Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Corto

A-List Customer
I just finished watching The Life and Death of Colonel Blimp (1943).

Absolutely fascinating film about a British soldier who served from the Boer War through to WWII. Strangely touching and powerful. I'm not really sure what the message was...it was either a satire on the old, monied class clinging to the Empire and Victorian codes of honor (in a world apparently without it), or it was a reminder that those values should be upheld...Maybe both...

Regardless, it was a wonderful film and it kept me riveted.

Imahomer

Practically Family
I saw the new "The Day the Earth Stood Still" movie. It was alright, but now I'm watching the old It's a Wonderful Life on tv and it's better.[huh]

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
Corto said:
I just finished watching The Life and Death of Colonel Blimp (1943).

Absolutely fascinating film about a British soldier who served from the Boer War through to WWII. Strangely touching and powerful. I'm not really sure what the message was...it was either a satire on the old, monied class clinging to the Empire and Victorian codes of honor (in a world apparently without it), or it was a reminder that those values should be upheld...Maybe both...

Regardless, it was a wonderful film and it kept me riveted.

That's a great film, right up there with Powell & Pressburger's other masterpieces - A Matter of Life and Death, Black Narcissus, The Red Shoes, etc. For all you could ever want to know about the film, see this incredible resource:

http://www.powell-pressburger.org/Reviews/43_Blimp/index.html

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
I finally caught "Sunset Boulevard" and was absolutely amazed. It was so prescient about the celebrity obsessed culture that would gain even more ground in the years to come.

It was also a fearless performance from Gloria Swanson -though it bears some commentary to mention that she was only 51 or so during filming- to confront so much psychological gravity and themes that had to overlap with her insecurities and fears. The fact that she did not win an Academy Award for the performance must be one of the greatest travesties its history.

As a psychological study of a desperate and self-deluded woman and her twisted self-image was disturbing, intriguing, grotesque, yet magnetic, like the gory train-wreck that is coming and you cannot look awake. It's the same feeling you get when you meet people like this in person; that morbid fascination.

In short, truly a landmark in the history of film and one worth lingering on.

Kermez

A-List Customer
Vacancy

The whole movie I just kept thinking that if one or both of them had handguns (with or without the proper concealed-carry licenses), it would have gone MUCH easier and better for them.

That would never happen to me. If 13 .40 caliber hydra-shock rounds didn't stop 3 guys with knives, I'd just load a second magazine! :p

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Saw "Cloverfield" last night. I knew absolutely nothing about it beforehand and must say I thoroughly enjoyed it. Quite the rollercoaster of a romp. Two thumbs up.

KY Gentleman

One Too Many
Kermez said:
Vacancy

The whole movie I just kept thinking that if one or both of them had handguns (with or without the proper concealed-carry licenses), it would have gone MUCH easier and better for them.

That would never happen to me. If 13 .40 caliber hydra-shock rounds didn't stop 3 guys with knives, I'd just load a second magazine! :p

I have similar feelings everytime I watch a scary movie. When my wife and I watched "Vacancy" I believe even she echoed your sentiments!

Kermez

A-List Customer
KY Gentleman said:
I have similar feelings everytime I watch a scary movie. When my wife and I watched "Vacancy" I believe even she echoed your sentiments!

Yeah, being a gun owner (and carrier) has taken all the scares out of non-supernatural thriller/stalker movies. [huh]

I can live with that. :D

KY Gentleman

One Too Many
I watched the original "The Day The Earth Stood Still" tonight.
Wow, for 1951 the story and the effects were STILL great.
I can't see how the re-make could be any better, but I still intend to watch it. I really have become a Patricia Neal fan now, first "HUD" and now this.

hotrodmama0201

Familiar Face
I picked up from the library this week:

Run Silent, Run Deep
Citizen Kane
Vertigo
The Lost Weekend
Sabrina
Casablanca

We watched Casablanca tonight. I wanna watch Citizen Kane tomorrow, it's been a really long time since I've seen it.

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
It's a VASTLY better experience if you have seen the Firefly episodes first.

If you liked Serenity, I strongly recommend that you watch the series too, even though seeing Serenity first spoils some of the mysteries of the show's plotting. Anyway, it's a brilliant little show that I can't praise enough...

(Oh, and Firefly's truncated original run wasn't on cable - it was broadcast by Fox.)

just_me

Practically Family
KY Gentleman said:
I watched the original "The Day The Earth Stood Still" tonight.
Wow, for 1951 the story and the effects were STILL great.
I can't see how the re-make could be any better, but I still intend to watch it. I really have become a Patricia Neal fan now, first "HUD" and now this.
I was about 12 yrs. old the first time I watched it (on TV). My friend and I thought it was great (and scary).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk