What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Discussion in 'The Moving Picture' started by Amy Jeanne, Aug 5, 2007.

1. jake_fink

jake_fink Call Me a Cab

[​IMG]

That would be Sling Blade, yup yup yup. Maybe he did some 'o them music videos too.

2. just_me

just_me Practically Family

Purple Rose of Cairo.

3. MEDIUMMYND

MEDIUMMYND One of the Regulars

Last night i watched A River Runs Through It,first class.

4. KY Gentleman

KY Gentleman One Too Many

This is one of my favorite movies, I watch it regularly.
    I really liked Tom Skerritt in this one.

5. KY Gentleman

KY Gentleman One Too Many

How could I have missed that one!

6. Kermez

Kermez A-List Customer

7. Brinybay

Brinybay Practically Family

Just got done watching "Treasures of the Sierra Madre". I had never seen the movie, believe it or not. I decided to make a point of watching it because one evening I got curious and looked up where one of the most often quoted and even more often parodied movie line "Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!" line came from. I must have rewound that scene a dozen times.

8. Grant Fan

Grant Fan Practically Family

Holiday Inn with Fred Astaire and Bing Crosby

9. Doctor Strange

Doctor Strange I'll Lock Up

Woody Allen's charming musical Everyone Says I Love You. One of my faves among his later films. I watched it with a friend who'd never seen it (it was my third or fourth time).

Great old thirties tunes, fantastic cast, good script - one of Woody's increasingly rare funny and upbeat films. And interestingly, I've noticed that it was nearly all shot in very long continuous takes, including the complex large ensemble scenes, musical production numbers, and effects sequences (ghosts, flying). So it's also Woody's own Rope, if you will.

10. LizzieMaine

LizzieMaine Bartender

"The Lights Of New York," (1928), a picture that's well-known for being the first all-talking feature, but hasn't really been widely viewed because it's also well-known for being lousy. I think that's a bit harsh, myself -- it *seems* trite and hokey to people today because all of its plot conventions have become absolute gangster-movie cliches, but it's still entertaining to see these conventions being wheeled out on screen for the first time. When Wheeler Oakman hisses "TAKE --- HIM --- FOR --- A --- *RIDE*" to his accomplice, it's like being present at the moment of creation, the veritable Big Bang of gangsterfilmdom. The musical score is also quite good -- very advanced technique for 1928, and the picture actually is a lot snappier in its pacing than many of the talkies of 1929-30.

11. Amy Jeanne

Amy Jeanne Call Me a Cab

I love The Lights Of New York (1928)

12. Mrs. Merl

Mrs. Merl Practically Family

The Sting. Oddly enough, though this is one of my father's favorite movies, I had never seen it before. My husband enjoyed the heck out of it. I love the plot and the actors. The costumes to me have a bit of a 70's background noise going on. But really I think this may have have to be added to our movie library!

13. Kermez

Kermez A-List Customer

I first saw it when I was in middle school. I guessed the ending. My dad couldn't believe it. He was convinced (and still is, to this day) that I'd already seen it and knew what was going to happen.

14. Mrs. Merl

Mrs. Merl Practically Family

I believe you. ;)

15. Kermez

Kermez A-List Customer

Thanks. :D

16. Feraud

Feraud Bartender

Sukiyaki Western Django. Garbage. If it takes a director more than 30-40 minutes to get me hooked on a film, I am turning it off!

A horrible retelling of Hammett's Red Harvest story.
    Check out Yojimbo, Fist Full of Dollars, Last Man Standing, Glass Key and even Miller's Crossing for better versions and/or story elements.

17. LizzieMaine

LizzieMaine Bartender

Revisiting an old favorite -- "Diplomaniacs," from 1933. Proof positive that with the right script and a sympathetic director, Wheeler and Woolsey could be every bit as funny as the Marx Brothers. Added comedy bonus: Marjorie White, wrapped in cellophane.

18. just_me

just_me Practically Family

Stardust. Pretty enjoyable fantasy. The cast includes Claire Danes, Robert DeNiro, Ricky Gervais, Michelle Pfeiffer, Peter O'Toole, and Rupert Everett.

It takes place in the 1800s in England and the fantasy land on the other side of the wall.

19. Spitfire

Spitfire I'll Lock Up

Just came back after watching "Towelhead" Wow....:eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

20. Panache

Panache A-List Customer

Everybody goes to Rick's, it had been too long so I watched Casblanca .

In particular Claude Rains just stole the movie for me this time round.

Cheers

Jamie