Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What sort of flight jacket weather are you having these days..?

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
It's here - highs are only supposed to be in the fifties and sixties for the rest of the week. (Alas, the humidity is hanging around too. But at least it won't be in the eighties like yesterday!)

fedoralover

Call Me a Cab
This is the first year I've actually looked forward to cooler weather. I only got to wear my Aero Real Deal about 4 weeks this spring before it got too hot. I've been able to start wearing it again and get it a little more broke in.

IMG_20070417_0001_r1.jpg

fedoralover

Baggers

Practically Family
No such luck here. A "cold" front moved through yesterday but the high today was still in the upper 80s so everything still hangs in the closet, waiting patiently. Perhaps in another month...:rolleyes:

Cheers!

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Definite Irvin weather here in Trondheim. It's 4 degrees C this morning so three guesses what I'll be wearing today. Actually I've been wearing my Irvin fairly consistently, especially in the evenings, for several weeks now.

Speedster

Practically Family
Not Irvin weather yet here in Denmark (but maybe Spitfire does not agree to this when he gets that delivery from Scotland in the next couple of days;) ). Changing between the A-2, B-10 and Tanker Jacket. Today it's the Tanker Jacket.

Edward

Bartender
Ah, well. It has finally (despite the ghastly and unseasonable sun that keeps cropping back up here in London - tomorrow we are allegedly to have a high of 25C. In October!!! The end of the world is nigh, I tells ya...) gotten too cold for my beloved mc leathers most days now. I'm also out of the Burberry (at least for as long as it takes to acquire a liner!) for the winter, and into a wool overcoat over the blazer most days. For casual wear, Sunday night I broke the peacoat out for the first time this season. If I had an Irvin / B3 / B2 it'd be getting some regular wear about now, though there are days when a B2 or M442 I think would be what would be called for, especially as it can get surprisingly warm on the tube at present. Probably the perfect all-rounder for this point in the weather, I think (guess, never having worn one) would be the B6. Hopefully this time next year I'll be posting about flight jackets I actually own rather than wish I had..... I think at this ponit in the year, my realistic aim is to aim to raise the money for a really nice A2 to see in Spring 08. :)

Edward

Bartender
nightandthecity said:
sorry wingnut! Got a bit carried away....some of us had been getting worked up about pre-distressed jeans over on another thread, and brought some of the angst across!

Heh, that's nothing. You guys really should see some of the open hostility that breaks out on guitar forums over "reliced" Fenders. lol Yep, new electric guitars which are subject to a process of artificial distressing to make them look like they've been played hard for anything up to fifty years. Believe me, were some of those arguments run offline, there'd have been teeth lost! lol

Me, I like stuff to develop a bit of a patina - I'd ideally love all my leather jackets to get the that 'just broken in' point and stay there forever... I find half the fun is in doing myself, though. I would be instinctively wary of the idea of paying a premium for a new, pre-distressed jacket which inevitably will have a shorter life than a new as-new one will. On the other hand, a slightly beaten up old leather does look superb, and if it came that way used at a much cheaper price than new, so much the better. ;)

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Do it Edward, sure they cost a bit of money but it's something that you'll get a lot of use out of.

OldSkoolFrat

A-List Customer
Terrible!!

Supposed to be cooling off here soon. Can't wait to take the ol' Aussie convertible out for a spin!!! Driving cap, driving gloves, leather flight jacket, and scarf and the Mrs even has one of those WASP jackets.

Edward

Bartender
Smithy said:
Do it Edward, sure they cost a bit of money but it's something that you'll get a lot of use out of.

Certainly. It's a bit of a shock to the system when I'm used to being able to get a very nice cowhide Brando style mc for around the USD200 mark (Maybe, just maybe, one day I'll be able to justify to myself a real Schott Perfecto) to look at spending so much on a leather jacket, but I will get a lot of wear out of it. The two black mcs in my wardrobe (the other is a cafe racer style, for those days when I want something more casual than a sports jacket in the office, but don't want to wear a Brando style as that would be perceived as making some sort of a statement, even something as innocuous as "look at me! I'm a real-life rebel!") get a lot of wear, and while my weight has fluctuated a bit in recent years, I've stayed the same jacket size all along, meaning that I've now had five and four years out of those jackets with regular wearing and they're still both good to go for at least that again.

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Getting to peak season here in the LoHud. Still a little sunshiny and 60ish afternoons, which can heat up the outside of the leather and the inside of the wearer. Looking forward to a little bluster and cloud - maybe even a drop or three. (Never thought I'd say that!)

Raymundo

One of the Regulars
It is definitely flight jacket weather here in Michigan now with temps steady in the 40 - 50 degree F. We have had warm weather for this time of year but now it feels like Autumn and A-2 season. Time to break out the goatskin G&B.

Ray

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy