Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Anatomy of a Murder on TCM. Seen it a number of times and still find it entertaining. Nice cast, story, and cinematography.

:D
My wife and I are watching it right now. I've seen parts of it before, but this is the first time I've seen it from the beginning. Courtroom dramas of this type are pretty much all the same, though some are better than others. I think this one excels because of the cast.

Worf

I'll Lock Up
Pushups or bench press work just fine.

Hey,,, hey HEY. I work out regularly. But there's only so much you can do. I was 350 plus at one point I'm almost 100 pounds lighter. All the pushups and weights in the world can't stop what's happening to me... trust me! The lighter the weight... the droopier the pecs. Now I'm depressed as hell... Thanks bud!

Worf

Hey,,, hey HEY. I work out regularly. But there's only so much you can do. I was 350 plus at one point I'm almost 100 pounds lighter. All the pushups and weights in the world can't stop what's happening to me... trust me! The lighter the weight... the droopier the pecs. Now I'm depressed as hell... Thanks bud!

Worf

But impressive job on the weight loss - that's not easy. Congrats.

Benzadmiral

Call Me a Cab
You might be referring to "Penny Serenade," which includes an adoption, but is, overall, a brutally sad movie. I respect it as a movie - strong writing and acting - but I have no desire to sit through the sadness again.
It is sad . . . but it features probably the most moving performance Cary Grant ever gave. The scene with the judge -- After watching that, anybody who could dismiss Grant as "merely" a light comedy actor does not know what he is talking about.

Benzadmiral

Call Me a Cab
Stand by Me
"Wonderful film. Saw it originally when I was fifteen, then again at thirty-eight. Much as I loved it the first time around, it's just not a film that you can fully appreciate I think unless you're an adult looking back on childhood. (c/f the Trainspotting 2 film, which is really about being a man in your forties looking back on your youthful twenties and wondering where it all went wrong)." Edward

For me this film simply brings back pleasant memories of my pals and the things we did to have a good time with what we had.
It wasn't much but we made the best of it. :)
I don't think you have to be in your 40s to appreciate the movie, or the novelette by Stephen King. I read the story when I was about 29 and saw the film when I was 32. Both, I thought, were fantastic. (Probably one of King's greatest works, along with "Rita Hayworth and Shawshank Redemption.")

Benzadmiral

Call Me a Cab
My wife and I are watching it right now. I've seen parts of it before, but this is the first time I've seen it from the beginning. Courtroom dramas of this type are pretty much all the same, though some are better than others. I think this one excels because of the cast.
Re: Anatomy of a Murder, it is the cast, yes, but there are flashes of humor in it that lighten the tone just at the right moment they're needed. A good adaptation of the novel (which also had the humor -- it's narrated by the character Stewart plays).

And it was pretty shocking to hear dialog about r*a*p*e* in 1959. I suspect the studio wanted director Otto Preminger to tone the shocking qualities down, as they had with his earlier Man With the Golden Arm, and he ignored them.

Worf
Get job on the weight loss. Working out helps, but cannot solve all problems or conquer aging. Still, a push-up vest is not the answer. Nor is an extra tight shirt. Keep up the good/hard work.

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
Greatt job on the weight loss. Working out helps, but cannot solve all problems or conquer aging. Still, a push-up vest is not the answer. Nor is an extra tight shirt. Keep up the good/hard work.
:Dq

Along with a workout, I cut down on junk food plus soda water
and lost weight in no time.

Ordinarily I don't have the discipline to maintain a consistent
schedule for working out on a daily basis.

My incentive was a tennis date with a girl who plays
tournaments
and needed to loose a few pounds in order to keep up with her.

The purpose was mostly to enjoy a good hit but along the way
I got rid of some extra baggage around the waistline.

Last edited:

MisterCairo

I'll Lock Up
80% diet, 20% exercise.

Not "going on a diet", just diet.

A glass of OJ, no pop (not even "diet" - that sweetness rushing over your sensors sends a signal to your lizard brain that you are taking in sugar, so the body converts sugar already in you into fat)

No chocolate bars, the very occasional dessert

No potato chips

No fast food, the occasional meal out (even then, your plate is likely to be 60% fuller than anything you'd serve yourself at home)

That last key to it all: PORTION CONTROL

No need to eliminate carbs (a baked potato without gobs of sour cream and cheese is a near perfect food), or eggs (they ARE a perfect food, yolk and all), or any basic food item.

Just regulate how much, and keep somewhat active!

"Knute Rockne All American" 1940 staring Pat O'Brien

While we know Warners Brothers had no trouble showing the seedy, the ugly, the malevolent side of American life in the '30s - '50s, this biopic proves WB could also produce reasonably entertaining hagiography with the best of them. Here, Knute Rockne is a saint - always honest, always looking out for the other guy, always willing to put his life and success on the line for "what's right," while he turns down advertising offers as unseemly and, big picture, owes his success to effort, grit, values, family and commitment.

My guess is he was a good, decent and flawed man, but if this biopic was made today, we'd learn - and the movie would focus on - whatever character flaw it found to drive the entire arc of the movie. Is there no honest balance? Back then, it was all flaw-free heroes; today, every flaw is blown up to undermine any heroism. Okay, rant over.

Having only seen parts of this movie for years, I finally watched it from beginning to end, if for no other reason then to see the famous Reagan line, "...win just one for the Gipper" in context, which is way too earnest to survive today's cynicism. Everything else in the movie is the same - hard work pays off (I still believe it does in most cases, not all), honesty is rewarded (I still believe it is in most cases, not all) and church morality is kind, forgiving but righteous. Character flaws are usually small, exposed in youth and corrected. If you can take all that, the movie has some enjoyable moments especially when revealing some of the innovations Rockne truly did bring to the, then, inchoate game of football.

Some movies bring you into their world and you lose yourself in them. Others don't work at all. This one you can watch as a moment-in-time style of picture making - a historical curio - that's modestly entertaining as a picture, has some good time travel (great '30s and '40s football gear and game clips) but never really connects in a serious way with the viewer because all real-life drama, conflicts and challenges are scrubbed clean.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
If that one film had never been made, American history would have been drastically different. That said, it's the greatest football movie ever. With the possible exceptions of "Brian's Song" and "Horsefeathers."

Pat O'Brien is perfect in the role -- unless you've seen most of his early Warner films, where he's usually a loud-mouthed, fast-talking Irish con man. Overlaying the O'Brien of "The Front Page," "Page Miss Glory," "Twenty Million Sweethearts" or "Boy Meets Girl" with the O'Brien of St. Rockne gives the viewer a whole different perspective.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Just finished a prescreening of the most talked-about indie film of the summer, "Won't You Be My Neighbor?"

This is the rare talking-head documentary that's worth your time if you're at all a thinking human being. In a world where compassion is often considered a weakness, this film pulls no punches in holding Fred Rogers up as an example not just of television at its finest, but of humanity at its most fundamentally decent. You don't have to have watched his show to appreciate the film, but if you didn't you'll come away wishing you had. And if you only saw the show as a snarky teenager who dismissed him as a creepy old guy who played with puppets, your attitude will get straightened out real fast.

There are lots of clips, lots of interviews with colleagues and family, and some of them are immensely entertaining -- the image of Mister Rogers laughing and carrying on on-set with a gang of bearded, tattooed, misfit rock-n-roll techies on his crew is really heartwarming, and the moment Rogers' real-life sister Elaine appears on screen to confess that she was the inspiration for Lady Elaine Fairchilde is a laugh-out-loud moment when you see just how much the poor old gal actually resembles the puppet. And of course there are a *lot* of tears and sniffling, I don't care how hard-boiled you think you are.

For me, though, the most intense moment in the film comes in an interview clip where Rogers is talking about how children are exploited by commercial pop culture. He *glares* into the camera with a look of absolute fury on his face, a tightly-controlled rage over the mistreatment of children that blazes up out of somewhere very deep inside. In that moment you get the sense of just how strong, how steely, and how motivated Fred Rogers really was, and you begin to see where all those Navy SEAL rumors came from. Make all the jokes you want about sweaters and sneakers, this was a *man.*

See this movie. It's the best superhero film ever made.

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
Novitiate - a drama from last year about a girl training to become a nun in the sixties just as the Vatican II reforms are underway.

Having been raised Jewish I don't know a lot about nuns - beyond The Nun's Story, Black Narcissus, Heaven Knows Mrs. Allison, The Sound of Music, etc.! - but I found it to be an engrossing, thought-provoking, well done film. Excellent performances by Melissa Leo as the Mother Superior, Julianne Nicholson as the protagonist's non-religious mother, and all the younger actresses playing novices and nuns.

Recommended... if you like heavy dramas.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ