Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
The ending to Open Range was pretty clear to me. Man professes love to woman, woman responds positively, man has some unfinished business (that was stated at beginning of story) but will return, and we (I) presume he does.

The ending to Open Range was pretty clear to me. Man professes love to woman, woman responds positively, man has some unfinished business (that was stated at beginning of story) but will return, and we (I) presume he does.
Oh, I got that. It just seems to me (and to most of the people I know who saw it) that it should have ended right after Charley (Costner) told Sue (Bening) he'd be back after he and Boss Spearman (Duvall) sold the cattle. Done. But no, the next thing you know Sue's riding out of town with them, then her brother rides out to have a brief and unnecessary conversation with them; it all felt like it was tacked on at the last minute.

All things considered, if the worst thing I can say about a movie is that I felt it included an unnecessary five minutes worth of footage I'd say it's a job well done.

Worf

I'll Lock Up
Veteran's Day Marathon:

"Battle of the Bulge" - The only thing right "historically" is the title of the movie. Wrong units, wrong tanks, wrong uniforms but still a rousing picture. Charles Bronson steals the show as tough as nails Major Wollinsky. His thoughts on what should be done with Germany post war are a classic!

"Bataan" - Mid war classic that is amazingly gory for its time. Blood, smoking bullet holes, torture, beheadings and head shots. Rugged depiction of the early dark days of the war in the Pacific where the Japanese were winning on land, sea and air.

There are a few more in the DVR but I ran out of time.
Worf.

Benzadmiral

Call Me a Cab
A big chunk of The Philadelphia Story (1940). What impressed me, along with the oceans of sprightly dialog delivered with style, was the two sides to Cary Grant's character, C.K. Dexter Haven. He's smart and witty and gives as good as he gets with his former wife, Tracy (Katharine Hepburn). Then, in a calm but funny scene with the drunken Macaulay (Mike) Connor (Stewart), he is another man entirely: quiet and reflective, he listens carefully to whatever Connor spouts, and mentions that he has quit drinking -- one of Tracy's big complaints about him was how much he drank. Yet he does not tell her that he has quit, as if he has decided, "Well, if she can't see that I've changed, I'm certainly not going to tell her."

This was the same year he did his quiet little dramatic/romantic film, Penny Serenade. If anybody says to you, "All Cary Grant could do was comedy," have him watch that film, and the scenes I mention above from Philadelphia Story.

1967Cougar390

Practically Family
I watched Alfred Hitchcock’s Spellbound this afternoon. I really enjoyed the story line. Ingrid Bergman and Gregory Peck were great in their roles. A mystery with a love story and Hitchcock’s flare. You can’t hardly ask for better especially while getting to look at Ingrid Bergman’s beauty for two hours.
Steven
5A7013D4-DF9F-46E8-B945-92541D983F98.jpeg

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
I believe the dog should've received an Oscar.
Without a script, just by the way he walks away---manages to convey the deadly seriousness of what is about to transpire. ;)

Last edited:

1967Cougar390

Practically Family
At the moment, Johnny Eager on TCM. Great camera work throughout. Van Heflin is the most entertaining character; a real natural actor. It is worth a viewing.
:D
I started watching Johnny Eager yesterday afternoon. I had to stop when his parole officer was doing his home visit. I recorded it on the DVR so I can finish watching it this afternoon.

Steven

A big chunk of The Philadelphia Story (1940). What impressed me, along with the oceans of sprightly dialog delivered with style, was the two sides to Cary Grant's character, C.K. Dexter Haven. He's smart and witty and gives as good as he gets with his former wife, Tracy (Katharine Hepburn). Then, in a calm but funny scene with the drunken Macaulay (Mike) Connor (Stewart), he is another man entirely: quiet and reflective, he listens carefully to whatever Connor spouts, and mentions that he has quit drinking -- one of Tracy's big complaints about him was how much he drank. Yet he does not tell her that he has quit, as if he has decided, "Well, if she can't see that I've changed, I'm certainly not going to tell her."

This was the same year he did his quiet little dramatic/romantic film, Penny Serenade. If anybody says to you, "All Cary Grant could do was comedy," have him watch that film, and the scenes I mention above from Philadelphia Story.

I agree with everything you wrote here. The Stewart-confesses-to-Grant scene is a masterpiece - actors at the top of their craft where Grant uses subtle body English or a slight facial movement to convey a whole lot of thought and emotion.

Benzadmiral

Call Me a Cab
. . .
"The Silencers" 1966
  • First Matt Helm movie and too campy for my taste, but maybe it felt fresh at the time
  • For the day, they were not shy at throwing one after another very, very, very scantily clad woman in a scene
  • Basically, a mid-1960's (pre Hippies) middle-aged male fantasy movie
If only someone had done, or would do now as period pieces, Donald Hamilton's Matt Helm stories as true to the novels. They are definitely hardboiled spy stuff -- Hammett and Chandler would have been at home with them. Hamilton had a number of novels, generally Westerns, turned into good movies; The Big Country with Gregory Peck is one of them. But his reputation is not well served by the Dean Martin films.

If only someone had done, or would do now as period pieces, Donald Hamilton's Matt Helm stories as true to the novels. They are definitely hardboiled spy stuff -- Hammett and Chandler would have been at home with them. Hamilton had a number of novels, generally Westerns, turned into good movies; The Big Country with Gregory Peck is one of them. But his reputation is not well served by the Dean Martin films.

TCM's host - the really young guy (haven't learned his name yet) - noted, as you said, that the novels were more Ian-Fleming like, but the movie producers felt they couldn't (paraphrasing his comments) "out-Bond Bond," so they went with parody. Also, they were (again, according to TCM) produced by Dean Martin's company - the results, to my eye, were a Dean Martin ego project (and, overall, I'm a fan of Martin). "Big Country" is one of my favorite Westerns - top five on my list.

Benzadmiral

Call Me a Cab
TCM's host - the really young guy (haven't learned his name yet) - noted, as you said, that the novels were more Ian-Fleming like, but the movie producers felt they couldn't (paraphrasing his comments) "out-Bond Bond," so they went with parody. Also, they were (again, according to TCM) produced by Dean Martin's company - the results, to my eye, were a Dean Martin ego project (and, overall, I'm a fan of Martin). "Big Country" is one of my favorite Westerns - top five on my list.
Isn't the young guy Joe Mankiewicz's son, Ben?

Julian Shellhammer

Practically Family
Paths of Glory (1957) with Kirk Douglas, Adolphe Menjou, George Macready, and many more. An appropriate film seeing as how the 100th anniversary of the signing of the Armistice was 11/11/2018. Every time I watch it I'm still overwhelmed by all the emotions it evokes.

Worf

I'll Lock Up
Nah, Ben's old already (says the 54 year old guy), there's a younger guy also doing intros now.

Just looked him up:http://www.tcm.com/this-month/article/1386700|0/Dave-Karger-TCM-Host.html

View attachment 144301
Puddin' can't stand this guy. Can't look at him... say's his mouth reminds her of "The Joker" as his smile extends way beyond his lips. I don't find him that creepy but he does strike me as a bit "off" as it were. Mebbe he'll grow on us... who knows?

Worf

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou