Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What pens are we carrying today?

Dave E

One of the Regulars
The pilot 78g turned up today. I filled it with Parker quink and away I went. Writes beautifully, but is very fine. Half an hour in and I am considering something with a slightly heavier line....

Thanks for your advice guys. The fountain pen will join my everyday carry items along with my marbles compass, Beattie jet lighter and pocket knife...

Japanese pens like Pilot are well known for putting down a finer line than western pens. The M nibs in my Pilot Vanishing Points (great pens, by the way) are closer to a F from a Pelikan.

If you're looking around at other pens, Lamy are always well regarded and make some very affordable and good quality pens. I'm a fan of Pelikan, and the M200 is a good entry point (I use an M800 a lot, lovely pen).

Dennis Young

A-List Customer
I have a Crossfountain pen but I have never been able to get it to write smoothly. I have followed the instructions in the booklet but it will write a couple of letters, then stop, then start writing again. I've cleaned it and all that. My frustration with it has led me to give up and just use rollerball or ballpoint pens.

I also have a vintage David Kahn Pioneer fountain pen my grandfather used prior to 1936. (He died in '36). It is plastic or Bakelite or something similar. It has a lever on the side to load the pen with ink. I'm not sure, but the nib looks to be plastic! Or maybe its just a piece where a nib screws onto it, I dunno. Cant see how ink would flow through this bit of plastic. I'll try to make a photo and load it up for you guys if you want.

I have a Crossfountain pen but I have never been able to get it to write smoothly. I have followed the instructions in the booklet but it will write a couple of letters, then stop, then start writing again. I've cleaned it and all that. .

Flush the pen out with 1/4 non-sudsing amonia and 3/4 cold water a bunch of times. You can substitue regular 409 for the ammonia. If it still skips try Private reserve Tanzinite.

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
Today I am using this:

IMG_0312.jpg

1942 gold-filled Conway Stewart

I am using an older Esterbrook (Dollar Pen?) the ones with the 2 holes in the clip. It's a sliver color body and i had replaced the nib with a medium point. I am using a mix of Private reserve Velvet black with their midnight blue.

I grabbed my Rotring Core with a broad nib to do a little screen play writing. If you have never seen a Rotring Core they are sort of the Nike Air version of fountain pens. They were really inexpensive student pens with smooth writing steel nibs. Depending on the production time they may take a converter, mine does and i am writing with Pivate Reserve Velvet black.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
usleathermart