Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

KY Gentleman

One Too Many
I watched "River of No Return" today starring Robert Mitchum and Marilyn Monroe. The scenery was really great but overall it was just okay in my opinion.

Frankie Lamb

One of the Regulars
Last chance to see old Havana

Just got through watching the Alec Guinness film, "Our Man in Havana."
Aside from the usual treat of watching the great Sir Alec do his stuff, and seeing Ernie Kovacs in one of his rare serious roles, you have a chance to see the actual city of Havana just three months after Castro got his hooks in it.
The screenplay was written by Graham Green, who also authored the novel of the same name. Maureen O'hara did a credible job, albeit an odd choice of casting, and Burl Ives even managed not to ruin the film by playing an German expatriate with a southern accent! That's southern as in U.S.A., not southern Deutcheland.
Makes me wish I'd gone to Havana when I had the chance, before that boring buffoon took over. Oh well, it's a coulda, woulda, shoulda world I guess.
Frankie L.

BinkieBaumont

Rude Once Too Often
"Bullshot Crummond"

"Not a typo! Bullshot Cummomd is a send up of "Bulldog Drummond" made in the 1980's this delightful picture is full of daring do, and cunning stunts, against a back drop of tweeds, and quaint English charm.

After finding a Bulldog Drummond novel in an antique bookstore in London, England, which she used as her inspiration, Diz White (who also plays Daphne) conceived a theater spoof entitled BULLSHOT CRUMMOND that she co-wrote, and in which she starred in New York, London and Los Angeles. the talking picture was made in 1983 .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bChO--5w8DE&feature=related

00238114_.jpg

4139.jpg

bullshot.jpg

Feraud

Bartender
Saw Fail-Safe for the first time. An excellent film. The similarities to Kubrick's masterpiece of dark humor Dr. Strangelove slightly distracted me from this film. However, the directing and acting in Fail-Safe make this a very watchable film. What an ending...

funneman

Practically Family
Asphalt Jungle 1950

Saw this one for the very first time last week on TCM.

I really, really liked this movie. It has it all.

Gangsters, crooked cops, a jewel heist AND Marilyn Monroe.

Hubba, hubba.

I seem to really be drawn to the early fifties films:

The Killing, Dragnet, etc.

I think it's because a lot of those cars, buildings, and styles
were still around when I was young. When I was five those cars
were only eleven years old! lol

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
Synecdoche, New York click- It's not the greatest movie for entertainment value, but again proves that Charlie Kaufman is a strange genius.

Shirin

A-List Customer
I just watched "The Wife and the Secretary" with Myrna Loy and Jean Harlow. I had never seen it before but I really liked it. I especially liked the final quote by James Stewart, he says " Don't go looking for trouble where there isn't any, because if you don't find you'll make it."
I thought that was a very intelligent line and a great ending.

Havana Joe

Familiar Face
AUSTRALIA

I just saw Australia and I loved it! Great film! Lots of romance, good action, humor, and beautifully shot. It made me cry a couple of times! And I love the little kid, Nala!

bloodandmood

New in Town
Today I watched:

La Strada (1954) - First time I've seen this one, a real downer, but a beautiful film none the less. 9.5/10

and

The Brother From Another Planet (1984) - I really liked this one, a strange social commentary science-fiction film. 8/10

Wally_Hood

One Too Many
Paths of Glory

Watched Paths of Glory, dvr’d from MGM HD. Looks amazing in HD. Having seen it numerous times on tv and in a revival house, I am always drawn into the story and Kubrick’s direction. His prowling, swirling, tracking camera is never showy, never drawing attention to itself. The long tracking shot of General Mireau (George MacCready) pausing periodically to ask French soldiers “Are you ready to kill more Germans?” is virtually seamless. The meeting between General Broulard (Adolf Menjou, at the top of his game, in complete control of his character) and Mireau, when Broulard woos Mireau into commanding a foregone disastrous attack, is filled with the two actors almost in a dance, pacing around furniture, pausing, then moving ahead, all the while with the camera peeking over shoulders, almost eavesdropping. Unimaginably fluid choreography.
The most memorable performance is that of Ralph Meeker, who just two years before was a semi-psychopathic Mike Hammer in the shockingly brutal Kiss Me Deadly. Here he is completely different as Corporal Phillipe Paris, a fully human being in a fully inhuman war. He is almost unrecognizable with goatee, and a firmly fixed gaze.
This is one of my all time favorites; I never fail to choke up at the closing. If you haven’t seen it, try to catch it if you can.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy