Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

just_me

Practically Family
Recent version of Journey to the Center of the Earth. They tried for the lighthearted adventure story. It was sort of entertaining, but a real lightweight and a strong suspension of disbelief is a must.

KY Gentleman

One Too Many
Tonight I watched "A Night To Remember". I recorded it the other night off of Retroplex. I think it was a great movie and the events were served just as well as the movie "Titanic". I liked it better without the Jack and Rose storyline, just the depiction of events.
Afterward I was able to watch "Nosferatu" for the first time. Creepy good stuff. I have to re-watch "Shadow of a Vampire" again now.

just_me

Practically Family
Libeled Lady. Really enjoyed it. Tonight will be Heaven Can Wait with Don Ameche (directed by Ernst Lubitsch).

stephen1965

One of the Regulars
Went to the cinema today to see 'The 39 Steps', the Hitchcock 1935 version. Absolutely great. Clothes, action, romance and I was one of 3 people in the entire cinema.

Corto

A-List Customer
I just watched "My Boy Jack". Very poignant and powerful, especially if you're a Kipling fan. Hoskins did an amazing job. If you rent it, make sure you watch the deleted scenes. There was at least one that added some value to the movie.

Feraud

Bartender
Girl 27. An excellent documentary about the rape and coverup of an underage dancer in the 30s involving MGM studios, a salesman's party, and the L.A. criminal justice system.
This is a must see if you are a fan of film and the era.

A thank you to Mike for recommending this.

mike

Call Me a Cab
Feraud said:
Girl 27. An excellent documentary about the rape and coverup of an underage dancer in the 30s involving MGM studios, a salesman's party, and the L.A. criminal justice system.
This is a must see if you are a fan of film and the era.

A thank you to Mike for recommending this.

Oh that's great news, I'm so glad you liked it! I was really surprised about just how intense the story was. Also it was pretty eyeopening to realize that Los Angeles still wasn't too far removed from the wild west of a couple of decades earlier, LB Mayer ruled over the justice system with an iron grip! Where did you get it from?

Feraud

Bartender
Yes it was intense. We rented it from Netflix. My wife and I both thought it was a great doc.
The information on Loretta Young and Clark Gable was eye opening. I had no idea...
You are correct about the Wild West aspect. Justice seems to have gone to those with the money, power, and violence to take it.

I had a chance to see the 1925 silent Wizard of Oz.

mike

Call Me a Cab
Feraud said:
Yes it was intense. We rented it from Netflix. My wife and I both thought it was a great doc.
The information on Loretta Young and Clark Gable was eye opening. I had no idea...
You are correct about the Wild West aspect. Justice seems to have gone to those with the money, power, and violence to take it.

I had a chance to see the 1925 silent Wizard of Oz.

That side story about Loretta Young and Clark Gable really was crazy! I had no idea! I really liked him, and I think I've tried to push that information out of my head :eusa_doh: I might have to own this movie.

How was the '25 Wizard of Oz? I have never seen any of the silent Oz-related films and was always curious.

Anyone interested in the films of Frank Borzage?

Feraud

Bartender
I too like Gable but what he and Young did to their daughter was horrific.

The '25 Oz was o.k. The story wasn't very cohesive but it was interesting to see Oliver Hardy in what is I assume his pre-Laurel & Hardy days. The film felt like a series of set-ups for various pratfalls.

mike

Call Me a Cab
Feraud said:
I too like Gable but what he and Young did to their daughter was horrific.

The '25 Oz was o.k. The story wasn't very cohesive but it was interesting to see Oliver Hardy in what is I assume his pre-Laurel & Hardy days. The film felt like a series of set-ups for various pratfalls.

Speaking of silent films, are you aware of the really rare and interesting Douglas Fairbanks film festival going on over the next 3 weeks or so at the MOMA? Wanna go some time? My work schedule through the holidays is crazy but I hope to make it to a few of the screenings, especially Mystery of the Leaping Fish and When Clouds Roll By! How crazy to see these rarities on the big screen! :D

anon`

One Too Many
Paris, je t'aime

For those of you who've seen Four Rooms, this is very similar, but with closer to a couple dozen vignettes, and in French. Some are happy and lighthearted, others very poignant and even sad. And some are just bizzare.

But I really enjoyed it. Recommended, even if you don't speak a lick of French!

Feraud

Bartender
mike said:
Speaking of silent films, are you aware of the really rare and interesting Douglas Fairbanks film festival going on over the next 3 weeks or so at the MOMA? Wanna go some time? My work schedule through the holidays is crazy but I hope to make it to a few of the screenings, especially Mystery of the Leaping Fish and When Clouds Roll By! How crazy to see these rarities on the big screen! :D
I didn't know that but am interested in going. Let's work it out!

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
I watched The Searchers with my kids. In HD on PBS, the best print quality I've ever seen, just stunningly jaw dropping.

As usual, they grudgingly admitted that it was a well done film, but they couldn't grasp my explanation as to why it was so important, influential, and brilliant ("But Luke's aunt and uncle's death in Star Wars comes right out of the burnt homestead scene here!") The younger generation (or at least, my own high school and college age kids) simply has no feel for westerns. All of the classics I've shown them - Shane, High Noon, Josey Wales - have been met with disinterest. They actually made me turn off The Magnificent Seven an hour in!

Now mind you, my kids have a film scholar for a dad, and they have responded well to a wide range of classic films, everything from Citizen Kane and Rear Window to Rashomon and A Clockwork Orange. But westerns just leave them cold. This once ubiquitous American myth seems to be just too far from their experience to process - at least here in the Northeast. Maybe some kids exposed to the culture and landscape of the West can relate...

This strikes me as one of the most significant cultural changes of the last fifty years. From a time when broadcast TV was a sea of westerns, we've reached a point where comic books and SF (ironically, based on the same old western plots and tropes) have so obsoleted the western that even very well-schooled viewers find it harder to relate to than Shakespeare!

I am not the world's biggest western fan, but there are some great westerns that totally transcend their genre to deserve listing among any greatest films list - like The Searchers. And I find it very sad that my kids, who usually completely understand the quality of the films I show them, can't understand why.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21