What Song Would You Like Played At Your Funeral.

Discussion in 'The Observation Bar' started by The Rag And Bone Man, Apr 8, 2013.

1. ThesFlishThngs

ThesFlishThngs One Too Many

My husband and I discuss this now and then (usually over a couple bottles of wine, with old music playing), and his choices have been made: "I've Got a Lovely Bunch of Coconuts", to begin, 'cos that's the sort of fellow he is, and finishing with Al Bowlly doing "Goodnight Sweetheart".
    I have such a wide, wide range of musical passions that I don't think I could pin down one song. If those putting me in the ground want to sing me away, they're free to choose. As long as it's old and/or obscure. If they play something sappy and modern I may have to pull a ghostly prank.

2. loosebolts

loosebolts Familiar Face

Miles Davis Summer time. no question about it.

3. bburtner@moran

bburtner@moran Banned

No funeral for me!!

4. LocktownDog

LocktownDog Call Me a Cab

Immortality!

5. wdw

wdw One Too Many

"We Have All the Time in the World" - Louis Armstrong. A lovely song with meaningful lyrics that combines some things of significance to me - love for a good woman, something beyond this life and it's also a theme from our favourite James Bond film, OHMSS.

That film is set in a part of Switzerland (the Jungfrau Region) we've visited many, many times over the last 30-odd years and we've even walked up the mountain it's set on. Many happy long-term memories, that film and the beautiful song are for us inextricably linked.

6. Dr Kilroy

Dr Kilroy One of the Regulars

It's not a song, but...

[video=youtube_share;sPlhKP0nZII]http://youtu.be/sPlhKP0nZII[/video]

Best regards, Dr

7. ortega76

ortega76 Practically Family

I would prefer a quiet party instead of a wake and funeral. I'd like "Take 5" by Brubeck played.

8. BigFitz

BigFitz Practically Family

"How to Disappear Completely(And Never Be Found Again)" by Radiohead. It is a melancholy song but I wouldn't want it played for that reason. To me, it's a beautiful song and is one of the few songs that make me shiver. Plus the opening line is appropriate. "That there, that's not me".

9. kyboots

kyboots Practically Family

One I forgot as the casket goes out is Sinatra's " I Did It My Way".

10. Mr.Astor

Mr.Astor Banned

Willie Nelson "blue eye's cryin in the rain"

11. sheeplady

sheeplady I'll Lock Up Bartender

I would like "Both Sides Now" to be played.

"I've looked at life from both sides now
    From WIN and LOSE and still somehow
    It's life's illusions I recall
    I really don't know life at all."

12. HeyMoe

HeyMoe Practically Family

As sick as it sounds, I have had my funeral planned since I was 17 (something that you think about early on when you enlist in the military).

At the funeral, as I am being carried out, a friend (dressed at the Grim Reaper) will dance out to Queen's "Another one bites the dust". My whole family knows that this is to happen. I just hope they are able to find a church or chapel that will allow it.

Other than that, Taps as I will be having a military funeral

13. Foxer55

Foxer55 A-List Customer

Last edited: Nov 27, 2013
  14. TOuten2

TOuten2 Familiar Face

Sounds of Silence by Simon and Garfunkle...I don't know why, it just always seemed FUNERAL-ish.

15. cchgn

cchgn One of the Regulars

Amazing how many folks, despite a lifetime of not believing, end up wanting something like that. I know of lifelong Christians who, at the end, wanted to believe in re-incarnation.

Also, many cultures have used music to move the deceased to the "other world". Many, like those in New Orleans, upbeat, joyous music.

My Father wanted( and got) "I'll weather My Storm" played. My Brother, was me to play "Dust in the wind" on my Martin flattop.

16. LizzieMaine

LizzieMaine Bartender

I don't care if there's people in the afterlife or not. But there damn well better be cats.

As for my funeral music, I want Leroy Shield's "Little Dancing Girl," as performed by the Beau Hunks Orchestra. And as it's playing, I want there to be a couple of silent-movie type comedians among my pallbearers who will drop their end of the box and get into a pie-throwing fight over who caused it. If my funeral's going to be held in a theatre, I want to get laughs.

17. Blackthorn

Blackthorn I'll Lock Up

I'm a Christian too, but Amazing Grace has been done to death. For mine, I have told my wife to have Wayfaring Stranger played.

I'll soon be free from every trial,
    This form will rest beneath the sod.
    I'll drop this cross of self denial,
    And enter in...to rest with God.

18. TOuten2

TOuten2 Familiar Face

Another song I've considered is "A Fine, Fine Day" by Tony Carey.

It's a fine, fine day for a reunion
    It's a fine, fine day for coming home.
    You did your sittin', you did hard time
    But you ain't gonna sit no more, they cant keep you there no more
    It's a fine, fine day

19. Virginia Creeper

Virginia Creeper One of the Regulars

I imagine I'd want this played at some point:
    [video=youtube;_TXNSipWUiE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_TXNSipWUiE[/video]

20. DesertDan

DesertDan One Too Many

[video=youtube;ZkcpmbHevZQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZkcpmbHevZQ[/video]