Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

LadyStardust

Practically Family
pretty faythe said:
The new Journey to the Center of the Earth. Loved it, loved it, loved it! And I'm not just saying that cuz I am a huge Brendan Fraser fan.totally awesome movie, and I want one of those birds!
Brendan seems to be having some sort of career re-surgence this summer! He's in about 5 movies! I've always liked him, he's such a loveable goofball. :) :)

LadyStardust

Practically Family
Edward said:
One of my absolute favourite period films. I've always wanted to go to a costume party with a girl dressed as Marylin and another guy and I dressed as Curtis and Lemmon.... just got to find the right costume bits.

A show I'd quite like to see transferred to the stage - if done sensitively (not some awful jukebox musical "featuring the songs of Madonna" or whatever), it could really work well.

I'd love to be able to go back in time and watch it on release just to get a full sense of how daring it must have been. Sure, panto and vaudeville were around back then so stage cross-dressing wouldn't have been new, but the idea of two guys dressing as women, sharing women's quarters and so on - surely back in the 50s that would still have been considered very risque?
Regarding your last paragraph, I felt the same way! I know certain things were a lot more acceptable than in previous decades, but I would have been surprised if a lot of people in the audiences back then weren't scandalized! And not just for the cross-dressing deal, but Marilyn's dresses! I understand focusing on beauty, but there is a tactful way of emphasizing it, and...not. This movie had the latter. [huh] :eusa_doh:

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Love with the Proper Stranger (1963)

Sweetly gritty slice-of-life piece about 2 young people of traditional Italian-American background (Steve McQueen at his most likeable, and Natalie Wood at her drop-dead loveliest) who get In Trouble and what they have to do about it. Part love story, part dry comedy, part social drama, with early 60s Manhattan the main character. Location shots evoke a cleaner, yet somehow seedier city than we know today. Herschel Bernardi and Edie Adams are memorable in support.

Hondo

One Too Many
Cecil B. DeMille's Union Pacific 1939

Story of the Union Pacific Transcontinental railroad serves as a backdrop for this epic drama, action about a romance triangle, with Barbara Stanwyck , Joel McCrea, Robert Preston with McCrea, and Preston competing for Stanwyck's affections, Barbara in another good part, adventurous, a little uneven but good, action highlighted scene that still leaves me puzzled, an Indian attack while the 3, McCrea, Stanwyck, and Preston are trapped inside a train wreck (caboose) running out of ammunition. Indians couldn't get to them (well over an hour) before help arrives? [huh] Funny scene if you ask me, remember its also 1939. lol

KY Gentleman

One Too Many
Tonight HBO has "The Shining" playing. Scatman Crouthers is about to buy it...this is one movie almost anyone can start watching at any moment of the film and know exactly whats happening.

BegintheBeguine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
The words get caught in my throat.

Based on Dixon Cannon's assessment of it last month I brought home Cloverfield from the library. I'm glad I remembered his instructions because I had the same feeling of wanting to fast-forward when I watched it. I liked it a lot, and I cared about the characters. I especially liked when the Army guy helped the gang into the helicopter and the young man thanked him.
Watching it at home I wasn't aware of any shaky camera movements, which is good as I sometimes get motion sickness.

Beowulf67

One of the Regulars
Lulu-in-Ny said:
3:10 to Yuma, the new one. I liked it a lot- now I have to see the original.

I just saw the original recently and really liked it. Glenn Ford is great in it.

Yesterday I watched "Out of the Past" with Robert Mitchum, Kirk Douglas and Jane Greer.

Pip

A-List Customer
Just finished watching "Dark Blue World" (again), love it to bits :eek:

Darhling, my friend has mentioned the film before, she said its worth watching...is it? Had a look on the internet and the blurb sounds excellent, but wondered before I buy it.

Pah, and don't worry about being a cry-at-romantic-movies girl...could be worse...could be a cry-at-romantic-movies chappy (ala moi) ;) :eek: :eek:

Darhling

Call Me a Cab
Pip said:
Just finished watching "Dark Blue World" (again), love it to bits :eek:

Darhling, my friend has mentioned the film before, she said its worth watching...is it? Had a look on the internet and the blurb sounds excellent, but wondered before I buy it.

Pah, and don't worry about being a cry-at-romantic-movies girl...could be worse...could be a cry-at-romantic-movies chappy (ala moi) ;) :eek: :eek:

Well I love The Notebook so I can only recommend it! Great story, great actors, great outfits! but get your kleenex ready!

Pip

A-List Customer
I shall pop it on my "to buy list".

Big box of handkerchiefs at the ready lol

Think I'll pop "Gone with the wind" on now, bit late but can't sleep tehehehe. (A little cliched I know...)

Joe_Frances

New in Town
I watched a wonderful William Powell movie with an actress, love interest, whom I have never really noticed before: Ann Harding. The move is "Double Harness" in which the immortal Bill Powell plays playboy, John Fletcher who's caught in marriage by his girlfriend, Joan played by Harding.

The story is great, Bill wears great hats and mens' formal gloves in almost every scene. If anything the gloves are the scene stealers for the discerning style gents. For anyone who admires Powell's work, and wants to see some amazing style, see

"Double Harness"

Top drawer unknown film that plays from time to time on TCM.

Spiffy

A-List Customer
John Waters' CryBaby

Spurred by a comment from me to my brother-
Me: It's a shame about your face. (He fell off his bicycle Thursday)
Him: There's nothing the matter with my face! I got character!

And then we scampered to the DVD shelf and put it in. You had to be there, I guess.

Edward

Bartender
Spiffy said:
John Waters' CryBaby

Spurred by a comment from me to my brother-
Me: It's a shame about your face. (He fell off his bicycle Thursday)
Him: There's nothing the matter with my face! I got character!

And then we scampered to the DVD shelf and put it in. You had to be there, I guess.

Quite possibly one of the finest teen moives ever made. I adore it. I'm very much looking forward to the (much promised) Broadway version...

Like a redneck, rockabilly Grease for the alternative set... It's a real favourite of mine. I've introduced about seven or eight folks to it in the last year or two, and most of them now own it on DVD too....

LadyStardust said:
Regarding your last paragraph, I felt the same way! I know certain things were a lot more acceptable than in previous decades, but I would have been surprised if a lot of people in the audiences back then weren't scandalized! And not just for the cross-dressing deal, but Marilyn's dresses! I understand focusing on beauty, but there is a tactful way of emphasizing it, and...not. This movie had the latter. [huh] :eusa_doh:

Heh. The odd thing is that much as I adore her as an icon, I never once ever found Marilyn in the last bit sexy, myself..... [huh]

Josephine

One Too Many
MaryDeluxe said:
Swing Kids !

You and I could have been watching this at the same time! I even had the main menu up! Unfortunately I had forgotten I had to do something that was due by this morning and couldn't start it. :( Tonight though!

MaryDeluxe

Practically Family
Josephine said:
You and I could have been watching this at the same time! I even had the main menu up! Unfortunately I had forgotten I had to do something that was due by this morning and couldn't start it. :( Tonight though!

lol Did you make popcorn? Because I made popcorn! lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy