Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Hondo

One Too Many
Purple Heart

Purple Heart (1944) with Dana Andrews, taken from a true story on FMC,
BTW:
Fox Movie Channel is gaining a little with TCM, even without commercials
FMC has to rotate films better than they have, repeats too many over and over.
Thank heaven for DVR, some great films in the early hours.
Nothing so far beats Turner Classic Movies for me :eusa_clap

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Yes Man

Yes, Jim Carrey was too old for the part (or rather is love interest), but it was surprisingly amusing.

"Every pretty girl deserves to go to a ball..." lol

LD

StaceFace

One of the Regulars
Lady Day said:
Did you like it?
I didnt care for the end, but that freeze tag sequence chilled me to the bone!

LD

The end let me down as well, but I found myself gripping hubby's hand during the freeze tag part! The part that really got me was when Benigna got, well, you know...I hate to ruin it for others! And also when Tomás turned around without the bag on his head *shudder*

Although they were two totally different movies, I liked The Changeling more (maybe a lot of that had to do with me oggling the clothes and hairstyles...)

Edward

Bartender
carebear said:
Edward,

So what other movies have you been avoiding?

Maybe we can convert you on those as well.

Hmmn.... I think the other big one was Gone with the Wind..... though likely I'll catch it on the television sometime. That and I'm also avoiding Lesbian Vampire Killers like the plague, but I really don't expect that anyone in these parts is gonig to try to sell me on that. lol

Fantastic Blofeld BTW, you are FL's own man of a thousand faces.

lol , thanks.... I wish I'd been able to get a better suit, but all else in my budget were those nasty Austin-Powers branded Dr Evil nylon costumes. What I'm wearing is actually a Chinese People's Liberation Army uniform with the collar tabs removed - bought for a few quid on the 'Bay. :)

KY Gentleman

One Too Many
"Its a Mad Mad Mad Mad World" is on AMC tonight.
Jonathan Winters, Dick Shawn, Terry Thomas, Spencer Tracy, Milton Berle...
How can you go wrong with these guys?

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
but the nitrate film caught fire!!!

Last night I and our kids went to the Stanford Theater in Palo Alto. Watched "Separate Tables" with Rita Hayworth and David Niven and Deborah Kerr as the first feature. Then 10 minutes into "Cover Girl" with Gene Kelly and Rita Hayworth, the nitrate print caught fire. Looked behind me to the upper balcony section when the projection booth is- and saw a big orange-red flash. Then all the fire alarms came on with a repeated recorded announcement asking everyone to please leave the theater! Five fire trucks and a fire rescue unit vehicle came. We all got given a free ticket to come back another time. I've been going to see old movies there regularly for over 20 years, and never has this happened.

Most people hung around outside for quite a while, many of us discussing the flammable and explosive qualities of nitrate film... Apparently the Stanford Theater is among the maybe five theaters in the world that are certified to show nitrate prints.

Feraud

Bartender
Tell it to the Marines with Lon Chaney.
Chaney created the mold of the tough drill instructor that films have used many times after. In watching the film you might recognized the characters and interactions that would set the standard for decades to come. The tough d.i., the raw recruit, and the girl that completes the triangle.
This was supposedly Chaney's favorite film and I can see why. As amazing as he is in makeup and contorting his body, his expressive face brings depth to his character.
Check it out.

See also this thread for great Chaney pics!

LizzieMaine

Bartender
chanteuseCarey said:
Most people hung around outside for quite a while, many of us discussing the flammable and explosive qualities of nitrate film... Apparently the Stanford Theater is among the maybe five theaters in the world that are certified to show nitrate prints.

I hope the projectionist got out OK -- one of the construction codes for nitrate projection booths used to require an iron fire door that could only be opened from the outside, the idea being that it was easier to replace a projectionist than it was to deal with the panic if the fire got out into the audience.

Caleb Moore

Familiar Face
LizzieMaine said:
I hope the projectionist got out OK -- one of the construction codes for nitrate projection booths used to require an iron fire door that could only be opened from the outside, the idea being that it was easier to replace a projectionist than it was to deal with the panic if the fire got out into the audience.

Fortunately, everyone was fine. There was about $5,000-$10,000 worth of water damage, but according to their website they will be back up and running tomorrow night with "Witness for the Prosecution". I have to admit, I was more than a little concerned as this place is a temple for me...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ