Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

"Only Angles Have Wings"

Another example of a good story with well-written, three-dimensional characters holding up over time (despite the silliest looking pants Cary Grant has ever worn). Because the heroes aren't perfect, the villains not all bad - which should be rule one for any story writer as it reflects life and, thus, people relate to it - you understand and recognize these people even though almost none of us has any connect to the crazy world of late-'30s flying for a postal route in Latin America.

Additionally, the acting is solid as Jean Arthur doesn't over play the cute or sassy factor, Grant dials back the suffering hero just when he needs to and Barthelmess transitions well from aggrieved villain to redeemed man. It is also fun to see Rita Hayworth before Hollywood figured out how to adjust the dials on her looks and acting to create "Gilda," and, in truth, from then on, RITA HAYWORTH.

Clearly the budget was limited as the sets are almost comically cheap as were the models used for most of the flight sequences, but what little money they had, they spent on a few very impressive real flight scenes that still look good today. The juxtaposition of the cheap model scenes with the real footage is jarring, but my guess, not a big deal in '39.

A good story and real characters - a formula that works today and worked in '39.

Bolero

A-List Customer
I'll happily take that.
The three of them brought it. No CGI, just a simple but nicely done movie.
:D

Chris Pine steals the movie...Texas Ranger Bridges expertly plays off his Indian Ranger partner and gives the movie a direction, yes Bridges drives the movie but Pine is magical, believable, and basically steals...Foster adds a 3rd dimension to the story but is mis-cast here...
3 1/2 star movie

Chris Pine steals the movie...Texas Ranger Bridges expertly plays off his Indian Ranger partner and gives the movie a direction, yes Bridges drives the movie but Pine is magical, believable, and basically steals...Foster adds a 3rd dimension to the story but is mis-cast here...
3 1/2 star movie
Well put. Pine is obviously meant to be the lead and he deserves it.
I felt that Foster was fine as he often plays a somewhat similar role and he does it well.
But no matter, you summed it up nicely.
:D

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
The Enchanted Cottage (1945) A very poignant movie! I don't know about the countries that some of the rest of you are from? Here, we tend to celebrate those that have fallen in battle or were wounded, while at the same time, we tend to try and forget those that had there face badly disfigured while serving our country!

Dead Reckoning.....Bogart...Scott

If you only ever saw Scott in this film, you'd wonder why she wasn't a huge star.

She had it all going right in this movie - easily holding her own with Bogie, bringing the grit and quiet pathos film noir calls for from its femme fatales and she looked searingly beautiful.

I've seen her in other movies and, while an adequate actress, it's like her pilot light was turned down in those movies. She just doesn't have in those what she has in "Dead Reckoning."

Denton

One of the Regulars
"Only Angles Have Wings"

Another example of a good story with well-written, three-dimensional characters holding up over time (despite the silliest looking pants Cary Grant has ever worn). Because the heroes aren't perfect, the villains not all bad - which should be rule one for any story writer as it reflects life and, thus, people relate to it - you understand and recognize these people even though almost none of us has any connect to the crazy world of late-'30s flying for a postal route in Latin America.

Additionally, the acting is solid as Jean Arthur doesn't over play the cute or sassy factor, Grant dials back the suffering hero just when he needs to and Barthelmess transitions well from aggrieved villain to redeemed man. It is also fun to see Rita Hayworth before Hollywood figured out how to adjust the dials on her looks and acting to create "Gilda," and, in truth, from then on, RITA HAYWORTH.

Clearly the budget was limited as the sets are almost comically cheap as were the models used for most of the flight sequences, but what little money they had, they spent on a few very impressive real flight scenes that still look good today. The juxtaposition of the cheap model scenes with the real footage is jarring, but my guess, not a big deal in '39.

A good story and real characters - a formula that works today and worked in '39.

Only Angels Have Wings has been maybe my favorite movie for a few years. What gets me is the tone -- everyone practicing a kind of studied carelessness in the face of grim death.

The first twenty minutes or so, Joe's pointless death and the festive atmosphere they struggle to create afterwards, are a small work of art by themselves. And that's before Barthelmess and Hayworth show up onscreen.

Almost every day I get the idea, "Maybe it's time to watch Only Angels Have Wings again." Usually I hold myself back, "Too soon. Better wait."

An excellent example of spinning straw into gold on a Harry "I didn't leave Poverty Row, Poverty Row left me" Cohn budget.

As I noted in my earlier post, other than some limited but awesome aerial footage (supplemented with Harry Cohn's kid's toy model airplanes in the other "aerial" scenes), this movie looks like, in today's dollars, it cost, at least, several hundred bucks to make.

But that is where writers and actors shine. A good story and really developed and complex characters make up for the Trader Vic's set.

Julian Shellhammer

Practically Family
The Palm Beach Story, with the brother- and sister-in-law. Occasionally laugh out loud funny. Is Preston Sturges the inspiration of the Coen brothers' love of dialogue rich stories?

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
Star Trek: The Voyage Home. I confess, this is the only Star Trek movie that I've watched (though I think I've seen part of the one with Khan). I absolutely love it. Leonardy Nemoy directed it and came up with the idea. They wanted something a little more light-hearted and they succeeded. I love the comedy elements of it.

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
Credit also goes to co-writer (and Wrath of Khan director) Nicholas Meyer, who'd previously made a great little SF film where someone time-travels to present-day San Francisco, Time After Time.

A big hit, and it's certainly the most fun of the original series crew flicks. "I'm from Iowa. I only work in outer space."

⇧ "The Voyage Home" was also perfectly timed after the heavy seriousness of the first two. It was enjoyable to see the crew having some fun, being a little lighthearted and only, occasionally, having to save the universe.

"We are looking for the nuclear wessels."

Also, the Bird of Prey is one bad-*ss looking ship. Great scene when it uncloaks over the whaling ship.

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
⇧ "The Voyage Home" was also perfectly timed after the heavy seriousness of the first two. It was enjoyable to see the crew having some fun, being a little lighthearted and only, occasionally, having to save the universe.

"We are looking for the nuclear wessels."

Also, the Bird of Prey is one bad-*ss looking ship. Great scene when it uncloaks over the whaling ship.

I love Spock's attempt to use "colorful metaphors" in his sentences.

Spock: They like you very much, but they are not the hell "your" whales.

Dr. Gillian Taylor: I suppose they told you that.

Spock: The hell they did.

and this one:

Kirk: Spock, where the hell's the power you promised?

Spock: One damn minute, Admiral.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Buhles