Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

LizzieMaine

Bartender
I'd love to see a sequel to "Christopher Robin" telling the story of how Disney and Stephen Shlesinger screwed the Milne family out of millions. But Hollywood wouldn't dare make that story -- the Mouse wouldn't allow it. You never get a Hollywood film that really *really* challenges the status quo. An indie film might do it, but good luck getting distribution from Fox Searchlight, Focus, A24, or any of the other corporate-controlled "indie distribution" fronts.

...And Fading, I think you're being a bit hard on Goodbye Christopher Robin. Despite being a period piece it's a current-day film and it's got current-day observations and storytelling. In the same way that films from the past are products of their time, it's a product of this time. Would you rather it was done forties M-G-M style as the prettied-up tale of a devoted writer and his beloved son… without including his PTSD and how difficult being "Christopher Robin" was for the kid throughout his life?

I don't think I made my point clearly and I apologize for that. I think the '40s hagiography was as silly as is our modern biopic meme [:)] of tearing all heroism down to some human failing. I thought the movie was good - and noted that twice - what I find off putting is that almost every biopic is really an anti-heroism movie where whatever failing / flaw / negative existed in someone's life is given the majority of the emphasis and is seen as the source of their success.

I'm on shaky ground in this particular example as I don't know anything about the life of Alan Milne so maybe he was a lost man, all but shattered with PTSD, a distant father who, almost mercenary like, used his son and the experiences he had with his son to revive his writing career for personal glory and redemption. If so, then the movie was spot on.

But I wonder if another version couldn't have given primary weight to his writing talent, his insight, perhaps his love for his son's joy of life and the joy it brought him (and a desire to share it with the world to uplift) - to give Winnie the Pooh a birthing in a heroic light.

As noted, I don't know his life, so that might be all wrong. But I have watched enough modern biopics to see the pattern: find a disfunction(s) in the creator's life, make it (them) the central core of his or her inspiration, show the negative effect it has on those around them, tie it to modern political pieties (wanting money, except to give to others, is always bad, for example) and call it a wrap once you've wrung most of the good, the positive the heroism out of the person's life.

Knute Rockne was probably no where near the clean cut, all-good man of the movie of the '40s, but I doubt all of today's creators are the mass of disfunction and destruction to those around them that most biopic show them as. That's what I'm against as I see today's formula as equally two-dimensional, distorting and politically driven as the "perfect hero" formula of the '30s and '40s was. Reality, I bet, is in-between, but both movie-making eras were/are more interested in pushing their respective political narratives to bother with a balanced view of reality.

Last edited:

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
Heroes!
I watched Walt Disney's Davy Crockett (1955) with Fess Parker and Billy Bob's Davy (The Alamo) in 2004.

Although as different as "night & day"
with regards to David Crockett....
I'm kinda glad that they came in that order for a kid growing up and perhaps
not ready to fully understand it all.

I did an interview with relatives of Crockett
during the sesquacentennial ceremony at
the Alamo with regards about Crockett's
demise at the battle, hoping perhaps they could provide some information.
But they basically told me that since there
were no fighting survivors except for the
women inside the chapel... "nobody will ever know for sure!"

Last edited:
...Also, Patricia Neal is a very underrated / under-appreciated actress.
I've seen so little from her body of work that I feel I can't make a fair assessment. But in the few things I have seen, to me it seems she regularly had little to no chemistry with her co-stars. Sometimes that works in her characters' favor and works for the story they're trying to tell, but for the most part that "closed off" aspect of her personal character leaves me cold. So it surprised me to see her be so warm and charismatic in A Face in the Crowd because it was the first time I've seen her in that light, and it really helped to make her character and performance more believable.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
As a brilliant exception to the rule that hard-core critiques of the status quo don't get made or distributed, I offer one of the most extraordinary up-yours in-your-face films I've ever seen -- "Sorry To Bother You," by the filmmaker/rapper Boots Riley. What starts out as a trenchant satire of the telemarketing racket morphs first into a raised-fist inspirational labor story -- and then quickly escalates into a full-throated demolition of modern American capitalist society strained thru the filter of body horror. Suffice it to say that if Spike Lee, Clifford Odets, and David Lynch stayed up all night to thrash out a movie script it would come out very much like this.

I've never seen anything like this before in my life, and I doubt I ever will again, and I won't really need to -- because I'll never forget a single frame of it. A work of surreal genius.

I've seen so little from her body of work that I feel I can't make a fair assessment. But in the few things I have seen, to me it seems she regularly had little to no chemistry with her co-stars. Sometimes that works in her characters' favor and works for the story they're trying to tell, but for the most part that "closed off" aspect of her personal character leaves me cold. So it surprised me to see her be so warm and charismatic in A Face in the Crowd because it was the first time I've seen her in that light, and it really helped to make her character and performance more believable.

I don't know if it was Neal's fault or Wayne's, but "In Harms Way" there is no, zero, zilch chemistry between the two of them which - considering that their relationship is the movie's pivot - leaves the entire effort feeling flat to me.

In addition to "A Face in the Crowd," the movies where she really shines, IMO, are "Hud," "Breakfast at Tiffany's," "The Day the Earth Stood Still," and "The Subject Was Roses." The last one is a tour de force in acting by Neil (and Albertson and Sheen).

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
Ant-Man and the Wasp... As expected, a lighter Marvel film, fun and caper-y like the first one. Nice to finally see a heroine in the title of an MCU film, and Lily doesn't disappoint as the Wasp. It's a lower stakes story with its only connection to the main MCU plotline coming in the mid-credits scene. It's charming and very funny - nearly the whole cast gets a chance to shine... but it's not essential theatrical viewing. Two-and-a-half stars.

I don't know if it was Neal's fault or Wayne's, but "In Harms Way" there is no, zero, zilch chemistry between the two of them which - considering that their relationship is the movie's pivot - leaves the entire effort feeling flat to me...
I haven't seen In Harm's Way, but I have seen Operation Pacific (1951) in which Wayne and Neal play ex-husband and ex-wife. Part of the plot is Wayne's character trying to "win her back" but, as you described, there is no chemistry between them and the end results are anything but convincing. It has been reported that they did not get along during filming, allegedly because Neal didn't like the way Wayne treated a gay publicity man, and it shows in their performances.

...In addition to "A Face in the Crowd," the movies where she really shines, IMO, are "Hud," "Breakfast at Tiffany's," "The Day the Earth Stood Still," and "The Subject Was Roses." The last one is a tour de force in acting by Neil (and Albertson and Sheen).
I haven't seen Hud or The Subject Was Roses, but I've seen Breakfast at Tiffany's a couple of times and don't really care for it. I've seen The Day the Earth Stood Still a number of times and agree Neal is very good in it, but she subsequently admitted she thought the movie would be "Just another trashy flying saucer film" and had a hard time keeping a straight face during filming.

I haven't seen In Harm's Way, but I have seen Operation Pacific (1951) in which Wayne and Neal play ex-husband and ex-wife. Part of the plot is Wayne's character trying to "win her back" but, as you described, there is no chemistry between them and the end results are anything but convincing. It has been reported that they did not get along during filming, allegedly because Neal didn't like the way Wayne treated a gay publicity man, and it shows in their performances.

I haven't seen Hud or The Subject Was Roses, but I've seen Breakfast at Tiffany's a couple of times and don't really care for it. I've seen The Day the Earth Stood Still a number of times and agree Neal is very good in it, but she subsequently admitted she thought the movie would be "Just another trashy flying saucer film" and had a hard time keeping a straight face during filming.

Oops, I confused "In Harm's Way" with "Operation Pacific" (humbly, he asks, please apply all prior IHW comments to OP).

"Hud" and "The Subject Was Roses" are her two best movies (nudging out "The Day the Earth Stood Still" and acknowledging her relatively small role in "Breakfast at Tiffany's").

If you get a chance to see those, I'd love to hear your thoughts on the movies and her performances in them.

Kudos to her re "The Day the Earth Stood Still," as, if she really felt that way, she was too much of a professional to let it show at all.

"It's a Great Feeling" 1949 staring Jack Carson, Dennis Morgan and Doris Day

This is an odd movie, more of a long-running inside joke where, on the surface, Jack Carson plays himself trying to make a movie at Warner Brothers in which no one wants to work with him because he's too big a ham; but really, the movie's a rolling promo for the studio's stars who pop up in one cameo after another wonderfully spoofing their on-screen images.

The plot - Carson and his "pal" Dennis Morgan try to prevent the movie's budget from being cancelled while, also, trying to convince the studio to cast unknown Doris Day (not playing herself) in the female lead - is beside the point as all the fun is in watching an incredible list of stars - (from memory) Edward G. Robinson, Joan Crawford, Gary Cooper, Sydney Greenstreet, Danny Kaye, Patricia Neal (looking ridiculously young and beautiful), Ronald Reagan, Errol Flynn, Jayne Wyman and others - make fun of their screen personas.

The two best cameos - it's hard to choose - are watching Robinson all but beg a studio security guard to act intimidated by him because he has to maintain his "tough guy" image and seeing Joan Crawford deliver an excoriating dress-down and hard slaps to the faces of Carson and Morgan followed by her light-hearted explanation of why to the surprised boys - "I do that in all my pictures."

And that's about it, but it's good fun if you are familiar enough with the stars to get the "inside" jokes and if you're in the mood for a quirky, light parody of Hollywood while its Golden Era was still holding on.

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
Safety Not Guaranteed - a strange little indie film about Seattle reporters (Aubrey Plaza, Jake Johnson) investigating a guy (Mark Duplass) who placed a personal ad looking for someone to time-travel with him. Not a SF film, more a character study edging into quirky romance. Not exactly good, but it held my interest.

Benzadmiral

Call Me a Cab
Oops, I confused "In Harm's Way" with "Operation Pacific" (humbly, he asks, please apply all prior IHW comments to OP).

"Hud" and "The Subject Was Roses" are her two best movies (nudging out "The Day the Earth Stood Still" and acknowledging her relatively small role in "Breakfast at Tiffany's").

If you get a chance to see those, I'd love to hear your thoughts on the movies and her performances in them.

Kudos to her re "The Day the Earth Stood Still," as, if she really felt that way, she was too much of a professional to let it show at all.
What role did Patricia Neal play in Tiffany's?? It's been a while since I've seen the movie. Was she the heiress (or something like that) who wanted to, ah, "subsidize" George Peppard?

What role did Patricia Neal play in Tiffany's?? It's been a while since I've seen the movie. Was she the heiress (or something like that) who wanted to, ah, "subsidize" George Peppard?

I believe her funds came from her wealthy husband, but yes, she "subsidized" Peppard's writing career in return for, er, um, services rendered. What's important about that is it made him a gigolo, thus, pretty much the same thing as Hepburn who, at least in the book (kept much vaguer in the movie), was a high-priced call girl. Hence, the bond between Peppard and Hepburn had a common tie as neither of them (not my opinion of them, but their's) respected themselves. The story is much grittier and cohesive in the book before it was cleaned up and muddled in the movie.

Worf

I'll Lock Up
As a brilliant exception to the rule that hard-core critiques of the status quo don't get made or distributed, I offer one of the most extraordinary up-yours in-your-face films I've ever seen -- "Sorry To Bother You," by the filmmaker/rapper Boots Riley. What starts out as a trenchant satire of the telemarketing racket morphs first into a raised-fist inspirational labor story -- and then quickly escalates into a full-throated demolition of modern American capitalist society strained thru the filter of body horror. Suffice it to say that if Spike Lee, Clifford Odets, and David Lynch stayed up all night to thrash out a movie script it would come out very much like this.

I've never seen anything like this before in my life, and I doubt I ever will again, and I won't really need to -- because I'll never forget a single frame of it. A work of surreal genius.

My friend Sugi who used to own an art house just recommended this one to me quite highly. Between both of your recommendations I HAVE to see it. Your recommendation makes me write a movie down... both of your thumbs up is akin to getting it straight from the burning bush! Throw in that they serve popcorn with melted, fattening REAL butter... I gotsta go! (slorp.. ahm droolin' already)

Worf

Worf

I'll Lock Up

Glad you corrected yourself. There is NO chemistry in "Operation Pacific" however in "In Harm's Way" I found their relationship both believable and touching. Good point though. I've mostly enjoyed her work. She the kinda smart, attractive no-nonsense woman I'd wish I'd met in my 30's. I'm sure she'd have stopped me from being so blasted stupid back then.... sigh.

Worf

Worf

I'll Lock Up
"Battle Royale" - Wow! This dystopian Japanese film still rocks me... years after having seen it. Made in 1997 but still frighteningly relevant today you can see how many later films this one influenced. "The Hunger Games' should be sued for out n out plagiarism!

Worf

LizzieMaine

Bartender
My friend Sugi who used to own an art house just recommended this one to me quite highly. Between both of your recommendations I HAVE to see it. Your recommendation makes me write a movie down... both of your thumbs up is akin to getting it straight from the burning bush! Throw in that they serve popcorn with melted, fattening REAL butter... I gotsta go! (slorp.. ahm droolin' already)

Worf

It's been two days since I saw it and I'm still turning it over in my mind. There's one scene in particular that's one of the most powerful indictments I've ever seen on the screen, and I was just speechless watching it unfold. Genius.

Julian Shellhammer

Practically Family
A Walk in the Sun (1945) directed by Lewis Milestone, with a large cast headed by Richard Conte, Dana Andrews, George Tyne, Lloyd Bridges, and the screen debut of John Ireland. Huntz Hall gets a sort of straight role as a GI.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
Mad Max Fury Road - I lasted just over an hour. I found this terribly kitsch and obvious and without a single genuine moment. I was unable to suspend my disbelief and had to move on. Interesting that the critics seemed to love it here. I was surprised by how hammy and contrived it was. Maybe the last hour is genius and makes Orson Welles look like Michael Bay. I'll never know.

Glad you corrected yourself. There is NO chemistry in "Operation Pacific" however in "In Harm's Way" I found their relationship both believable and touching. Good point though. I've mostly enjoyed her work. She the kinda smart, attractive no-nonsense woman I'd wish I'd met in my 30's. I'm sure she'd have stopped me from being so blasted stupid back then.... sigh.

Worf

I dated a lot in my teens and 20s which taught me several things including being smart enough to stay with the "smart, attractive no-nonsense" woman I met when I was 33 - whom I've been with for, now, 21 years.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana