Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What sort of flight jacket weather are you having these days..?

greyhound68

A-List Customer
Been kind of cold here in N. CA in the evenings so been wearing my RMNZ B-6 or my new B-15B mod Buzz Rickson which is real nice. During the day it warms enough to wear an A-2. Been rotating my Buzz 21996 and my RMNZ Dubow.

Harp

I'll Lock Up
Great weather, unusually warm but still A2 weather.
However, I wore a field jacket today and I should have grabbed
the A2 instead...

Marv

A-List Customer
Naff rainy weather here in my part of the UK (as usual lol) and rather warm for this time of year so no Irvin but my A2 is getting a bashing though.

Steve

Practically Family
Down this way, it's been wet, with the temperature between 40 and 70 depending on the time of day. I've been wearing my Cooper A2 fairly often.

silhouette53

One of the Regulars
Chilly in Brum

Birmingham, England - Winter - Wet - Cold - Depressing. Leave for work in the dark - return home in the dark. Wearing a G1 to work at present, the fur collar is comforting when I get into a cold car. Feels a little warmer than my A2.

Colin

Atticus Finch

Call Me a Cab
Hi Folks,

Here in North Carolina, the first week of January has been more like early May. I stubbornly wore a goatskin A-2 on Wednesday and yesterday, but today I just gave up and wore no jacket at all.

Atticus

NextStepGuy

Familiar Face
Windy and rainy in the Pacific NorthWest

Rain is a pain... I was wearing my aero veste de rallye today (I need matching brown shoes for that puppy.)

When it stops raining, hopefully this weekend, I will switch back to my new B3 because it usually starts to get colder when it doesn't pour.

SPAD

New in Town
In the low 30's outside and raining, basically miserable stinkin weather. Have to wear the rain jacket, reminds me of my time in Newfoundland with the junior birdman society. Wore the quilted jacket out for a few minutes and started to get soaked, wet, wet, rain. Probaly wear the G-1 a little, needs some rain on it. Ciao, Bill[huh] :mad: :eek:

NextStepGuy

Familiar Face
Rain on Leather

I got my coats spread with Pecard lotion and cream. Is water a real issue for my goat and horse hide jackets?

NextStepGuy said:
I got my coats spread with Pecard lotion and cream. Is water a real issue for my goat and horse hide jackets?

NSG
IMO....water is good. Helps break-in..,and molding to shape. Especially concerning HH. However..I'm not a big fan of the cardboardsmooth new Cadet look A2...or civi HH jacket. I think a little worn-in charactor is a good thing. I,also,go very sparingly on conditioner.
HD

Baggers

Practically Family
I'll back up HoosierDaddy on this one. Getting them wet occasionally really helps the breaking in process. Take a walk in the rain and wear it while it dries out and the leather will start to mold to your body.

Also, if the jackets are relatively new, I wouldn't even think of using a conditioner on them unless they are in obvious need of it.

Cheers!

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Agreed. When there's a decent sprinkle outside, I often put on a horsehide jacket and go out in it for awhile. It really helps with softening the hide and over time, contributes to the gnarliness of the leather. I also have been spot-treating mine with hot water now and then where the leather is annoyingly smooth.
Horse, as I understand it, has a natural ability to handle moisture.
"Waterproof" doesn't seem the right term as the water does soak in. But it dries very quickly.
One note - don't hurry the drying process with any leather by adding warm air or sitting it near a heat source. Best place for it to dry is on your back.

greyhound68

A-List Customer
Agree with the others above on getting them wet in the rain that is. I have had success with the hot water treatment but I use it very sparingly most of time on the collars which works well. Don't use Pecards on a new jacket it is not needed.

Septimus

New in Town
Today the weather in paris isn't cold ,the rain isn't too strong ,nevertheless i wear my international barbour jacket .perfect weather for waxed cotton.

nerdator

New in Town
perfect jacket for the summer

hi everybody,
there is so much talk of weather and climate :), a perfect chance for me to jump in :) I would like to know if you can recommend a really good jacket for warmer days. I've been having an eye on an Indy Jacket from Wested, well, it looks light, but I am not so sure. I have no experience with A2s or similiar jackets. Would it be a good choice, at least for springtime or early summer?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24