Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What temperature is your cut-off for wearing a leather jacket?

Justhandguns

Practically Family
I think around today's temperature in London, overcast, 17-18C max. That's for something like J100 type of thinner cafe racers. I think even an A-2 with wool knits would be a bit too much.

Plumbline

One Too Many
I generally travel in a leather jacket ( and I travel a fair bit) .... and weight adjusts appropriately ( not mine .... the jacket :) ) ... Sheepskin for the cold, Heavy Lined for the Spring / Autumn and cotton lined for the Summer.

A lighter Goatskin, AN6552 or an A2 ( my two have two inside pockets in the lining in matching cotton) get worn even to SE Asia .... I might not wear it all the time but it'll get worn in the plane and in AC locations and the pockets give me somewhere to put things like phone, passport etc. ( although I sweated my ass off walking a long way between trains in Shenzen last summer in a AL Roadster .. too heavy and too warm !). Overall for casual use and general wear up to 25 DegC is probably my max. As a consequence, I can generally wear a leather most of the year in the UK ... especially in the early mornings or evenings.

On the bike I wear a textile most of the winter but a leather occasionally in the summer with my Forcefield or Draggin' shirt ( I don't care how hot it gets .... I'd rather be safe and protected than worry about sweat marks) ... I also wear gloves, boots and draggin' jeans. Many years ago I wore T-shirts, shorts and sandals .. and ended up with 17 stitches in my leg and various other ailments after having to put the bike down ..... decided not to do that ever again :(

tropicalbob

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Anywhere around 70F, which means I get about four months of wear, plus travel. I have the lighter liner in my LHB, but the fit is so perfect (thanks to Julie Leitch) that I can wear a fairly warm sweater under it if need be.

dan_t

Practically Family
I'd say that the answer is not only an individual thing, but relative.
If you exist for most of the year in a tropical climate of 30+ degrees C & 'winter' drops to only 20 degrees, this will probably feel quite cool.

For around Sydney, Id say that anything above 20 degrees & the leather is off the menu......
Unfortunately, this really only relates to around 3 - 4 months of the year at best.

The sheer physical exertion of carrying the weight? [huh]

lol They're heavy alright, but no Vanson or Schott that I had owned got this hot. My CR or J106 would become an oven after only a few minutes of exposure to sun, even though it wasn't that insanely hot outside in the first place.

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
this kind of thread again that would make me sound like an oddball...

I live in a constant equatorial tropical climate, with a little bit of elevation so the wind is fresh enough but the sun is HOT.
my ideal temp is between 20-30C. I can wear mine in that range comfortably depending on the under layer.

Joao Encarnado

I'll Lock Up
There was about 2 years I wore a leather jacket all year. The place I used to work always had air conditioning in the max cold possible so the jacket was really cold when I step out in the summer and remained cold until I get home.
Nowadays I wear them until it's too hot to bare them. I still work on a cold place but not so cold, so this year was until the first week of May.

Novos

One of the Regulars
this kind of thread again that would make me sound like an oddball...

I live in a constant equatorial tropical climate, with a little bit of elevation so the wind is fresh enough but the sun is HOT.
my ideal temp is between 20-30C. I can wear mine in that range comfortably depending on the under layer.

I suppose it just depends on the person, I'm guessing you don't sweat much! I'd be swimming...

Dumpster Diver

Practically Family
Its late may and since I ride a bike to work, its Aprox 30 Miles one way, I do this 6 days a week. There will be almost 1000 KM on my bike by the end of November. I wear a Biker Jacket because most of the trip is highway, and its deadly...I sweat but not so bad, its good to have a leather Jacket on the days when it still cools off pretty good at night. I will have to probably give this up when if it gets any warmer and stays Humid in June...even then on some cool nights in June I have put my Leather Jacket on from time to time.

Dr.Seuss

One of the Regulars
FQHH, up to 80 F in Denver (it is very dry here); but only a t-shirt, beneath. I found it broke in, much quicker, this way.

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
60s

Around this time of the year the A2s & sheepskin are stored.
I rely on a soft light leather A1 . Especially when I visit the grocery store
which is quite often. That place is always very cold.

SpeedRcrX

One Too Many
+1 except if the wind is up to 80km/h...

At the moment, we have wind for a week and a half... It's tiring but the bright side is I get to wear my Sheene

devilish

A-List Customer
As Summer has arrived here in SF, I'm thinking about breaking out the Irvin. Today is cold and damp. Or at least it will be until about 3:30pm when the sun will come out for a couple hours.
Generally though I can tolerate a leather jacket up to about 70 degrees.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points