Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

LizzieMaine

Bartender
There weren't too many addiction/rehab movies in the twenties -- maybe because so many of the actors were actually addicts or actually in rehab -- but D. W. Griffith touched on such topics in some of his early Biographs. One that stands out was called "For His Son," which tells the story of a man who invents a cocaine-laced soda-fountain drink called "Dopo-Koke," only to see his own son become addicted to the product and move on then to the Hard Stuff before his wrenching tragic death.

Enjoy the Pause That Refreshes here --

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
I caught about 40 minutes of "The Petrified Forest" on TCM the other day (had to pull myself away as I can't keep watching this movie)

Apache beer bottle on the table and in a wide shot, there’s an Apache beer sign
on the wall.

Apachebottle.jpg

Coincidence ?

Apache beer bottle on the table and in a wide shot, there’s an Apache beer sign
on the wall.

View attachment 113399
Coincidence ?

You are spot on and funny that you bring that up. If you look for it, Apache Beer is everywhere in that movie - an all-but-certian early product placement.

Lizzie and I chatted about that once, with, as always, Lizzie providing most of the insight: http://www.thefedoralounge.com/thre...y-sure-smoked-a-lot.89427/page-2#post-2205935

Worf

I'll Lock Up
""The Philadelphia Story" - I hadn't seen this classic in years. Man is this one funny, funny film. I've seen it before but found myself howling! Perfect timing... outstanding casting and marvelous script writing. 5 stars indeed!

Worf

You must be smart. Half the time I have to look it up what she and vitanola
are expressing on certain topics.
Which is good because I learn by searching and reading more on the subject.

Half the time, I don't even understand those guys' "this or thats," and, like you, for a lot of their posts, I have to look the stuff up or ask follow up questions.

Still and all, I learn from it. And that's a good thing.

Agreed, that's why I love the two of them - I learn from them almost every day. Plus they are both good guys.

""The Philadelphia Story" - I hadn't seen this classic in years. Man is this one funny, funny film. I've seen it before but found myself howling! Perfect timing... outstanding casting and marvelous script writing. 5 stars indeed!

Worf

⇧ Agreed with all - it is a fantastic movie with whip-smart dialogue and a all-star cast. We saw it in the movie theater a couple of months ago at a TCM screening (my comments from that: http://www.thefedoralounge.com/thre...ovie-you-watched.20830/page-1239#post-2376974) - the stars came alive on that giant screen in a way they don't even on the new good TVs.

Julian Shellhammer

Practically Family
From 1936, an MGM "Crime Does Not Pay" short, Hit and Run Driver. Sort of procedural and early CSI. Not a wasted shot, nor any filler dialogue.
Followed by chapter 5 of a Red Barry serial. Larry (Buster) Crabbe in a swell suit and fedora battling Russian, Chinese, and local criminals for bonds designated for China's air force. Cool recap and intro as chapters 1 through 4 are recapitulated via a flip folder with cartoons and notations in the style of the comic strip.
Both courtesy of TCM.

Julian Shellhammer

Practically Family
There weren't too many addiction/rehab movies in the twenties -- maybe because so many of the actors were actually addicts or actually in rehab -- but D. W. Griffith touched on such topics in some of his early Biographs. One that stands out was called "For His Son," which tells the story of a man who invents a cocaine-laced soda-fountain drink called "Dopo-Koke," only to see his own son become addicted to the product and move on then to the Hard Stuff before his wrenching tragic death.

Dopo-koke? Yikes! And leave us not forget the world's foremost scientific detective "Coke Ennyday" in the The Mystery of the Leaping Fish, presented by Mr. Griffiths and starring Douglas Fairbanks.

Good one ⇧. As we chat about often, nothing is new. I am always amazed at the lengths some parents will go to enable their profligate children. Like, I'm sure, most of us, I've seen families of modest means blow through a life time of savings to support spendthrift children.

"The Zookeeper's Wife" 2017

The story of how the owners of Poland's Zoo during WWII managed to use the Zoo (which was, basically, converted to a pig farm for the Germans) to help ~300 Jews escape - by hiding some and serving as a temporary safe house for others - from the Warsaw Ghetto.

Like a lot of movies today, the period details - clothes, cars, architecture, etc. - are stunning and sets and cinematography are beautifully done (even scenes of devastation or poverty have a richness of detail to make them visually engaging) - but somehow the well-plotted story feels mechanical or overly engineered in a way that leaves it, IMHO, feeling flat and less emotionally impactful than you think it would be.

"The Zookeeper's Wife" fit this template perfectly - impressive to look out with a carefully crafted story (based on a true story), but the characters and dialogue feel like they were approved by a committee not written from the passion of the author. Also, while the broad facts of the story are true (according to the postscript, anyway), the scenes of conflict were, for the most part, too easily resolved while tension was repeatedly built up to a false crescendo as, other than once, something always saved the day.

I wanted to enjoy this one more - though it was visually stunning and respect the story of heroism at great personal risk behind it - but was left, overall, cold and unengaged by the characters and narrative.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
apachepass