to play them!

All the Best ,Fashion Frank

Veronica T

Familiar Face
I've been playing since 1995 and if played right they are the most beautiful sounding instrument known to mankind especially in the hands of someone who knows how to play them!

So sorry. That is an error in grammar. I should have deleted the "especially". I love bagpipe music. Otherwise I wouldn't have joined a pipes and drums corps. The same corps which marches in my village's Fourth Of July parade. What if things hadn't worked in Spewgie's and my favors?

FUN FACT: Japanese women are the best highland pipers.

vitanola

I'll Lock Up

All the Best ,Fashion Frank

In college I roomed with a fellow who was a champion piper. In those days he was internationally prominent in Highland piping circles, particularly as an expert in piobairechad. Having this year-long experience with the Duedelsack, I believe that I know good piping when I hear it.

I've heard quite enough of it to last three lifetimes.

I would much prefer to spend my days listening to a room full of five-year-old Suzuki students playing their exercises.

Heck, when I see a record of the two piano arrangement the Polka and Fugue from Švanda dudák I get sweaty palms.

Last edited:

Bugguy

Practically Family
Mom forced me to take piano lessons... trumpet was so much cooler. Many, many band years and I never made it past 2nd chair. 1st chair studied under Renold Schilke, principal trumpet for the Chicago Symphony (he also worked in his factory pushing the dent balls up the bell). The horns are all gone, but I still have my Schilke mouthpiece.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner