Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What to wear with a black blouse

RetroModelSari

Practically Family
Hi Ladies!

I got me a wonderfull 40s style black blouse and this morning I wanted to wear it with some black throwsers. But as soon I wore it I looked like a gothic or like I would go to a funeral.

If you have any advice what to wear with a black blouse without making it scream "FUNERAL" I´d be very happy. the blouse is way to pretty to keep in my closet forever!!!

Hugs,
Sari

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab
I love the way black looks paired with camel or gray (I have trousers in both colors.) But black looks good with just about any color, depending on what you are mixing it up with, including green, red, deep blue, pink, and so forth. If you wanted to wear an all-black outfit, just make sure the blacks match, and add some sort of whimsical, bright accessories, like a cherry brooch and earrings.

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
I'd pair it with gray, a solid color, or a print of equal intensity. For example, a black blouse and a soft, pastel floral print probably wouldn't mesh. But a bold check pattern or tropical print might, or even a dainty floral pattern with a good deal of black in it.

Don't combine black with navy. It's a classic no-no. But black and deep blue look great together to me.

It's a matter of preference, but tan and black together just doesn't float my boat. I agree with the blacks matching, though, in both color and texture. You don't want people to think, "That skirt and blouse almost match."

Mind that the blouse doesn't show through the skirt or pants when it's tucked in.

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab
It's a matter of preference, but tan and black together just doesn't float my boat. I agree with the blacks matching, though, in both color and texture. You don't want people to think, "That skirt and blouse almost match."

One of the reasons I happen to pair tan/camel and black together is because I have a number of vintage clothing items that mix the colors, including a 1940s black crepe blouse with copper sequins on it--it looks smashing with warm camel pants...

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
I have a few black blouses and I tend not to wear black with any other dark value, like dark green, brown, navy. Two dark values just dont look that good.

I would put the blouse with a med value green, grey, brown etc. Plus high value colors like pinks, powder blues look good too.

Depending on weather the black is a warm black or a cool black you may be able to get a way with more listed above. Depending on the cut and intricacy of the blouse, I would limit the 'pattern' of the piece you are pairing with it.

LD

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
I agree with mark with pairing it up with red...will give it a great dramatic effect. I like black with camel as well also with cream or white.

magneto

Practically Family
mysterygal said:
I agree with mark with pairing it up with red...will give it a great dramatic effect. I like black with camel as well also with cream or white.

I agree, I think a great summer look would be the black blouse, a full white skirt with a bold black print, and red accessories.

Rosie

One Too Many
*raises hand shyly* being a New Yorker, I do the all black thing a lot. It isn't uncommon at all to see throngs of NYers, no matter their clothing style of choice, to be dressed in head to toe black.

If I am to wear a black blouse, and don't want to do the all black thing, I'll wear a white skirt or white igh waist, wide leg trousers. IMO, wearing a dark tone on top and a lighter one on bottom, makes the figure more "hip-py". Something I don't need at all. ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grateful Fred