Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What this forum needs is a gallery

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
Belegnole said:
oh, Lefty that has got to be the most PC thread fail pic I have seen to date....lol

Yep, I had to find something appropriate for this place - though each new Akubra thread makes me wonder if we couldn't use a bit more tough love around here. :whip: :kick:

On the topic of finding threads:

Check out the OB for threads about searching. If you can't handle opening Google in another tab, then I'm glad you're having trouble finding information. Intellectual laziness drives me crazy. Could the search function be better? Yes. Is anyone making it better? Not that I've heard. Deal with it. The work-around isn't difficult. :deadhorse

/rant

Belegnole

One of the Regulars
Lefty said:
Yep, I had to find something appropriate for this place - though each new Akubra thread makes me wonder if we couldn't use a bit more tough love around here. :whip: :kick:
lol, I understand
But tough love while fun actually doesn't work....well not on the intardnet. You should see some of the forums I frequent. One has close to 30,000 members and hundreds online at any time. The list of repeated topics is almost funny and the responses to them has become a tossup based on who gets to it first. But no matter how harsh the new people always end up asking those questions and the old timers either answer or they don't. Once a member has been informed of the proper use of the search feature they will still repeat a question because they don't believe the previous one applies to them, or feel that too much time has gone by so the answer may have changed. A common response to someone who apparently hasn't searched is the "use the search button noob" response with all the links that you just found by performing the search yourself. This happens to be on a forum where the search feature works pretty well.
Lefty said:
On the topic of finding threads:

Check out the OB for threads about searching. If you can't handle opening Google in another tab, then I'm glad you're having trouble finding information. Intellectual laziness drives me crazy. Could the search function be better? Yes. Is anyone making it better? Not that I've heard. Deal with it. The work-around isn't difficult. :deadhorse

/rant

Oh, I know how to perform a search....and having to use another search engine proves the inadequacies of the one built into the forum software. The rest of your comment I am going to assume is not directed straight at myself.

macfly

Familiar Face
Not sure if anyone saw but i figured since a true gallery was not in the cards the next best thing might be to have a standardized heading that could be searched for like 'gallery- (manufacturer name) (hat name)'. then only pics would be posted without commentary. sort of the idea right?
i started two ...one on the akubra ceo and one for the akubra homburg. anyone could just start their own with whatever hat they want to post and then others could add to it.

Goose.

Practically Family
Pduck said:
... It would be really nice to have a gallery that is searchable by name or type so that we can see actual images of these hats on loungers heads.....
I'm seeing these pop in as new threads now...cool. and I like the pics only w/ no text idea. Keeps the thread clean.

It's great to have pics with lids on the noggins. This gives one an opptortunity to see how the hat looks in use as opposed to the pics on vendor sites that give no perspective on what it looks like on a head.

Lefty said:
...though each new Akubra thread makes me wonder if we couldn't use a bit more tough love around here. :whip: :kick:

There certainly is no shortage of Akubra threaditis around here. Probabaly more individual threads about the Federation than many other hats combined.
That is why I'd rather hijack someone else's existing thread about a given hat than start my own. This keeps the search results count low. Plus part of my intent is to not cloud the forum with new threads about my Akubra fetish for those that are not into Akubra hats.

An example will be my Akubra Capricorn. Later today, instead of starting a new thread on the multi-faceted use of this hat that I have discovered, I may just add it to an existing Capricorn thread.

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
Belegnole said:
lol, I understand
One has close to 30,000 members and hundreds online at any time. The list of repeated topics is almost funny and the responses to them has become a tossup based on who gets to it first.

The rest of your comment I am going to assume is not directed straight at myself.

If you're talking about styleforum, I agree. That place is a mess. Searching is pointless and learning is very difficult. It is fun though.

I was hoping you'd know that I wasn't taking a personal shot at you. :)

As to Akubra threads, I'm fine with there being a thread on every model, threads about the sweat, the boxes, etc. It's the redundancy that makes them tired. Search the word Campdraft - just in titles, mind you - and it's clear that people are starting threads like "wow, I love my Campdraft". That sort of thread has no future value. (This happens with all types of hats, but the recent Akubra-mania has put it at the top of the :rage: list.)

Pduck

One of the Regulars
Goose. said:
I'm seeing these pop in as new threads now...cool. and I like the pics only w/ no text idea. Keeps the thread clean.

It's great to have pics with lids on the noggins. This gives one an opptortunity to see how the hat looks in use as opposed to the pics on vendor sites that give no perspective on what it looks like on a head.

I agree, Goose. These little gallery threads were what I was thinking of. Now if we can just get the mods to have a sticky thread titled "Galleries," we could place them all there (hint, hint). That way they won't just sink like rocks.

Pduck said:
I agree, Goose. These little gallery threads were what I was thinking of. Now if we can just get the mods to have a sticky thread titled "Galleries," we could place them all there (hint, hint). That way they won't just sink like rocks.
That would be cool. I frequent vintage Jeep & motorcycle forums that have such a setup.
I guess the bartenders could police comments getting posted to the Gallery threads...

jpbales

Practically Family
Pduck said:

I was just thinking the same thing about stickying the galleries. These galleries are a great idea, by the way.

macfly

Familiar Face
seemed like what people were asking for....now get out there and put up your own favorite hats!

Not-Bogart13

Call Me a Cab
If we sticky the galleries, eventually we won't have room left on the page for other threads. I say we kindly ask the Mods for a new forum section that is just for gallery posts. No chat, no questions, just pictures and identification.

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Suggestion

Before we are overrun with "Galleries," let's allow the Bartenders to catch up, see what can be done. OK? I'm not saying it's a bad idea at all. But I am seeing a lot of these crop up and if the format is eventually something other than what is appearing, it's going to make someone a lot of work to fix it. And that means the idea may rot on the vine for lack of Moderator time. See?

Patience.

macfly

Familiar Face
that seems reasonable. maybe a mod can give us their thoughts so we end up with the best plan.

Goose.

Practically Family
Lefty said:
... (...the recent Akubra-mania has put it at the top of the :rage: list.)
Somebody needs a hug ;)
hug.gif

It has already run off the ranch...comments getting posted, a Fed 4 Deluxe thread instead of the Fed 4 thread (that'd be like having an Open Road thread for Royal, Royal Deluxe, Sovereign, 3X, etc.)
Definitely not lead to fewer threads...:eusa_doh:

macfly

Familiar Face
the point was not to lead to more or fewer threads. it was simply to have threads in which one model of hat could be shown with many pictures rather than trying to hunt down individual hats from many different threads. some people are getting a little uptight here. relax, its just about making the viewing easier down the road if someone wants to check out a specific model. viewing the models on the manufacturer website often leaves one wanting, thus the gallery idea. if you dont wish to look, no one will make you. honest.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR