Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What sort of flight jacket weather are you having these days..?

Harp

I'll Lock Up
A2 weather

Chicago has been enjoying a mix of Indian Summer tinged with
occasional cooler weather. Not exactly a cold, crisp autumn yet,
much less real A2 weather.:(

esteban

New in Town
Damn humidity!!

We are slowly drifting to summer around here... There is no worst thing than a hot & humid summer in Buenos Aires.
No jacket weather at all, at least until May next year...

Septimus

New in Town
HI everybody,here in paris the wheater is fine ,clear and bright.While riding my triumph bonneville .i wear my Aero leather clothing bronco's A2 and it's just perfect.I'm waiting for the delivery of my duo tone eastman leather B3 for the end of this month.Just in time I hope ,for the cold days.

Harp

I'll Lock Up
A2 Weather Report

Chicago is expected to get a touch of cold frost this week,
so it looks as though Indian Summer may be leaving....
Just ordered a horsehide A2; anticipating a hard winter ride.lol

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
November 06: Scottish borders (Irvin weather)

The Irvin has been getting a beating recently at 6am in the morning on my local beach, walking the dogs! It's still dark then, starry skies, windswept beach and dunes, rabbits coming awake, and a chill in the air as the breeze comes in from Norway and the Arctic! brrrrr.
But Mr Irvin is doing his job nicely and I'm like toast!!

Update: Been doing a course over past few days and threw on my A2 Pre-War Dubow by RMNZ. It's lightweight, but when just travelling in the car and then straight indoors, it's quite a nice change from the heavier sheepskin.

Marv

A-List Customer
just broke out my ELC Irvin in anticipation of the colder weather to come, currently wearing my Aero indian g/s A2 for general usage.....what a jacket it's so comfortable and already seemed broken in when I bought a couple of months ago for the sum of £100 brand new, bargin. :)

SPAD

New in Town
We just made it over the pass (Snoqualamie in the Cascades) yesterday, and have 7 inches of snow on the porch and it is still coming down. Put the old standby long johns on under the pants with the quilted insulated Blizzard Proof jacket. SPAD:eek: :D

Harp

I'll Lock Up
Indian Summer

Northern Illinois has been enjoying a mild Indian Summer;
which augurs a mad dash toward 'Ol Man Winter with predictable
falling temps, artic Canadian blasts, and snow. Wore the Burberry
trench today due to rain, and settled for a light windbreaker earlier this
week. Glad I sent that horsehide back to its corral--but still haven't recd
refund yet!lol

Fatdutchman

Practically Family
It's been 65-70 degrees here the last several days. That's gonna change, though by Friday. Pretty dramatically, too, they say.

Baggers

Practically Family
I've only just broken out the A-2s and my Wested Raiders jacket in the last couple of weeks, and even then it's been more wishful thinking than anything else. The last three or or four days, I've gone back to my Filson safari jacket, but our first real Norther blew through earlier this evening and currently it's 41 degrees F. and dropping. The forecast is for ice and snow later tonight and into tomorrow. And this after a high of almost 80 today. Hello Texas! I'm now considering pulling the Aero Irvin out of storage. To quote one of our politicians during the last presidential election, "bring...it...on!" lol

Cheers!

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
It has finally gotten cold enough here on the Central Coast area that I may need the F-1 "Blue Bunny" heated suit under the clothes in the mornings.;)
nored212.jpg

Ok, maybe the F-2 heated coat under the Wested Raider just to take the chill off.
nored208.jpg

Cheers!

Dan

dfrancis

New in Town
Doctor Strange said:
My FS/G&B M-422A is due to arrive sometime next week, so I figured I should give my horsehide A-2 some wear before I'm totally smitten with the new Navy jacket...

You're going to love that jacket. I'd be interested to read your review on it... if it hasn't already been posted. I'm on the road a lot these days. Just got back from D.C., WV and going to Eglin in a couple weeks. All with perfect flight jacket weather conditions. Here at Camp Pendleton it's good too, wearing the 422A this week. Going to Burssels in January, but it will be both too cold and OPSEC foolish to wear Yankee flight jacket.

Patched out my USW G-1 with six ship patches, 7TH FLEET, the U.S. Flag and nametag from active duty. I'm bummed that the flag was not properly mounted so I have to take it back. Anyhow, that jacket is only appropriate for walking the dog, smoking cigars or Meerschaums back in the ol' covered porch, and driving the convertibles (Bug - GT Mustang).

Maybe hanging out at the Legion if the weather's right but my Post is back in WV and as you know when it's cold out on the East Coast they keep the heat blowing inside so it's too dang HOT! Dulles airport in December/January must be a hundred inside.

Cheers

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
Gee, I got that jacket about a year ago! This season's new jacket is an At The Front (imported) Tanker that just arrived a couple of days ago.

I like my FS M-422A, but I am not as ga-ga over it as many folks here and on the jacket forum seem to be. Since I have never handled a vintage G-1 or M-422A, nor any of the premium repros, I really don't have much to compare it to... It's definitely a very nice jacket - good materials and well made. It fits me about as well as I expect from an off-the-rack size, and it's certainly comfortable to wear (moreso than my A-2s). But the goatskin doesn't seem especially "outstanding" - it's nice, but really pretty similar to the hide on my FS Civil A-2, which cost $150 less. I do think that the mouton and the knits are very good (especially against those godawful synthetic knits on the Civil A-2).

Like I said, I'm no expert on this type of jacket. I do enjoy wearing it, but it just doesn't excite me the way that my A-2s do. I guess I'm just more of an Air Force guy...

Baggers

Practically Family
Funny you should mention your ATF imported Tanker because right now I'm wearing my ATF import copy M1941 jacket that arrived yesterday. I think it's an excellent item for the price. Fits perfectly, well made, and a nice darkish shade of "Happy Khaki." It blends in perfectly with the M37 OD wool trousers (Also ATF), HPA Rangoon shirt in "pinks" shade, and jeep cap that I'm wearing to ward off the chill while conserving energy via a lower thermostat setting. Substitute a small portable typewriter for the computer keyboard, and I probably look like Ernie Pyle sitting here pecking away. lol

I'm kinda like you, I may pick up an M-422 one of these days, but my first love will always be Army jackets. I still have to find my dream A-1 before I can spend any money on Navy jackets!

Cheers!

SamReu

One of the Regulars
Spokes Man

Days in Georgia lately have come with a ghost of frost on the porch -- dew, frozen, from the night before. Your breath hangs in the slightest cloud before evaporating. The mornings are perfect for an goatskin A-2 with a cotton sweater underneath, which is precisely what I chose this morning.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shiny hats