Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Size Button for 1969 Pea Coat?

VintageJohn

New in Town
Hi guys, I was hoping for some advice regarding button size for a 1969 'Dale Fashions' navy issued Kersey Pea Coat....

I've just received the Coat from VintageTrends.com & apart from a 1" tear in the lining, and the inside button missing, it's in very good condition.

Basically, I'd like to replace the button that's missing with an original & that matches the rest to keep things authentic...the problem is though, this will need to be ordered from the US, and want to make sure I order the right size, first time :confused:

The existing black buttons measure exactly 30 millimetres side to side (diameter), however as you guys in the US tend to use inches, etc.....what size should I be looking for?

Also, as I've never held a needle & thread, how difficult would it be to sew this button on i.e. is it relatively easy?

I do have one other question regarding another button, who's thread is loose & needs to be re sewn (behind lining)......would I need to unstitch the lining to do this, or can it be done with the lining intact?

Please excuse the many questions!

Any help/advice would be much appreciated :eek:

Peacoat

Bartender
The black buttons for peacoats are all the same size: 1 1/8" or 1 1/4". Each time I measured, I got a slightly different measurement. Your measurement of 30 mm comes in right between the two. I think the official answer is 1 1/8", but I have seen them advertised on eBay as 1 1/4." Readily available through eBay.

I answered the button sewing question a day or so ago. Below is the link to my answer. No need to take out the lining, just don't sew through a pocket; it is easy to do. If you have other questions, let us know. We have the answers.

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/show...Navy-Peacoat&p=1755987&highlight=#post1755987

Last edited:

VintageJohn

New in Town
Thanks for your advice & clarifying P.......that's why I was getting so confused & unsure which size to get - due to the variations!

Also, great link....I watched the videos, & does look straightforward - I'll have a go once the button's received.

By the way & apologies if this's an obvious question - if you don't remove the lining.....how do you stop the needle getting lost behind when pushed through?

VintageJohn

New in Town
Thanks again P....I asked because one of the existing button threads (which is loose), doesn't go through the lining, that's why it seemed a little difficult to replace.

Doctor Damage

I'll Lock Up
Regarding Ligne measurements, buttons were traditionally and are still measured that way, but I know a reputable Canadian military button company who has screwed up two of my orders, so now I just specify millimetres since it's hard for anyone to screw that up as long as they have a ruler!

Oh and Peacoat's right about being careful not to sew through a pocket, been there done that, lol

Last edited:

andyfalzon

Vendor
Interesting. How about this then?

IMG_6609.jpg

Doctor Damage

I'll Lock Up
^ Looking through that USN uniform guide (1993?) which I linked to a while back it says on the enlisted ranks pea coats the buttons are 35L.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic