Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What size block do I need?

Snrbfshn

A-List Customer
I want to get a domed block to use in cleaning and shaping my hats. What size do I need for my 7 1/4 hats? I see them listed as a "20" or "22." Is that circumference? I saw the plastic ones at Hat Shapers, but if I want wood, what am I looking for?

carldelo

One Too Many
As far as I understand it, for American sizing, Circumference = (Hat Size) x Pi, so a size 7.25 hat would have a circumference of 22.78" or about 22-3/4".

Spatterdash

A-List Customer
REMEMBER!

A block for hatmaking should be your hat size,
but a block for cleaning and reblocking should be...

-one size smaller.

Otherwise, you'll be removing your sweat band every time you want to use the block, even for just a quick brushing.

Stoney

Practically Family
Snrbfshn said:
I want to get a domed block to use in cleaning and shaping my hats. What size do I need for my 7 1/4 hats? I see them listed as a "20" or "22." Is that circumference? I saw the plastic ones at Hat Shapers, but if I want wood, what am I looking for?

Note that the blocks are sized to form hats prior to installing the sweatband. As a result they run a little larger than the size stated to allow room for the installation of the sweatband after the hat is blocked. Bear this in mind when buying one. If you are going to reblock hats with the sweatband still installed and you use the same size block as your hatsize , you will end up with a hat that is larger than your size.

It depends on how the size of your head relates to regular hat sizes.
For instance I'm a 6 3/4 LO and a 6 3/4 is too tight while a 6 7/8 is a little loose.

I have both sizes of blocks. I use the 6 3/4 block to re-block hats that still have the sweatband in them. Since The 6 3/4 is sized slightly larger than the sweatband in a 6 3/4 hat, this block stretches the sweatband slightly and I end up with a perfect fit.

I use the 6 7/8 block when re-blocking a hat without a sweatband. This leaves plenty of room to install the sweatband in the hat without making the hat too tight. Once the sweatband is installed I usually block again with the 6 3/4 block and the hat fits like a glove.. err hat.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR