Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Type of Leather is This? (Label included)

CRAZYBUBBA

Familiar Face
The jacket is Swedish, I tried to translate the words but they just refer to the company

Should I assume this is an ordinary jacket?

72dd708210465815825c01f0ebcfa086.jpg
3dac3c6453569f839fb973b87a0a66be.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bjorn240

One of the Regulars
I would assume it's steer. The significant majority of leathergoods produced in Sweden is steer. Additionally, Ericson lambskin jackets from this era usually had a label that said "Lamm-nappa." Front piece also looks too large to be lamb or goat. The label places it post-1971 when CO Ericson closed their original Malung facility. I like it!

Guppy

I'll Lock Up
I don't know about this jacket, but I have a suede goatskin CO Ericson jacket (which is for sale in the classified forum if you want to look at it). On my jacket, the label says "gettskin" which translates to "goatskin".

If your jacket has no animal specified on the label anywhere, I'd probably assume it is bovine. Without handling in person, with experienced eyes, it's very difficult to say for sure.

They are well made, and good quality. I am interested to know more about the company.

CRAZYBUBBA

Familiar Face
Wow, this is my first thread asking for help and I get two informative replies. Thanks so much guys!

I think you're right, by feel it could be normal steerhide and it's not labeled specifically.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bjorn240

One of the Regulars
They are well made, and good quality. I am interested to know more about the company.
CO Ericsson was started in Malung, Dalarna, Sweden in 1911 and was originally a tannery. In 1913, CO Ericsson started manufacture of gloves, furs, and leather shirts and jackets. The company also owned a fur farm. In 1945, the company started a subsidiary in Motala, in Southern Sweden, and in 1971, they ceased operation in Malung and moved all operations to Motala. They were a common sight in the 70s and were in operation until at least the late 1980s. Malung was the center of the Swedish leather industry for 100+ years. There are still a number of manufacturers there, including Jofama/Halvarssons, that make current leather and fabric motorcycle safety wear.

Loads of information here (all in Swedish): http://malungsskinn.se/

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran