Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

what to do with curly hair...

6StringShooter

One of the Regulars
I have very curly hair...not quite nappy, but definitely curly. It is a lot like this pic...just significantly darker in color.
curlyhairls9.jpg
What kind of 30s or 40s hair style could I accomplish with hair like this? I kind of want to stay away from the Peter Lorre in "The Maltese Falcon" look...There is also the wavy Phil Harris look, but I wouldn't know how to accomplish that. As of right now, I just slap some Murray's and Brylcreem in it and rip it into a side part which retains it's general shape well, but goes from somewhat slicked to something more like the pic above throughout the day. Thanks!

P.S. speaking of Peter Lorre, does anyone know how he got his hair to go from SUPER curly like this
TR-PeterLorre.JPG
to super slick like this
lorre20peter01zb5.jpg

LolitaHaze

Call Me a Cab
My opinion of the sexiest curly top goes to Charlie Chaplin. I am in love with his hair. It is probably not exactly what you are looking for but I thought I would post photos anyway... You would have to grow your hair longer on top.

Chaplin397-1.jpg

Chaplin91.jpg

Chaplin16.jpg

Chaplin113.jpg

Chaplin21.jpg

Chaplin43.jpg

Chaplin194.jpg

Chaplin381.jpg

4545.jpg

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Color me jealous. My Asian friends say my hair is straighter than theirs.

I would think you could do all sorts of things with curly hair and a little hair jelly. Good luck and I hope you'll show us the results of your efforts! :)

6StringShooter

One of the Regulars
Pilotguy299 said:
I'm no expert, but I'd say leave it be. Find the clothes from the era that compliment your natural hair style.

LOL if I do, it'll look like this
napoleandynamite3.jpg

I love that pic with the green suit and the bowtie...Chaplin was a sharp fellow! I'd love my hair to look like that.

I'm getting a haircut tomorrow...should I just keep letting it grow long up top and trim up the sides?

LolitaHaze

Call Me a Cab
If you want to try it out like Chaplin I would say to have the sides cut shorter and leave the top... until the top gets about 4 inches long, then I would have the barber just trim the sides to about an inch in length. It looks like Chaplin had super thick and course hair... and when he would comb it back he would put the waves in it or let the natural curl take form in waves. Mind you I am not a hair cutter person and this is just what I would guess from looking at the photos alone.

6StringShooter said:
I'm getting a haircut tomorrow...should I just keep letting it grow long up top and trim up the sides?

LolitaHaze

Call Me a Cab
I would use a pomade... I see you are in FLA so you have to fight the humidity... As a gal I use setting lotion for my curls, but I think since your hair is shorter, stick to a styling wax or pomade... Maybe some of the Gents will know more about hair products for men...

LolitaHaze

Call Me a Cab
Better yet... print out the photo and bring it to the stylist... even if your hair isn't that long now, the stylist will be better trained at telling you what to do with your hair than I am!

6StringShooter

One of the Regulars
Will do! Thanks so much! I actually use a combination of this
murrays-pomade.jpg
and this
200.jpg
and it works really well (for a typical, run of the mill hair style)...it still sticks up a bit, but that's Florida for ya! I'll definitely take the pic in though! Thanks again, LolitaHaze!:)

The Wingnut

One Too Many
Try something that will relax the curls / soften your hair first, then apply pomade. Hair tonic might be the trick. The waves in Chaplin's hair in a few of those shots just scream golden era...you don't see that in any other period.

6StringShooter

One of the Regulars
LolitaHaze said:
So how did the haircut go?

It went well! I had the back and sides trimmed up while still letting the top grow out...I also received an interesting suggestion following my haircut. It seems that my brand of pomade (Murray's) was designed to be used with a stocking cap of some sort (as depicted on the can). Either way it was suggested that I slap my hair full of murray's, comb it, then put one of those cap things on before it dries, then once it dries I could remove the cap and voila...The caps are similar to what rappers wear nowadays, so I wasn't too keen on the idea. Nevertheless, I sucked it up and tried it. The results were interesting to say the least. I expected to see a giant ghetto afro fly up from under there, but it was quite the opposite. This stuff really defined the curl, flattened the hair, and killed the frizz. The end result looks a lot like this except I comb it a little differently.
phil_harris_01.jpg

It is certainly an unexpected result, but I definitely like how shiny it came out. What do you folks think?

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
I know Im a chick, and for the ladies its totally different follicle standards :rolleyes: but I say leave it be, keep it short, and sleep in a stocking cap or scarf.

LD

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy