Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What sort of flight jacket weather are you having these days..?

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
WE come from all corners of the globe. So weather dictates what flight jackets we can reasonably wear and when.
I'm in the UK, it's northern hemisphere and it's autumm/fall now. So getting dampish, coolish and muddy underfoot.
Soooo, I'm finding I'm wearing mostly my B-15 (cloth jacket, olive drab, alpaca lined, tight green knits on waist and cuffs, offset zip, pen holders on left arm beneath AAF decal, big blackish brown furry collar! just for those who aren't sure what it is). I just seem to be grabbing it all the time right now guys. A2's aren't getting a lookin at all. Occasionally, I'm grabbing my BoB Irvin flying jacket (the stereotypical big RAF wwII sheepskin jacket), when there's a nip in the air, but the B-15 is the workhorse right now.

SO WHAT'S YOUR FLIGHT JACKET WORKHORSE RIGHT NOW...?
ForumB152.jpg

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
Too hot in Wonderful Copenahgen today- seems we're having somewhat of an Indian Summer. But rest assured, the M422-a is ready and waiting to be donned when the Scandinavian Autumn eventually hits-

Did some Hat-Antique-ing in the City today- some interesting discoveries... :rolleyes:

B
T

MikeyB17

One of the Regulars
It's been unseasonably warm down this way too-A-2 weather, just barely at night. Tried wearing my 7823 (Aer) G-1 and it's still too warm. Wore my Buzz Rickson B-15B to the last ever night at Exeter Speedway on Monday, expecting to be chilly standing around in the cold, and was uncomfortably hot and had to shed some layers. Good job I didn't wear the B-3! Got covered in flying shale too (all part of the fun)

MB17

jake431

Practically Family
It's just been a little too warm in the lower and mid 60's here in Chicago. Quite lovely actually but hovering above the point I'd don my newly acquired RMJ Stagg B-10 (I missed my old one so much I got a new one!).

Soon though, soon!

-Jake

green papaya

One Too Many
the weather is still too warm average 86 degrees and I have my air-conditioner on right now because the air feels dry and stuffy.

no jackets yet, maybe next month or by mid Novemeber

The Wingnut

One Too Many
I get the most use out of my $80 horsehide Sporty's Pilot Shop A-2. It's actually surprisingly accurate. The liner is nylon and a few of the finer details of a proper repro are missing, but it doesn't have handwarmer pockets, has a collar stand, properly spaced patch pockets, and 2-piece sleeves. It's actually a better fit than my U.S. Authentic A-2, which, while far more accurate(and I've still got some complaints, such as the knits and the weight of the leather) is very blousy for a size 38...then again, I'm a size 36, so I shouldn't complain too much.

can_opener_03.jpg

I've beaten it into submission and it looks almost like a well-preserved orginial. In this shot, I'd only had it about 6 months, which was nearly 2 1/2 years ago. Now the paint is nicely aged but not flaking, and the finish is rubbing off around the seams and in the areas you'd expect with prolonged use.

I tend to wear an A-2 year 'round. The summers here do hit triple digits, but they're not particularly hot. I'm also known for being impossibly cold-blooded and being able to wear long pants and a jacket in any weather. I haven't consistently worn shorts in probably 10 years. I have a few other jackets (including a cheap mall B-3 lookalike) that I'll don when the weather gets particularly cold, but usually you'll find me with an A-2 on my back.

shamus

Suspended
I've been wearing the Aero A2 (jerky horse) About 3 years now I guess on this one. I especially enjoyed the rain today. The horsehide stands up so well. If it gets colder I'll don the B-10, although I also have a half-belt that takes it place sometimes.

It's just to warm to wear my D-1. I used it in the midwest all winter long, but here in LA, even if it was cold enough, I'd feel silly wearing shearling. It's LA.

As to breaking in, my A2 still has a few more years to go. My son finally outgrew his. He's almost 6 now and arms are just too short this season... yes I did get my son his very own A2..

Jake

One of the Regulars
I've been wearing my FS historical horsehide for about three weeks now, mainly at night. I wear it as much as possible as I'm trying to get the aging process going. I'll soon be sending it out for a paint job by Jerome of Milwaukee. Jake

nightandthecity

Practically Family
yesterday A2 with T-shirt, jeans, fatigue cap. Today Highwayman, wool shirt, beret. At this rate tomorrow will be Irvin, wooly pully and B2 cap (Yorks/Lancs border, UK)

green papaya

One Too Many
Jake said:
I've been wearing my FS historical horsehide for about three weeks now, mainly at night. I wear it as much as possible as I'm trying to get the aging process going. I'll soon be sending it out for a paint job by Jerome of Milwaukee. Jake

I heard wearing your jacket to bed will help speed up the "breaking in"
and help mold it to your body shape.

I wore my Cooper A2 to sleep for two weeks to give it that well broken in fit.

jake431

Practically Family
green papaya said:
I heard wearing your jacket to bed will help speed up the "breaking in"
and help mold it to your body shape.

I wore my Cooper A2 to sleep for two weeks to give it that well broken in fit.

It will also keep you warm at night when your girlfriend makes you sleep on the couch or goes to sleep on the couch because she considers you insane. Not that this has happened to me, of course...

The other trick to ageing an A-2 is to tie it in a ball and kick it around the house.

Anyway, my B-10 will be getting some wear this week, the temps are supposed to drop. I just put an original Conmar slider on it. Bring on the colder weather!

-Jake

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
It's finally cool enough here - north of NYC - for an A-2. I'm wearing my US Authentic horsehide for the first time today. (And I did wear my current-spec FS/G&B goatskin one day last week when we had torrential rain.) I've basically been wearing my Wested Indy jacket for the last few weeks, 'cause its much more comfortable than either of the A-2s when the high temps are up in the 60s.

My FS/G&B M-422A is due to arrive sometime next week, so I figured I should give my horsehide A-2 some wear before I'm totally smitten with the new Navy jacket...

Hondo

One Too Many
In Northern California were still in late summer mood, I love the snow and rainy season, its been about 80?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s, but should start getting cooler, mid 70?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s, with rain in a few weeks, so it?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s A-2 weather in the Sierra?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s late at night, I love the drive up early in the mornings, you can almost hear the rumbling of bombers on training missions above clouds. Come Halloween weekend South Lake Tahoe is where I?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢ll be, I have an older banana republic leather jacket, it will have to do until I can afford either Aero or eastmans A-2, both aren?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢t cheap by any means. Should fun :cheers1:

grant

Familiar Face
It was cool and rainy today in NYC so I was wearing my RMNZ Dubow for most of the day. I'll be up early tomorrow am hitting the flea markets when it's nice and cool - maybe even B-10 weather.

Grant

green papaya

One Too Many
I like to wear my A2 jacket while driving on a cold winter day and try to imagine Im flying in a B17 Flying Fortress while driving down the hwy on a cold winter night.

Jake

One of the Regulars
Cockpit time on A2

Thanks to the cold weather here in Wisconsin, I've added about 40 hrs. of cockpit time to my current A2.
dashboard.JPG

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24