Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What type of knot do you tie?

What type of knot do you tie for your necktie?

• Four in hand

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Windsor

Votes: 1 50.0%
  • Half Windsor

Votes: 1 50.0%
  • Pratt

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Mr. Rover

One Too Many
One of the few modern-ish looks that I like is a four-in-hand with a spread collar. When I was interning over the summer in New York for DC Design, I was helping rig a lot of looks/mannequins and we went out to buy ties from Barney's. The tight four-in-hand with these ties sticks out just like a vintage tie does with a collar bar and looks nice IMHO with the spread collars.

Btw, ALWAYS A DIMPLE. One dimple- no more, no less.

Feraud

Bartender
Ghos7a55assin said:
I like how a four-in-hand looks with those wide spread collars, especially when they are stiff enough to have some lift like when using a collar pin. This was a big look when I was dressing mannequins interning for DC Design over the summer.
Didn't you find too much room between the knot and collar with this combo?
Does the use of a collar pin close the gap?

carebear

My Mail is Forwarded Here
You aren't alone anymore Wingnut. I also almost exclusively use a Pratt.

To be honest I didn't know it had a formal name, the little Nordstrom's "How to tie a tie" pamphlet I keep around for when I want to try something different calls it "the inside out knot".

I like that I can get a dimple and it turns out so even. I started using it in the Marines cause it was fast and easy.

Mr. Rover

One Too Many
Well, you can't use a collar pin with a spread collar. I was merely saying that the stiff silk ties available right now look good with a spread collar because they protrude as if there was an invisible collar bar holding it up.

DC2.jpg
DC13.jpg

magneto

Practically Family
CharlieH. said:
Four in hand... It's the only knot I can get *right*. I remember having tried to tie a windsor and I ended up with a dimple on the knot itself.

And how do you tie a Pratt?

http://www.tie-a-tie.net/ has diagrams/pictures and videos too, I think, for all tie types. Even I can tie one thanks to them.
(I do have some short vintage wool ties that I wear once in a while for the ever-fashionable girl-reporter look and a Pratt is the only one that doesn't make a knot bigger than my head). ;)

shindeco

A-List Customer
Depends on the tie. Short ties get the four in hand but I have a few ties where they four in hand just doesn't work (a hand-painted 40s number is the one I think of off the bat: the fabric is just so thin that a four in hand disappears.)

Bow ties, well, they get tied like bow ties. They'd look pretty silly with a four in hand ;-)

AcmeNews

New in Town
Half windsor

I generally tie a half windsor, although if I wear a wide spread collar, I may switch to a full windsor. I am picky about a simple, symetrical dimple.

The Reno Kid

A-List Customer
Usually a half-Windsor but it depends on the tie, the shirt, and the occasion. For example, I find that a four-in-hand works well with a good quality repp tie because of the weight of the silk. On a lighter foulard silk, a half-Windsor usually works better for me. However, with a spread collar, I will usually tie a half-Windsor, even in a heavier tie. With a narrow spread, a four-in-hand nearly always looks better to me, especially with a collar bar. Generally (but not always), I find the half-Windsor tends to look a little more formal, so I'm more inclined to wear one at a wedding, for example. I could count all the times I have worn a full Windsor on one hand (maybe one finger).

carebear

My Mail is Forwarded Here
magneto said:
http://www.tie-a-tie.net/ has diagrams/pictures and videos too, I think, for all tie types. Even I can tie one thanks to them.
(I do have some short vintage wool ties that I wear once in a while for the ever-fashionable girl-reporter look and a Pratt is the only one that doesn't make a knot bigger than my head). ;)

Seeing as how for the moment I'm single and my sister is across the country you're on fashion advisor detail.

I was given a wool Marine Corps tartan tie (pretty, well really, narrow) by a local Irish shop owner.

What the heck goes with slightly fuzzy green wool? My suits, cotton and silk dress shirts and khakis sure don't go.

Any ideas?

Anyone?

[huh]

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
A full Windsor is fun to wear around the office, because no one else knows how to tie one. All of you fellows know how to tie multiple knots, but most men don't think about it and only use one knot. It is fun to differentiate myself. ;)

"Doc" Devereux

One Too Many
Hemingway Jones said:
A full Windsor is fun to wear around the office, because no one else knows how to tie one. All of you fellows know how to tie multiple knots, but most men don't think about it and only use one knot. It is fun to differentiate myself. ;)

Much like the three-piece it goes with. I'm with you on that one, Hem, and used to do the same thing! :cheers1:

These days it depends on the shirt, but I have a lot of spread collars so the Full WIndsor goes on whenever it looks right. I really like the way it fills up the space.

KAT

A-List Customer
What type of knot do you tie ?

is this the right place to talk about weddings ?:p lol

ok ok..im leaving this thread already..........:whistling

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou