Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What pens are we carrying today?

bbshriver

One of the Regulars
Lamy Logo fine tip fountain in my shirt pocket, and Fisher "Bullet" space-pen in my wallet as a backup.
I love Fountains but like the space-pen... it ALWAYS works first time.

Ledfeather

New in Town
not vintage, but i carry a fisher space pen, in the 'bullet' body, not the real bullet looking one, but the barancusi buck rogers looking one. love it

Ledfeather said:
not vintage, but i carry a fisher space pen, in the 'bullet' body, not the real bullet looking one, but the barancusi buck rogers looking one. love it
These are well liked by many as a "writes first time every" time pen.

There is a time to not use a fountain pen, where a Sharpie (magic marker) is better, such as writing on the aluminum foil wrap of a food item headed into the freezer or writing the title on a cd you just burned.

R.A. Stewart

Familiar Face
The usual on a workday: English Parker Duofold button fill (late 40s-early 50s?), Mont Blanc ballpoint. Sorry, I don't know more details on these; I just write with them and consider myself lucky to have them. :)

~Rich

FountainPenGirl

One of the Regulars
Hi, If I may chime in. Today I used a Waterman Philea with the filler for bottled ink. I was using Sheaffer Skrip blue ink. The pen is not very old but has a great style and writes very nice. Sometimes in work I'm in a dirty environment so I don't use the vintage pens as often. Although outside of work I use vintage pens much more often.

HI FPgirl!

I have probably 80 fountain pens 2 vintage for every new modern pen. I tend to take out of the house only fountain pens that would not cause great pangs of regret if lost or stolen myself.

Today Lamy Studio with 14K medium nib and Privat Reserve Velvet Black.

jporgeck

Familiar Face
Fountain Pen

Just picked up a Pelikan Toledo medium tip fountain pen. Filled it with Levenger cobalt blue. Wow, I didn't know a fountain pen could glide across the page like this thing.

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
Today's pen is an old Sheaffer School Pen, ca 1980. I grew up writing with these and they're just wonderful, idiot-proof, tough, dependable fountain pens.

FountainPenGirl

One of the Regulars
Hi again, Today was just a Parker Vector cartridge style. Nothing too specail but again I does write nice.
Another thing along these lines could be "What watch do we have today?" I don't know if that would go along here of if a person should start a new thread. Well anyway today's watch is a 1916 Elgin G.M. Wheeler 17 Jewel in a gold case. I am not as big a fan of the cases as I am the watch movements themselves. As long as the case is in good condition and looks/functions ok I'm happy. The movements themselves are the work of art. This watch is a 16 size so could still be used as a ladies watch. Don't forget ladies that we carried pocket watches too. Wrist watches didn't start to show up a lot until the teens. Of course there were also the pendant and broach watches too. A lot more fun than trends of recent.

fluteplayer07

One Too Many
My daily FP is a Pelikan M200, F nib. I have a Waterman Phileas as my 'beater' pen. And my first vintage FP is a Waterman hard rubber Ripple 55 with an extra fine semiflex nib, awaiting transaction come the start of next week. Can't wait 'til I get this one! 1930's, if I'm not mistaken. But John would know for sure, I imagine. In fact, can you tell me anything of the history of these Ripple 55's, John?

Cheers,
flute

The hard rubber pens start as some of the earliest pens and there are examples of mixed red & black pens from around 1905, The hard rubber gets used until the early 1930's. My pen books are buried right now but usually we find 1920's pens most. Flex nibs from Waterman are less rare as are Wahl Eversharp but more rare from Parker or Sheaffer. A nice ripple will almost look like some type of wood grain effect and are considered a bit of a rarety compared to the single color black or red.

Some of the single color pens will have a pattern embossed into the body and cap, this is called chased.

I have a 52 with a nice flex nib, but haven't found a ripple in my hunts yet.

I did get and then sold a Waterman Safety pen that was black hard rubber where the nib, feed and section sort of twisted up into place to be used.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy