Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What the heck does Jughead wear?

Well, they arrived. I didn't have time to take my own photos, but these will do for now:

NxUC8z3.jpg

First, as far as accurate colors in photos the cap I received is very much more of a "Kelly Green" like in the Crown Hat NYC and Amazon sales photos, not the yellow/green in the Instagram photos. That's kind of a bummer for me, because I was planning to try a WWII mechanics cap replica. Now, I might only be able to wear this on St. Patrick's Day. The black hat is, of course, black.

Second, apparently no one at Crown Hat NYC has ever studied anatomy, because they clearly don't know that human heads are not round. Unfortunately these hats are, so that might present a problem for anyone with a slightly long oval or long oval head.

Third, to make the shape issue more problematic, their sizing is all generic, i.e. small, medium, large, and extra large. The extra large, which is the size I ordered, is a snug fit on my size 7-1/2 / 60 cm head. So if you wear a size larger than that, you're out of luck. The crowns are also quite low, so that could be an issue as well.

Other than that... :confused:

johnnycanuck

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Well, they arrived. I didn't have time to take my own photos, but these will do for now:

NxUC8z3.jpg

First, as far as accurate colors in photos the cap I received is very much more of a "Kelly Green" like in the Crown Hat NYC and Amazon sales photos, not the yellow/green in the Instagram photos. That's kind of a bummer for me, because I was planning to try a WWII mechanics cap replica. Now, I might only be able to wear this on St. Patrick's Day. The black hat is, of course, black.

Second, apparently no one at Crown Hat NYC has ever studied anatomy, because they clearly don't know that human heads are not round. Unfortunately these hats are, so that might present a problem for anyone with a slightly long oval or long oval head.

Third, to make the shape issue more problematic, their sizing is all generic, i.e. small, medium, large, and extra large. The extra large, which is the size I ordered, is a snug fit on my size 7-1/2 / 60 cm head. So if you wear a size larger than that, you're out of luck. The crowns are also quite low, so that could be an issue as well.

Other than that... :confused:
I can’t wait to see the actual hats. Bummer about the colour. Maybe cover it with pins/buttons to distract from the colour. Hope you find time and occasion to wear them both.
Johnny
PS don’t forget the pictures.

...Maybe cover it with pins/buttons to distract from the colour...

...PS don’t forget the pictures.
Yeah, I should have looked into that before I bought the cap, 'cause I just checked eBay and even some of the cheap "bottle cap" sized pins are going for $10-$20 each. By the time I get enough for this cap it's possible to spend two to three times what the cap cost just for these silly pins. Some sellers have "bundled" several together, but most of those are from the wrong era and are advertising movies or fast food restaurants. And, of course, I've seen several that expressed anti-Japanese or anti-German sentiments and I want nothing to do with those. So, we'll see.

And yes, I'll try to snap some photos over the weekend.

Well, my afternoon plans fell apart, so here are a few photos:

MM05Rkk.jpg

qffY6bn.jpg

As you can see, in bright sunlight it's close to a Kelly Green. Close to round; wearing it stretched it a bit to a slight oval, but it'll probably round out again as it sits. Without the button the crown is darn close to 3" high, and that black label is the size tag: "XL, 100% wool" on the inside, "CH" (for Crown Hats" on the outside). And here's the black one:

HuzsxW8.jpg

They both fit the same on my misshapen head. Not sure which color I prefer; I think the black is a little more subdued.

johnnycanuck

My Mail is Forwarded Here

MM05Rkk.jpg

qffY6bn.jpg

As you can see, in bright sunlight it's close to a Kelly Green. Close to round; wearing it stretched it a bit to a slight oval, but it'll probably round out again as it sits. Without the button the crown is darn close to 3" high, and that black label is the size tag: "XL, 100% wool" on the inside, "CH" (for Crown Hats" on the outside). And here's the black one:

HuzsxW8.jpg

They both fit the same on my misshapen head. Not sure which color I prefer; I think the black is a little more subdued.
I actually really like the green. I think the colour pops nicely. Kind of reminds me of the fun silliness you see at summer festivals and events. Like classic car shows and music festivals.
One of the reasons I shy away from black hats is the details get lost. Outside of a bright summers day i can see this hat being mistaken for a skull cap.
I always figured they would sit on the top of your head like a Yamaka so the shallow crown doesn't surprise me.
Now how to free up the finances and get this purchase past my wife?;)
Looks like a fun purchase. I have a pin and button collection that is just begging for a hat like that.
Wear them in good fun my friend
Johnny

...I have a pin and button collection that is just begging for a hat like that...
Sounds like you need to get one then. Well, at least one.
23htz5d.png
I've started my own little "pinback" collection--Teamsters Union, United Steelworkers, Victory War Chest; trying to stay with a "working class" theme. I'll collect more along the way.

Maybe this has been posted before; I have no idea and don't care but it did make me wishful about that bullet being just a bit lower.

View attachment 432710
You can't blame the people who created Archie Comics--the whoopee cap has been around since the 1920s, pre-dating Jughead by at least 20 years. They were usually worn by mechanics trying to protect their heads from the debris normally found on the underside of cars. Then they were worn in movies by some of the Dead End Kids (a.k.a. the Bowery Boys) and on television by George Lindsey as "Goober Pyle" on The Andy Griffith Show, and that fanned their popularity once again. Mickey Gubitosi (a.k.a. Robert Blake) even wore one in some of the Our Gang shorts he appeared in from 1939 to 1944.

Geetz Romo

New in Town
Just found this in the beginning of Steinbeck's "The Wayward Bus" , 1947:

"Beside him Pimples Carson, still heavy with
sleep, rested his elbow on the oily wood of the bench. Pimples wore the
tattered sweater of a motorcycle club and the crown of a felt hat cut in
saw teeth around the edge."

"The felt hat crown notched so evenly was not really for beauty but served to keep his
long light brown hair out of his eyes and to keep the grease out of it
when he worked under a car."

Steinbeck.jpg

Edward

Bartender

MM05Rkk.jpg

qffY6bn.jpg

HuzsxW8.jpg

These look fun; I think the look will also improve as they age and lose the 'freshly pressed' appearance. Can imagine wearing one of these round the house like a smoking cap in the Winter.

Wonder if they could be dyed? Something like Ritvit for wool; the lack of lining and sweatband probably makes that easier. The bright green is fun, though yes, I'd have thought if it's period correct you're after, a more olive shade would be the ticket.

I always figured they would sit on the top of your head like a Yamaka so the shallow crown doesn't surprise me.

That was my impression too, though I've only ever seen them in pictures; it seems over here a knit beany type of hat fulfilled largely the same working function as these.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner