Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What reaction do you get?

fashion frank

One Too Many
Hello all ,
I am wondering what is the most common reaction that you get when you go out on the town dressed to the nine's ,complete with hat and the rest?
Speaking for myself I always get the " wow,you look sharp " or " I really like that hat" .

One time when I was up in Boston picking up my newly cleaned and reblocked hats and wearing the suit ,tie and boater hat you see in my avatar , a nice woman said to me " You look like you are from another time period " .
I told her " thank you thats what I was striving for " .

Then I got two more nice comments before the afternoon was even over.

I am wondering what type of reactions do most of you guys and gals get when you go out and hit the bricks.

All the Best , Fashion frank

Last edited:

Whislerm

New in Town
I hear alot of "I love your hat" whilst in line at a store. Then of course alot of the, "you going to a wedding/funeral?" I like the "from another time period" comment.

jodbirch

New in Town
I sometimes get "I like your hat/tie/sunglasses!" from strangers, but mostly it's co-workers who (good nature-edly) say things like "You look like a dapper chappy today" or some other ridiculous comment. There are some days where I feel like I'm sticking out like a sore thumb, but I soldier on and keep telling myself that there's no need to apologize to the world for trying to look like a decent gentleman.

nice hat dude!

One Too Many
If I'm not mistaken there are a few threads about this topic already started,I'm sure if you read a few of the forums you could find the proper one that will give you the information you seek.Hope all things are good with you on the east coast after the storm.

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
I get lots of compliments. Ranging from "Nice hat, man!" to "It's nice to see someone make the effort to dress up these days" (or words to that effect).

I did ONCE get a bad comment, but it was of such a nature that it would not be suitable to bear repeating here.

Other than that, never.

fashion frank

One Too Many
I wish I did recieve comments (aside from the lounge). I only recieve stares & laughs. Guess I can take them positively [huh]

The funny thing that I notice about people who do what you have stated above is that if it's a male you can bet that they do that not because "you look funny " it's really because you are showing them up as they look like a bum and your looking good ,it's like a defense mechanism for them [huh] what are you going to do !

All the Best , Fashion Frank

The Good

Call Me a Cab
I think I got this a couple of times the job interview one a couple of times. I wasn't wearing a hat then, but in my opinion a hat will go a pretty long way in warding off the interview/wedding/funeral comments. I think in modern culture, a hat may make it somehow less stern and businesslike, and more casual or laid back; fun. I wear my hats a lot more than suits, but sports jackets get worn regularly. I have even found a handful of days in which to wear a raincoat or overcoat. I've got the cowboy look sometimes, too. Whether a modern Stetson Open Road, or Akubra Snowy River paired with khakis/jeans and a work shirt or western shirt. Maybe it helped that I was wearing the Snowy River (with a compliment), but I was told I sound like Clint Eastwood too.

Last edited:

rjb1

Practically Family
You get some unintentional odd comments if you are a WWII-reenactor and go with the group to a MacDonald's after an event. It is not unusual for people to come up and say "Thanks for your service." Since there are almost always some real veterans in the group we let them say thanks, and just let it go for the rest of us. It's easier to do that than to try to explain things.
Even stranger, I have heard of German reenactors in full SS outfits getting the same sort of thanks from the public. I think they also just let it go and don't try to explain.

Retro Spectator

Practically Family
I rarely get comments, but when I do, they always tend to be positive. I dress vintage styled/retro daily, and I usually just get stared at. The most common comment I get is the nonsensical "Nice suit" when I am wearing one of my sport coats. When I am not wearing a sport coat, which is only on days over 80 in the summer, the most common comment is something like "You look dapper". I occasionally get comments on my spectator shoes (I actually only have one pair of non two tone shoes, and they are my loafers), but that is not the most common. I never recall getting a single comment on my hats. I find that kind of odd, since I always wear wide brims.

rjb1

Practically Family
US or SS - the average public doesn't know anything about uniforms of any type. It's easier just to be polite and not try to explain things. Why make someone who's trying to be nice feel uncomfortable by pointing out their error?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails