Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What pens are we carrying today?

w5eo

New in Town
I would be carrying this one in my wallet, but its 40-year-old ink cartridge has gone dry. Anyone know where I can get a refill for Dad's old GI Skilcraft? I know it's NSN Part/No: 7510-00-543-6792 but I haven't yet figured out where a civilian can purchase them!

76E34067-EEDD-437B-8E30-EFE79C7E741F-1473-0000017EBAF339A1.jpg

Thanks!

Forget getting refills because they are sold in bulk only and are plastic. Just get a box of new Skilcraft government pens and take one of the refills to use in your old pen. They are very cheap, about $9 a dz.

Super picture, W5eo!

Alan, you are the consummate collector, no? I await your debut in the Shoe thread!!

<smile>... you hang around long enough and the stuff accumulates. Much easier to load than to unload, no?

I did love pens at one point in time. Somewhere I still have a few hundred bladders for restoring them.

Edward

Bartender

Very nice. Do Parker still do this model? Most recent Parkers I have seen in wide usage have been Vectors (nice pens, but a little slim for my hand) and Frontiers (actually very impressed with these for the money. I have two or three I picked up new for buttons. Work really well with a converter; nice writers.

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
My Honey bought me a Meisterstruck Diplomat 149 and I am very impressed with it. It writes amazingly well. I love the oversized nib and the piston fill is classic. It's very nice and pushed my Schaffer aside for a bit!

My Honey bought me a Meisterstruck Diplomat 149 and I am very impressed with it. It writes amazingly well. I love the oversized nib and the piston fill is classic. It's very nice and pushed my Schaffer aside for a bit!

I know people that are big fans of Montblanc, while they are really neat I like to reccomend a Pelikan 800 of 1000 for the same job, they are also quite nice.

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
I know people that are big fans of Montblanc, while they are really neat I like to reccomend a Pelikan 800 of 1000 for the same job, they are also quite nice.
I've had bad luck with Pelikans. I really wanted to like them and for the same reason as I like the 149. But I had two and both were quitters. It was disappointing.

Btw, to date the most reliable pens I have had were Watermans and Schaffer. The least were Conklins, Esterbrooks, and the Pelikans. Purely my experience and not indicative of any universal truth.

I just bought my girl a retractable nib carbon Nimiki Vanishing Point and she loves it. I tried it out and it writes quite well, but I don't like where the clip is. It's perfect for her job as an Asian art appraiser.

I've had bad luck with Pelikans. I really wanted to like them and for the same reason as I like the 149. But I had two and both were quitters. It was disappointing.

Btw, to date the most reliable pens I have had were Watermans and Schaffer. The least were Conklins, Esterbrooks, and the Pelikans. Purely my experience and not indicative of any universal truth.

I just bought my girl a retractable nib carbon Nimiki Vanishing Point and she loves it. I tried it out and it writes quite well, but I don't like where the clip is. It's perfect for her job as an Asian art appraiser.

Remarkable thaat you would have run-ins with Pelikan. I have owned 8 and haven't had a problem. i was going to get one a non-numbered model as a gift but the feed was mis-cast and it leaked. i was surprise it made it past any inspections.

My Conklin Glider seems to be bullet proof.

You might take a peek at Richard Binder's website he has specialty nibs for the Vanishing Point. I have an Italic for my VP from Richard.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy