Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Josephine

One Too Many
Feraud said:
What's the scoop on Hellboy II? Is it worth seeing at the theater or wait for the dvd?

Well, I like seeing scifi and action movies on the big screen as opposed to comedies or dramas, as I like to see it HUGE! Especially for the special effects. If you like this genre, or the first one, I would recommend seeing it at a matinée, or at a dollar theater or the like instead of waiting for DVD. Not that the movie is bad, but tickets are so expensive, I can't really justify any movie for what they charge.

Jack Scorpion

One Too Many
-Hellboy2 (Hokey dialogue, but worthwhile imaginativeness)
-Journey to the Center of the Earth 3D (yes!)
-2046 (Not as good as In the Mood for Love, but what a sequel)

Slim Portly

One Too Many
"Pal Joey" with Rita Hayworth, Kim Novak, and some skinny blue-eyed guy who sure liked his black fedora, regardless of whatever else he was wearing.

SweetieStarr

A-List Customer
Slim Portly said:
"Pal Joey" with Rita Hayworth, Kim Novak, and some skinny blue-eyed guy who sure liked his black fedora, regardless of whatever else he was wearing.

I just watched that too! Hurray for TCM!

Slim Portly

One Too Many
SweetieStarr said:
I just watched that too! Hurray for TCM!
Yup. Now watching "Picnic" with William Holden, Kim Novak, Susan Strasberg, Rosalind Russell, and Cliff Robertson. William Holden is electric as Hal Carter but the part desperately needed to be rewritten for him. He is supposed to be Cliff Robertson's college buddy, but in real life he was seven years older and looked even older than that.

It's getting hot in here watching all of this small town sexual repression and back-biting. Think I'll mix up a pitcher of iced tea and watch the rest of the movie.

shortbow

Practically Family
Saw The Golden Compass last nite. Really enjoyed a lot of it, especially the style, sets, fx, Nicole, and that kid heroine did a great job. Woulda been a five star movie but for the truncated ending. A certain type of precocious youngster would love this film. Interesting political/religious/philosophical overtones. Certainly see why some found it controversial. A good flick.

Brinybay

Practically Family
The Man Who Wasn't There - Not sure how I heard about this movie, maybe it was somebody on FL. Great vintage "stuff" (clothes, cars, etc), shot in B/W, somewhat bizzare plot. Billy Bob Thornton did well in this role. He's one of the few actors that can say nearly nothing and pull it off. Most actors with few lines but many appearances come across as deadpan or wooden, but not BBT. Does James Gandolfini ever play a role where he's not punching and kicking someone? But then, I've only seen him in Sopranos and this movie.

The Last of the Mohicans - No, not the 1992 version with Wes Studi as Magua, (which was good) I'm talking about the 1920 silent film version with Wallace Beery as Magua. OUT-STINKING-STANDING!! This is a must see! Keep in mind that in 1920, the US still had one foot in the Old West and memories were still fresh on what real Indian warfare was like. And no hang-ups about being PC either. It's available through Netflix.

Edward

Bartender
Brinybay said:
The Man Who Wasn't There - Not sure how I heard about this movie, maybe it was somebody on FL. Great vintage "stuff" (clothes, cars, etc), shot in B/W, somewhat bizzare plot. Billy Bob Thornton did well in this role. He's one of the few actors that can say nearly nothing and pull it off. Most actors with few lines but many appearances come across as deadpan or wooden, but not BBT. Does James Gandolfini ever play a role where he's not punching and kicking someone? But then, I've only seen him in Sopranos and this movie.

Saw it in the cinema on release - loved it. Really great 'feel' for the period, great character piece.

Feraud

Bartender
Brinybay said:
Keep in mind that in 1920, the US still had one foot in the Old West and memories were still fresh on what real Indian warfare was like. And no hang-ups about being PC either. It's available through Netflix.
Not to be...pedantic but the White/Indian warfare that took place in LOTM hadn't been seen by anyone for around 163 years by 1920.
Last of the Mohicans takes place in 1757 and concerns a drama in the midst of the French and Indian War. The action is different from the much later plains warfare.

Lulu-in-Ny

A-List Customer
Finally got around to seeing Atonement; I like it way more than I thought I would. The highlight for me had to be the scene where Robbie was in front of the movie screen- nothing beats seeing Jean Gabin where I least expect him...

Darhling

Call Me a Cab
I think tonight is going to be horror night a casa Darhling (as if every night isn't!) so, I am thinking Rosemary's Baby and Carrie .. maybe with a splash of Evil Dead in between.

Bond in Japan

I watched James Bond's "You Only Live Twice" last night on the Home Theater and was happy. This movie came out in 1967 and I was 10 when I saw it. I can recall seeing it in the movies and it was one of the things that shaped my ideas on the perfect woman as shown by the girl that played Aki. Beautiful and competant she was for me the most endearing woman in a Bond film to that point.

As an aside the White convertable Toyota which is i think a GT3000 is a really neat car. I have only seen one in person in the late seventies a Toyota dealer on Long Island had one on display and it was a cool sports car. Too bad they didn'y bring them into the US in great numbers.

It is an interesting look at the time and here we see an early glimpse at showcasing Japanese electronics.
The mix of tradition and modern is there too.

How does it hold up? Prretty good but there are a few points with the spacecraft you'd have to suspend disbelief to accept, others wise it is a fine Bond romp.

Also, as you watch Bond it is fun to see how many secondary charectors are played by actors they will go to for later films.

Edward

Bartender
Darhling said:
I think tonight is going to be horror night a casa Darhling (as if every night isn't!) so, I am thinking Rosemary's Baby and Carrie .. maybe with a splash of Evil Dead in between.

Can't beat a good slice of Bruce Campbell. Which one, though:

The first Evil Dead - the original, the only one which is truly a pure horror, and still has the power to unsettle?

Evil Dead II - which introduced an edge of comedy amid the gore, and brought us the iconic Ash image, with the chainsaw fist and boomstick combination first appearing (also perhaps one of the greatest movie endings ever seen),

or the purely-for-laughs Army of Darkness (aka Bruce Campbell v the Army of Darkness), which contains some of the finest lines of dialogue from the whole series?

:)

In a parallel universe, Bruce Campbell is the biggest star in the world, getting the recognition he so justly deserves in this one...

Darhling

Call Me a Cab
Edward said:
Can't beat a good slice of Bruce Campbell. Which one, though:

The first Evil Dead - the original, the only one which is truly a pure horror, and still has the power to unsettle?

Evil Dead II - which introduced an edge of comedy amid the gore, and brought us the iconic Ash image, with the chainsaw fist and boomstick combination first appearing (also perhaps one of the greatest movie endings ever seen),

or the purely-for-laughs Army of Darkness (aka Bruce Campbell v the Army of Darkness), which contains some of the finest lines of dialogue from the whole series?

:)

In a parallel universe, Bruce Campbell is the biggest star in the world, getting the recognition he so justly deserves in this one...

Oh its the first one :D I am a huge horror fan and on that account the first one is my fave of the three! I do love the chainsaw fist... off topic, has he ever done other watchable movies since? Maybe he has settled down in the other parallel world and has left us for good..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy