Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What this forum needs is a gallery

DOUGLAS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
GWD said:
Whippet Gallery

Is this what we need?

I've changed the settings on my Whippet Gallery. Everyone can now upload their own pictures and also download any picture they want. No text can be added, only pictures. They can also subscribe to the gallery via RSS and members can be notified when and if the Gallery is updated.

Well done GWD, thats basically it in a nut shell. If we all agreed to what type of image should be maintained for reference purposes and stick to it, then I believe this could work. I wonder if there is away to add specs to the photo.

Thanks for doing this.

carter

I'll Lock Up
GWD, I agree with Lefty and Douglas. This is what we've been missing.
That's an impressive experiment.
Thanks for doing this.

GWD

One Too Many
I guess the only description of the picture can be the title of the photo. So posters will have to be creative.

If we can all agree on the subjects of the galleries I can start creating them tonight.

DOUGLAS

I guess the subject will be determined by how ambitious you are and how large the gallery you want it to be. There are an a finite number of whippets that could be shown, once all the colors and model anomalies are shown. If you expand a gallery to include more than one model then there would be less galleries but they would be bigger.

What do you think?

GWD

One Too Many
I don't want to be the one to decide which galleries are to be posted.

The possabilities are endless. They can be as vauge or specific as you wish.

Examples,

Stetsons
Dobbs
Knox
Boralinos
Mallory
Lee
Marathon
Supernatural
VS
Cavanagh
Lock & CO
Resistol

Whippets
Stratoliners
Whippet Clones
Stratoliner Clones
Top Hats
Derbys
Open Roads
Open Road Clones
Boaters
Skimmers
Panamas
Millans

Stingy Brims
Wide Brims
Thin Ribbons
Overwelt
Underwelt
Cavanagh Edge
Mode Edge
Guild Edge
Selve Edge

Green Hats
Blue Hats
Brown Hats
Grey Hats

Royal
Royal De Luxe
3x
5x
7x
10x
100x
Imperial
Soveriegn
Medalist

Vita Felt
Nutria
Real Nutria

This is stuff right off the top of my head.

I need some guidance.

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
That's a lot of categories. Stetson is certainly going to be the killer, as the brand with far more examples than anything else. If you're looking for even more, you've got :

Stetson:
Casual
Flagship
(I think there's a 40, but I'm not sure)
4x
Clear Beaver (some 7xs are and some aren't)
(I haven't heard of the 75 you've got listed)
Modern Stetsons

Borsalino:
I'm not sure how to break this one down beyond the thin ribbons

Various Other Non-US
Flechet
Mossant
Panizza
Barbisio
Lock
Herbert Johnson
Habig
Mayser

Satin/Long-Hair Finish

Customs
(you've got Art)
Optimo
Gary White
Gus Miller
(and others I can't think of at the moment)

Lightweight Felts

Caps?

That's what I've got for now, but I'm sure there are many, many more.

Boaters and skimmers are the same thing, no?

More:
Stetson Playboy
Portis

GWD

One Too Many
:eusa_doh:

I may have made up the 75 but still! That's a lot of categories and that's without thinking!!!!

Forgot Disney

I think Skimmers have narrower brims than boaters

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
Are you kidding? I believe that you were thinking quite clearly with the 75. How can you have a 20, 25, maybe a 40, a 50 and then just jump to 100? :p

DOUGLAS

I myself am in favor of the manufacturer. Not an easy decision at all gents.
Perhaps a poll individual models or makers. To make it easier I would suggest european makers be put together by country.

Belegnole

One of the Regulars
Lefty said:
That's a lot of categories. Stetson is certainly going to be the killer, as the brand with far more examples than anything else. If you're looking for even more, you've got :
This is why a separate section would be nice or gallery software, OR a wiki To have this many possible threads stickied would be overwhelming.

GWD

One Too Many
I'm having second thoughts about me being the host of the galleries here are my concerns.

As one of the members here pointed out to me in a PM, there is a lack of security on my account that leaves me vulnerable.

Because anyone can post anything in these galleries, I won't be there 24 hours a day to monitor them so any questionable photos will be there until I am available to delete them.

I'm sorry if I have gotten anyone's hopes up, but it just not worth the risk.

Gary

macfly

Familiar Face
good call and thanks for the effort. there is probably some way this can be done on this forum without everyone having access to your personal website.
would be nice to have a place where we can just check out views of individual hats.

Goose.

Practically Family
GWD said:
I'm having second thoughts about me being the host of the galleries here are my concerns.

As one of the members here pointed out to me in a PM, there is a lack of security on my account that leaves me vulnerable.

Because anyone can post anything in these galleries, I won't be there 24 hours a day to monitor them so any questionable photos will be there until I am available to delete them.

I'm sorry if I have gotten anyone's hopes up, but it just not worth the risk.

Gary
Ok, I can do this. But, people will have to e-mail me their pics and a caption for that picture. I will post them in a gallery (no one can edit except me, but anyone can view).

I'm not seeing where this would be different than GWD's Whiipet Good Gallery. It appears to me that GWD's site is much like my Smugmug...read only unless you have a password. So, I'm interested in the security concerns before things start to develop.

Would prefer to do it by brand to reduce the number of galleries. It would consist of only pics and the caption the originator would like me to include with it. I can commit to having pics up within two days (in case I get a life and end up going somewhere).

Just an offer. No offense taken if not accepted.

billyspew

One Too Many
This was why I suggested an external site (such as flickr), you can Add a photo with A description (such as the info Douglas suggested), but then we can tag the photo with make, model, type, and anything else people want - that way we can easily categorize images and search for anything we want - if we use a unique tag such as fedoraloungehats we can only show up images that we ourselves have added.

e.g.
Fedoraloungehats
All Adam hats
All Mode Edge hats
All Grey Fedoras

Goose.

Practically Family
Billy...
I like that Flckr site in that it shows who posted the pic.

Maybe we can set up a membership gig so that only folks that have made xx number of posts or been around xx amount of time can post. ???

My Smugmug will only permit me to upload. Certainly, people would prefer to put up their own pics instead of waiting on me.

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
Marc Chevalier said:
And who will have the unenviable job of weeding out the crappy pics?

and eventually paying for the space when the amount of hits, exceeds what a -free- site allows.....or even what any one person's private domain allows...

The number of hits and bandwidth would be more then what comes standard in hosting packages and would -quickly- become a monetary burden on the kind soul trying to host it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR