Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What the heck does Jughead wear?

Canadave

One Too Many
[QUOTE="Skeet" McD]... consider Gomer Pyle's character, who wore one as well, if I remember correctly...and who was a car mechanic.[/QUOTE]

It was his cousin Goober, no?

Boy, Bogart is young! Thanks for posting.

ron521

One of the Regulars
I think Gomer wore a more conventional ball cap, usually with the bill flipped up.
Goober wore the Jughead beanie, In addition to showing Goober as child-like,
I think it was part of a larger collection of images showing how Mayberry was a little behind the times, just like the out-of-fashion suits Barney would wear when going out on a date.

Didn't Spanky of "The Little Rascals" also wear a beanie of some kind?

ron521 said:
I think Gomer wore a more conventional ball cap, usually with the bill flipped up.
Goober wore the Jughead beanie, In addition to showing Goober as child-like,
I think it was part of a larger collection of images showing how Mayberry was a little behind the times, just like the out-of-fashion suits Barney would wear when going out on a date.

Didn't Spanky of "The Little Rascals" also wear a beanie of some kind?
You are right about caps worn by Gomer & Goober. I grew up in small town ala Mayberry & it reflected this time lag mainly with the generations. The teenagers watched network TV & moved with the current fads but the next older generation typically stayed with what they hooked on to, except for those trying to be "hip". Barney & Thelma Lou dressed a few styles back, same thing can be seen in Happy Days as well.

filfoster

One Too Many
Not every crown wears a king

Let's see: Goober, Jughead, that Bowery Boys guy, Huntz Hall....I'm not sure I want to emulate them with this headwear. My grandparents gave me one when I was a kid, late '50's. They never liked me. I can't remember if it lasted one or two days on the playground. It made me wonder how much life insurance they had on me.
If my wife ever gets me one, I'll wonder the same thing.

"Skeet" McD

Practically Family
CHINA CLIPPER: more whoopee caps...

And, following my last post re: THE BLACK LEGION, sat down a few nights ago to watch CHINA CLIPPER (more early-ish Bogart, in point of fact...although Pat O'Brien got top billing).

This film doesn't seem to have made it to YouTube (save for the trailer): but, early on in the film, the protagonist (O'Brien) goes to the machine shop...and every last one of the mechanics is wearing....well, you already know what they're wearing.

More machinist-interest.

"Skeet"

scaber

New in Town
Hmmmm, make you wonder what kind of strange shapes you could cut and manipulate the brim into. Hat origami anyone?

Hollyce

New in Town
A real "Jughead" or Whoopee Hat circa 1930

Picture152.jpg

"Skeet" McD

Practically Family
Another Movie Sighting...and an interesting one...

Hello all,
It has been noted in this thread that the "jughead" hat shows up frequently on the heads of mechanics...and I've just seen another iteration of that. This one, however, is rather interesting: I've always assumed that the point of that hat was to keep dirt, filings, whatever, off the hair...particularly important in the days of pomade. Well, not always, it seems!

Just finished watching THE LOST SQUADRON (1932) on TCM; it tells the story of three American flyers and their mechanic who stick together after the war and end up doing stunt work in early Hollywood...not a bad picture, really. When in the hangar, the mechanic wears one of "our" hats: a felt hat whose brim as bee cut down to about an inch, and the top of whose crown has been cut off about an inch or so above a wide ribbon, and then cut into the iconic dags..making quite a tall, open-crowned affair, the like of which I've never seen previously. Here's a YouTube compilation: the hat shows up at 6:29. Enjoy!
[YOUTUBE]<object width="960" height="745"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/gdJ_fCX1004?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US&amp;rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/gdJ_fCX1004?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US&amp;rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="960" height="745"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]

Kyle Ezra

New in Town
I have a beanie tumblr with multiple examples of these homemade Jughead hats as well as regular beanies. I got tired of the fact that if you google beanie now all you get are knit watch caps. Apparently no one even knows what a beanie is any more. I tumbled most of the pics and items of interest you all have up here, with proper links and credit to the originals. Warbaby, your picture is my favorite authentic beanie pic so far. Would you tell us what year it was taken in approximately? What did you cal it back then? A beanie?
tumblr_n4mgo8zA821tzmoawo2_500.jpg

ingineer

One Too Many
Kyle, Very nice site.
Still remember waiting for my decoder ring

Not to change the subject, but how many had a freshman "dink"
Richard

Blackthorn

I'll Lock Up
I saw a movie character wearing one of these last night, in a movie called The Strange Love of Martha Ivers (1946). About 20 minutes into the movie, some guys are shooting dice in a mechanic's shop and one of them has a cap like that. Weird.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points