Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What should one do to an old coat or new jacket to protect it or restore it?

Evian

New in Town
A lot of us buy used vintage jackets sometimes in slightly rough shape. Especially if the previous owner omitted some info. I was wondering what you guys use to restore the color or shine to your jackets? Can a leather jacket be washed in a washing machine? If so, how? Can a leather jacket be ironed? If so, how? What do we do with a new jacket to soften it? Please share any special or unique tips on bringing a vintage jacket back to life.

Peacoat

Bartender
Your question is about protecting or restoring old or new jackets. For the life of me I can't see how washing a jacket, or ironing it, would either protect or restore it. If you want to break in a new leather jacket, or age it, there is an extensive thread on this topic a while back. There are a whole bunch of suggestions there, some good and some not so good. I don't have time now to look for it, but if I get a chance later, I will see what I can find for you.

For a new jacket, the consensus of the experts on this board is that no conditioner is needed and none should be applied to new leather. If the leather is aged and dry, use Pecard Leather Dressing. It is made not too far from you in Green Bay. Shipping ought to be fairly quick, except for later this week when the town departs for Dallas. Pecard is an excellent conditioner. I imagine there are others as good, but Pecard gets the nod from most of the U.S. posters on this board. The link is below:

http://www.pecard.com/index.html

PrettySquareGal

I'll Lock Up
I don't recommend my method of protecting new to me vintage coats and jackets- I don't wear them. I know, against the law almost but they are irreplaceable so I keep them safe in my closet where I can try them on and imagine wearing them and then I put them back.

Forrest

Familiar Face
I don't recommend my method of protecting new to me vintage coats and jackets- I don't wear them. I know, against the law almost but they are irreplaceable so I keep them safe in my closet where I can try them on and imagine wearing them and then I put them back.
Ha! Good point. I almost started a thread about this very conundrum (although, I'm sure one exists somewhere in this forum already!). It is a Catch 22 of sorts, if you wear your vintage/antique clothes, invariably they will get worn in and damaged. But, if you hide them in your closet, they may as well not exist at all, and no one really enjoys them. What to do?

Ha! Good point. I almost started a thread about this very conundrum (although, I'm sure one exists somewhere in this forum already!). It is a Catch 22 of sorts, if you wear your vintage/antique clothes, invariably they will get worn in and damaged. But, if you hide them in your closet, they may as well not exist at all, and no one really enjoys them. What to do?

Unless they're in a museum for all to enjoy, wear 'em! The key is to own enough that you don't wear them out :)

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
A lot of us buy used vintage jackets sometimes in slightly rough shape. Especially if the previous owner omitted some info. I was wondering what you guys use to restore the color or shine to your jackets? Can a leather jacket be washed in a washing machine? If so, how? Can a leather jacket be ironed? If so, how? What do we do with a new jacket to soften it? Please share any special or unique tips on bringing a vintage jacket back to life.

Pecards leather dressing to restore color and life. Washing will only age it. Ironing.... are you serious? If you are, no.

Last edited:

PrettySquareGal

I'll Lock Up

I look at it like money. Some people say what good is it if you don't spend it. I like to bank a healthy savings- it's peace of mind to know that if I need it, it's there. Same with vintage clothing. I like to "bank" some. I enjoy taking things out, even old linens I'll never use. I admire them then put them back for safe keeping. There's value in knowing it's there "just in case." :) But once I have a healthy savings, only then will I wear something vintage and prized because I know I have a healthy reserve.

There's no right or wrong way! :)

Fifty150

One Too Many
Option One is to find a reputable leather shop in your area. They'll usually consult with you on what to do with your particular item. In most cases, you can clean and re-condition leather that isn't too worn out. In some cases, repairs can be made.

Many brands of leather cleaner and conditioner are available over the counter. I usually use saddle soap, mink oil, and good, old fashion, shoe polish.

L'Onset

Familiar Face
and if the said coat is shearling?

What to do with dryed shearling?
I have an old "marlboro-man" style coat from my father-in-law and it is quite dry on the outer side.
I've read many posts about the use of pecards and other similar products on leather, but nothing for shearling or suede.
Sometimes an idea comes to my mind: To spray it with a mixture of milk, olive oil and moisturising agents, but there is no reason nor evidence for it to work.

Anyway, if I don't find a reliable advice on others experience I may do it and then will be able to post my results.

dr greg

One Too Many
I have an old Hercules bike jacket that became utterly riddled with mold in the recent Big Wet here, all up inside the sleeves it was just caked with it, so i took a punt and threw it in the washing machine..the water turned BLACK, and one pocket virtually fell off, but after a good drying out and some neatsfoot oil it's looking pretty good, the only other option would have been a complete relining at a cost of god-knows-what....it's leather after all!
Your shoes can usually take a hiding can't they.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy