Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What the heck does Jughead wear?

foamy

A-List Customer
I read somewhere that union factory labor started with a stripped out fedora, pull it tight on to your head, fold up and cut the edge you wanted. Labor buttons where adornments. The fella below was fond of grommets. I can see where they'd be practical in a factory or industrial environment.

9-282x300.png

johnnycanuck

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Oh, well, hell. Now I have to get one. Good thing my birthday isn't far off or I'd have no excuse whatsoever...basic black I s'pose...
The colours are deceptive. You need to look at the Instagram page to get a better idea. The red is actually orange, the green is more of a moss colour. Really weird. The toss up between this and a fez as a fun useles hat, I think I choose Jughead. At least give me a place to display my pin collection. ;)
Johnny
BTW you can find them slightly cheaper on Amazon.

Last edited:
The colours are deceptive. You need to look at the Instagram page to get a better idea. The red is actually orange, the green is more of a moss colour. Really weird.
I see what you mean. All the more reason to go with black, I suppose. On the other hand, I prefer the shade of green in the Instagram photos; more along the lines of what we used to call "pea green", slightly lighter and brighter than the U.S. Military's "olive drab". *sigh* Now I gotta' toss a coin to see which one to get.

The toss up between this and a fez as a fun useles hat, I think I choose Jughead. At least give me a place to display my pin collection. ;)
Johnny
BTW you can find them slightly cheaper on Amazon.
I agree. I've been thinking of getting a fez for myself, but I honestly can't imagine where or why I'd wear it. One of these "Whoopee caps", on the other hand, I'd wear the heck out of because it'll amuse and/or annoy all the right people. Haven't seen them cheaper though, $44 whether it's their website or Amazon. Or were you referring to shipping costs?

Last edited:

johnnycanuck

My Mail is Forwarded Here
The colours are deceptive. You need to look at the Instagram page to get a better idea. The red is actually orange, the green is more of a moss colour. Really weird. The toss up between this and a fez as a fun useles hat, I think I choose Jughead. At least give me a place to display my pin collection. ;)
Johnny
I see what you mean. All the more reason to go with black, I suppose. On the other hand, I prefer the shade of green in the Instagram photos; more along the lines of what we used to call "pea green", slightly lighter and brighter than the U.S. Military's "olive drab". *sigh* Now I gotta' toss a coin to see which one to get.

I agree. I've been thinking of getting a fez for myself, but I honestly can't imagine where or why I'd wear it. One of these "Whoopee caps", on the other hand, I'd wear the heck out of because it'll amuse and/or annoy all the right people. Haven't seen them cheaper though, $44 whether it's their website or Amazon. Or were you referring to shipping costs?
I can see wearing this cap when curling up with a book on a cold winters night.
As you say it’s the kind of hat to annoy the right kind of people.
In Canada Amazon is slightly cheaper when you factor in currency conversion and shipping.
You can always buy two. A green and black.
Just a thought.
Johnny

...In Canada Amazon is slightly cheaper when you factor in currency conversion and shipping...
Oh, right. I keep forgetting you're north of the border.

You can always buy two. A green and black.
Just a thought.
Johnny
I like the way you think. They're currently scheduled to be delivered some time near the end of next week. :cool:

Edward

Bartender
Found some new stuff

And a company that actually makes them. https://www.crownhat.nyc/collections/shop-all

With My love of all things strange and odd I am going to have to add it to my birthday wish list.

Johnny

It amuses me (and this is in no way a criticism of the company or anyone who would buy one of these) to see the transition of this from something that was once an adaptation of another product, to give it a new life, to something produced as the primary product from scratch, so to speak.

This is something I could see being fun to wear around the house in cooler weather, like a smoking cap of sorts.

View attachment 431675

I guess we know how he made it now!
It also explains why they chose gray as the color--it "reads" better in a comic panel. A black hat of that type would require quite a lot of "highlights" to make it look like that hat in print. But with gray? Outlines, ribbon, gray, done. Look, it's a whoopee cap. Oh, that Jughead!

dkstott

Practically Family
I'm strangely drawn to purchasing this hat/ cap for the amusement factor.

But the realist in me knows at that price point, I can get a much more useful cap.

I would imagine that a home-made whoopee cap would be WAY more fun than anything store bought. At least 273% more fun, by my reckoning.
I agree 273%. The only two problems I have with this are 1) that I'd have to sacrifice a good fur felt hat, and 2) that I have no idea how to make the brim on a fur felt hat fold 180 degrees upward to parallel the "walls" of the crown.

moehawk

I'll Lock Up
I agree 273%. The only two problems I have with this are 1) that I'd have to sacrifice a good fur felt hat, and 2) that I have no idea how to make the brim on a fur felt hat fold 180 degrees upward to parallel the "walls" of the crown.
1: A mothed-out old wreck will do much better than a good fur felt hat.
2: Once the sweat is removed, you just roll the brim up past the break.

20220608_215042.jpg

1: A mothed-out old wreck will do much better than a good fur felt hat.
2: Once the sweat is removed, you just roll the brim up past the break.
1. I'd have to get one first, and that would pretty much cost me nearly the same as one of these pre-fabricated wool whoopie caps.
2. Remove the sweatband??? Assuming I'd have to eventually put it back in, that's already more work than I'm familiar with performing on a hat. I guess I'll just have to make do with these cheap woolies. :)

moehawk

I'll Lock Up
1. I'd have to get one first, and that would pretty much cost me nearly the same as one of these pre-fabricated wool whoopie caps.
2. Remove the sweatband??? Assuming I'd have to eventually put it back in, that's already more work than I'm familiar with performing on a hat. I guess I'll just have to make do with these cheap woolies. :)
I was thinking more like a garage sale or thrift store find rather than paying any more than necessary for the donor hat. Once the sweat is out, it stays out. The hat is more like a skullcap.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21