Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What tie with this suit?

GearHead

One of the Regulars
What would be the proper style and color tie to go along with a black pinstriped 3pc suit with a white shirt?
Or should I change to a colored shirt to add more tie variety?
Thanks,
Erick

GearHead

One of the Regulars
Thanks. I was thinking of course black or a silver or burgundy. Of course all my ties are patterned. I'll have to pick up a few solids.

Erick

Orgetorix

Call Me a Cab
GearHead said:
Thanks. I was thinking of course black or a silver or burgundy. Of course all my ties are patterned. I'll have to pick up a few solids.

Erick

Patterned ties are OK too, especially ones with very small patterns. If you're wearing more than one patterned item (such as a striped suit and a patterned tie), make sure the scale of the patterns is different. For example, make sure the spots on a spotted tie aren't the same size or distance apart as the stripes on your suit.

Following this rule, and paying attention to color, some well-known stylish men have been known to wear four or five different patterned items and still look good. See Alan Flusser's book, Dressing the Man, for more on this.

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
I might go for a yellow tie – solid, foulard or paisley. Maybe cream yellow or slightly to the gold, as long as it's not too intense or shiny.

A lot depends what color your pinstripes are. I'm guessing very light grey?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sirteen