Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What this forum needs is a gallery

carter

I'll Lock Up
gtdean48 said:
:arated: A Sticky Folder titled Galleries...
A Good Idea!

However, this will not solve the issue of multiple new threads on the same topic. I'm sure the Bartenders would like to see a reduction of these threads but they certainly don't have time to continually merge repetitive threads.

It seems to me that the Gallery idea and the Repetitive Thread issue are two separate entities.

I agree with Miss Neecerie. We need a Fewer Threads Poll thread.

As noted by Lefty, an End to Intellectual Laziness Poll thread might not be a bad idea either.

Goose.

Practically Family
gtdean48 said:
It has already run off the ranch...comments getting posted, a Fed 4 Deluxe thread instead of the Fed 4 thread (that'd be like having an Open Road thread for Royal, Royal Deluxe, Sovereign, 3X, etc.)
Definitely not lead to fewer threads...:eusa_doh:
Yeah, I saw that and was like :eusa_doh:
I don't think I will add further to the madness. Not that my small contributions would make a dent, but it's easier to search and get what you want. Heck, that's how I fouind this watering hole in the first place.
For a true "gallery", there needs to be a "pic only" repository like Smugmug, Photbucket, whatever...but I'm too cheap and lazy to do it myself. Someplace where peeps can't chime in with questions or comments.. Photos only.
The road to hell and overload is rife with good intentions...

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
I like that it takes a bit of work to learn about vintage hats. There are so many new guys who show up just long enough to ask if the hat they already bought was worth buying. They post for a month or two and disappear, usually having made posts that indicate a lack of acquired knowledge.

The guys (or the couple of gals), who are willing to stick around and read a bit before they post, tend to make for great members whose posts are worth reading.

Summary Points:
Work builds character
Lefty is mean
:p

Pduck

One of the Regulars
Here's another question -- more of an ethical one I think. Should we only post pictures of our own hats, or could we post images of other people's hats in a gallery? I ask because I've seen pictures here that I really like and think that they should be represented in any future gallery. If people post their photos in other threads at this site, then presumably they don't mind others looking at them. Still, I wouldn't want to be presumptuous.

DOUGLAS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
The idea for galleries is great. Making them clean and free of repeats could be troublesome. Everyone wants to show their hats. A hat gallery should not have any comments and should be a photograghic image solely. I think Marc C. had the best views of his hats when he went on a selling spree. The showing should be standardized so every hat is shown the same way. This maybe isn't the most creative but it would be the most informative. We have this type in place already with ORs and strats and disney and so on this could be a more formal version of those.
Perhaps the following:
Manufacturer
Model/approx date/ size/ color if known/any special details/store where originally sold
Crown height
Ribbon size
Brim width
Photos:
Front view
Side view
3/4 view piched to see the crease
Interior liner/sweat
Two alternatives pics for details
One photo of it being worn for proportion.

Each gallery be a manufacturer,with only that makers hat regardless of type.
There are hundreds of Open Roads, Strats and whippets in tan and beige and gray here so some will need to let go and not post theirs. The object should be to show the best of each type. I think it is good to show the variety of colors of each type so maybe the Bartenders will need to edit for same colored hats that are the same model, fuzzy pictures and posts that are not in compliance.

Just my 2 cents

I can think of many hats I have seen here that I would love to see in a more forensic, just the hat sort of way..

Belegnole

One of the Regulars
A decent representation of the various hats including models colors and variances is what we want, or so I believe. It could be used as a reference and as a tool for window shopping, comparisons when bidding etc. I for one would agree that some moderation would be invaluable and would expect unwanted duplicates and bad photos would be pruned, else it would become overly cluttered. Those with large collections and photographic skills would most likely have the preponderance of the photos but so be it.....it's not a competition.

DOUGLAS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Belegnole said:
Those with large collections and photographic skills would most likely have the preponderance of the photos but so be it.....it's not a competition.

This is not entirely true as there are many members with fewer hats in their collections, most of which are absolutely fantastic. Having many hats does not mean that every one of them is a gem. I have seen several hats I don't have.

GWD

One Too Many
DOUGLAS said:
The idea for galleries is great. Making them clean and free of repeats could be troublesome. Everyone wants to show their hats. A hat gallery should not have any comments and should be a photograghic image solely. I think Marc C. had the best views of his hats when he went on a selling spree. The showing should be standardized so every hat is shown the same way. This maybe isn't the most creative but it would be the most informative. We have this type in place already with ORs and strats and disney and so on this could be a more formal version of those.
Perhaps the following:
Manufacturer
Model/approx date/ size/ color if known/any special details/store where originally sold
Crown height
Ribbon size
Brim width
Photos:
Front view
Side view
3/4 view piched to see the crease
Interior liner/sweat
Two alternatives pics for details
One photo of it being worn for proportion.

Each gallery be a manufacturer,with only that makers hat regardless of type.
There are hundreds of Open Roads, Strats and whippets in tan and beige and gray here so some will need to let go and not post theirs. The object should be to show the best of each type. I think it is good to show the variety of colors of each type so maybe the Bartenders will need to edit for same colored hats that are the same model, fuzzy pictures and posts that are not in compliance.

Just my 2 cents

I can think of many hats I have seen here that I would love to see in a more forensic, just the hat sort of way..

I love this idea Douglas

Belegnole

One of the Regulars
DOUGLAS said:
This is not entirely true as there are many members with fewer hats in their collections, most of which are absolutely fantastic. Having many hats does not mean that every one of them is a gem. I have seen several hats I don't have.

Ah, you may have misconstrued what I meant. Of course I may have been as clear as fog....What I was trying to say was that my hope was that in the end the photos would be some of the best examples of each type, color and model of hat possible. That means quality of hat and photo...My comment reflecting numbers in a particular collection and pictures in the gallery was based purely on the concept that the people with the larger collection have a tendency to also have more very nice hats. They also seem to take some wonderful pictures. This may be that they can afford a better custom lid or pricier bidding war. For the same reasoning they may also have finer photographic gear. I am not one of those people in fact I am happy to have finally become employed again after seven months off of work. I am not jealous...really, but I do enjoy seeing these wonderful hats and hope to have a few in my collection some day. So, if I were to submit a shot of my Fed IV or my unknown model Stetson and it was culled I would not be surprised or offended. My hats are not spectacular examples and my camera is lacking....lol . I'm cool with it, and others should expect it....not every photo will pass the muster. That is not to mean that a spectacular example of a certain hat couldn't come from anywhere. In fact they most probably will...

HarpPlayerGene

I'll Lock Up
DOUGLAS said:

Well said. I too have seen a couple of members who've posted their only two or three hats - - but they are two or three hats that, for all those in my collection, I would almost kill to have. I like to reinforce to people that it's not a quantity contest. Many of these hats, viewed individually and without regard to who owns what, are just works of art to behold.

--------

About the search feature; I was well aware of the Google work-around but was constructively commenting on the actual search feature on this site. I do not know the things that BillySpew knows for instance, but thank God for folks like him. I have hired people like Billy on occasions where I needed to provide a client with a functional search feature as part of their website design. At the end of the process it would not have done to tell the client, "I know you wanted a search on your own site but don't be a dope, just use Google."

The point Billy made about major capital and time investments being involved is probably the best reason for excusing this deficiency here. I too am grateful for free access to such an interesting and well managed forum and am not pressing those who already give of themselves to give more. The internal search feature just is what it is.

Andykev

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
No, not necessary in HATS.

I PM ed a couple of you, and the sudden explosion of Hat Galleries will clutter the HATS section very quickly. You all can search (thanks Miss N for the Google tip)or host your personal collection in a post, and a link to Photobucket or some other off Lounge hosting site. But it is silly to have a "Gallery" for every make, style, color, size, texture, age...see? There aren't enough "Gallery" categories to cover all the possibilities.

As a long time HATS bartender, I personally prefer a member showing themselves wearing an interesting hat at some "photo opportune" location in their home town, or at an interesting location (your favorite bar, attraction, your nice back yard, etc.).

I think having Galleries as discussed above is unnecessary. Some of the Gallery posts so far have ZERO replies.

HarpPlayerGene

I'll Lock Up
Good point Andykev.

It seemed so good theoretically, but you're right. Once in practice, it fails, to coin a phrase. ;)

I wasn't among those to whom you sent a PM but I am compelled of my own volition to say that I feel I came off as overly harsh - even inaccurate - about the TFL internal search feature. It does, in fact, function. It's just that because it functions so well (bringing up every entire thread having the search words within) that it is commonly daunting to those who use it. That's why I suppose many of us have taken the lazier way out and just started new threads that might have otherwise been addressed by wading through a lot of already posted info. But this site is a collection of threads so what else would one expect?

Apologies if I through my ignorance I misrepresented the search feature on this site.
:eek:

GWD

One Too Many
An Experiment

Whippet Gallery

Is this what we need?

I've changed the settings on my Whippet Gallery. Everyone can now upload their own pictures and also download any picture they want. No text can be added, only pictures. They can also subscribe to the gallery via RSS and members can be notified when and if the Gallery is updated.

Goose.

Practically Family
Belegnole said:
...I am happy to have finally become employed again after seven months off of work. ...
My hats are not spectacular examples and my camera is lacking....lol . I'm cool with it, and others should expect it...
Wanted to pass a smile your way about the job. :) :eusa_clap
And, I'm with you on the pics I take. I don't have anything cool or vintage. Just like to share my enthusiasm with others. Given that there's only a small handful of people I know that can even spell "hat", I find this forum a great place to share.
Andykev said:
...As a long time HATS bartender, I personally prefer a member showing themselves wearing an interesting hat at some "photo opportune" location in their home town, or at an interesting location (your favorite bar, attraction, your nice back yard, etc.).
OK. I will try hard to accomplish such...

GWD

One Too Many
Thanks Lefty, I have limited space for these galleries (20 GB) But I'd be willing to host a few of them. If the Bartenders put their heads together and came up with some gallery topics I could set them up. It may be just a temporary fix until something else was arranged but It makes since to do it this way.

macfly

Familiar Face
hey, didnt mean to ruffle any feathers starting some of those galleries. thought it might be helpful but it will likely just end up being too cluttered. my bad. got a little too enthusiastic! also thought that sometimes people dont really like to have images of their faces on the web. privacy and showing these hats dont go together too well if they have to be on our heads! i for one was psyched to just see some of these hats even without a head since the pics in the manufacturer sites are usually so one dimensional and dont give great representations of how the colors look in the wild or from different angles.

handlebar bart

Call Me a Cab
Can't members be barred from creating new threads til they have a certain number of posts? It would give new people time to get familiar with the site and force them to also find the appropriate thread to post their hat pictures. And it would also eliminate the need for these bland hat galleries.[huh]

macfly

Familiar Face
having been around for a longer time doesnt mean posts will be any more useful or appropriate. this was obviously done due to the expressed wishes of some for a gallery. it wasnt a random, 'lets post some pics for the hell of it' thread.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot