Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What sort of flight jacket weather are you having these days..?

Hondo

One Too Many
Hey Jake thats cool, you're a real pilot, out standing :cheers1:
Grant! You had me, I thought that was youre jacket with the patch :cool2:
I do like the one your wearing, needs to be weathered, still cool look'n :cool:

Hondo

One Too Many
BellyTank said:
But WW2 flight jackets didn't get issued in 'weathered' condition...

That A-2 looks like the best kind on the market: 'Real McCoys'- very nice Grant.

B
T
Oh yeah I know, It just means he'll have to wear it more :cool: Great look'n Grant!!!
Geez I see eastmans A-2 is price over $825 smackers, Ouch!!! really nice.

grant

Familiar Face
You're right that jacket needs some major breaking in. Up until about two weeks ago it's been too warm for A-2s here in NYC but from here on in I plan on beating it up. It's pretty cool here today - almost B-10 weather!

Grant

Jake

One of the Regulars
Hondo said:
Hey Jake thats cool, you're a real pilot, out standing :cheers1:
Grant! You had me, I thought that was youre jacket with the patch :cool2:
I do like the one your wearing, needs to be weathered, still cool look'n :cool:
Hondo thanks, we have a few other pilots here as well. Andykev and flyboy to name a few....and even with that plane, I still pretend I'm flying a P-40 or Spitfire or Corsair etc......Jake

Hondo

One Too Many
Doctor Strange said:
It's finally cool enough here - north of NYC - for an A-2. I'm wearing my US Authentic horsehide for the first time today. (And I did wear my current-spec FS/G&B goatskin one day last week when we had torrential rain.) I've basically been wearing my Wested Indy jacket for the last few weeks, 'cause its much more comfortable than either of the A-2s when the high temps are up in the 60s.

My FS/G&B M-422A is due to arrive sometime next week, so I figured I should give my horsehide A-2 some wear before I'm totally smitten with the new Navy jacket...

Hey Doc! Is that Garcia, Areo or Eastmans? I'd love to purchase a eastmans horsehide A-2 and thinking very hard (cost wise) shelling out (glup) over $825 smackers, I have an old Banana Rep. leather jacket, its nice and soft (cheap at $300) but it wouldn't keep me warm enough if I ever got stuck out in a blizzard, and I'm the adventurous type (driving through snow storms) Got to own at least one good jacket (A-2) :cheers1:

Hear hear "Jake" and all you REAL fly-guys, The feeling must be awesome to fly, I only rode in B-17, it was a real great thrill. I always wished I could, guess some of us only get to fly in our dreams, I'm lucky they (DMV) lets me drive LOL. Carry on :cheers1:

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
Hondo - No, it's not an Aero, Eastman, etc., just a standard US Authentic horsehide model that I got a few years ago. A darn nice jacket for about half the price of the premium makers. (Getting a truly *exceptional* A-2 repro is still something I am looking forward to doing someday.)

Now I'm wearing my new G&B M-422A, which is a beauty!

The Wingnut

One Too Many
On the topic of weathering an A-2, I 'weathered' my beater using a method developed by an acquaintance - some of you may recognize him via the method.

Basically, turn on your shower as HOT as you can get it. Soak the jacket. Wear gloves so you don't get scalded.

Now, the scary part. Put it on, push the sleeves up to your biceps and wrinkle the leather up. Zip it up, and move through the full range of motion several times. Remove it, leave the sleeves 'telescoped', and roll it up as if you're camp packing. Roll it up TIGHT. I folded mine with the left and right breast facing each other and then rolled it. Put a plastic bag round it and tie it off to keep it compressed. Rubber bands will do the same thing, but they'll leave 'tracks' in the leather.

Stuff it in a corner. Leave it there for a day or two.

Pull it back out, hang it up to air dry, out of sunlight.

This wrinkles it up pretty well...totally eliminates the 'I just bought it and it smells like a tannery' look / smell. The sleeves will be broken in, without that stiff resistance that a new jacket has.

This last step is optional...take a piece of 600 grit sandpaper while the leather is still somewhat wet, and chase the seams until you begin to get through the dye. Use your discretion as to just how much to remove and how far along the seams you go. Start on the obvious wear points: Shoulders, collar, elbows, cuffs, zipper / wind flap, pocket edges & flaps, etc. Many people would balk at weathering a expensive and new jacket this way, so it's obviously not for everyone.

My A-2 instantly aged 5 years after this process.

shamus

Suspended
Holly Cow!

Why would you want to do that to a jacket? It sounds like a terrible thing to do.

That's just like buying beat/torn jeans. I'm sure it shortens the lifespan of your jacket too.

That can't be good for the cotton threads that hold it together.

Call me Old School, but I believe just as in "jeans" you earn the look by owning them for years, the same holds through with flight jackets.

Sure I want mine to look great with a great patina too, but you get that by wearing it, over years.

If you want it too look old, then buy it old.

The Wingnut

One Too Many
I'm wearing that A-2 right now.

People have mistaken it for an original many times. The aging process does nothing to compromise the integrity. It's still in excellent shape, it just looks battle-worn.

'course, I paid $80 for it originally, but I did spend more on the painting than I would have on an accurate repro!

nightandthecity

Practically Family
shamus said:
If you want it too look old, then buy it old.

I'm with you Shamus, there's plenty of used jeans and jackets available, and with real patina that can't be faked. Why pay top whack for something that has already had half the life beaten out of it? Even crazier, why pay top and then trash it yourself? If I was a third world peasant---jeez, if I was my own grandparents for that matter....I'd see this as the height of modern western decadence.

The Wingnut

One Too Many
I'd see this as the height of modern western decadence.

Sheesh.

You guys are making me regret that I even posted anything. It's going to age regardless of what you do to it, I'd rather my jacket NOT look brand new. Too showy.

Zemke Fan

Call Me a Cab
ZF << Breathing easier now...

The Wingnut said:
I paid $80 for it originally, but I did spend more on the painting than I would have on an accurate repro!
Well, I'm glad to know you didn't put the big bucks at risk! My comment wasn't meant to be critical. Just ANOTHER of my lame attempts at humor...

nightandthecity

Practically Family
sorry wingnut! Got a bit carried away....some of us had been getting worked up about pre-distressed jeans over on another thread, and brought some of the angst across!

The Wingnut

One Too Many
Ah. Understandable. Personally, I like my jeans to be clean, unfaded and in good repair. On the other hand, I'm of the opinion that a leather jacket should have character and not look like an overpriced showpiece.

Bebop

Practically Family
Some of you may call me slow but.......I still don't understand why you would want to buy a new jacket and then not want it to look new but buy new jeans and want them to look new. Is it just certain clothing items that are better looking old, or is this a jacket thing? I like my leather to look nice although not uncomfortable. Is that it? It is too uncomfortable when new? That is a terrible thing to do to leather.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
StrangeRay