Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
Watched "The Girl who Played with Fire" last night. If I had not read the book first, I would have been completely lost. That being said, I do not know how they could take a book like this and successfully turn it into a movie. It is so complex that the movie doesn't do it justice at all.

I still liked it, though. It's very different from "The Girl with the Dragon Tatoo." That movie is more of a murder-mystery. The second and third books deal more with Lisbeth Salander's past.

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
Actually, the brutal rape scene DOES advance the story - it is incredibly relevant in the second movie.

I would suggest reading the books, instead. They are much better than the movie. :)

Oh man, are they going with rape baby? Will s/he be born with nipple piercings and even greater hacking skills and more resentment toward authority than mommy? I'm not sure I can handle another one of these movies.

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
Oh man, are they going with rape baby? Will s/he be born with nipple piercings and even greater hacking skills and more resentment toward authority than mommy? I'm not sure I can handle another one of these movies.

No pregnancy, nothing like that.

Lisbeth Salander is one of the most remarkable fictional characters I've come across (and I've been an avid reader since I could read!), but it's hard to really portray her onscreen as opposed to on the written page. She's not just "resenting authority" because a few bad things happened to her. It's much, much more complex than that. We're talking about a girl who has literally had her rights taken away from her due to a variety of reasons. Yet she refuses to be a victim.

Again, I would suggest reading the books instead of watching the movies.

Undertow

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Girl with the Dragon Tattoo: terrible. It's completely predictable, and filled with every cliche known to movies and Scooby Doo...

I have to admit, this was a pretty funny run down of the movie. I haven't seen it, but it's probably not too far up on my list anyway. I agree with AmateisGal that the book is probably better.

I think the ONLY SINGULAR UNIQUE time I watched a movie that actually fit the book to the letter, even encompassing the vibe and eccentricities of each character and each plot point, was Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas. Gilliam hit the nail so squarely on the head you'd think he wrote the story himself. Thompson was on location for much of the film and Depp even lived with him for some time to get a feel for the man. There were only two scenes left out of the movie that appeared in the book - but they WERE in the movie, just deleted scenes which can be found in the extras of the DVD. I think that's pretty remarkable.

Wally_Hood

One Too Many
Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince. I really like the director David Yates; for the Potter movies he has a heavily detailed, densely cluttered set design. Nice group shots and clever two shots for dialogue. I must admit of all the movies in the series the actors here get to be the most "natural" in their performances, re: Harry comforting Hermione over her unrequited love for another character.

/|\

One of the Regulars
I have TMC on when I'm working at home. But when I'm working, I'm working, and cannot 'watch' a movie.

The last movie I actually watched (as in, sitting down and watching it) was last Sunday. I watched The Call of Cthulhu.

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
I showed my daughter - now a high school senior - the original Frankenstein and Bride of Frankenstein. (She'd last seen them when she was little, and didn't remember them.)

Of course, they're both uber-classics, and while they're no longer scary in they way they were to thirties audiences, they remain unique and fascinating. And Bride - before The Godfather Part II, the definition of a sequel arguably better than the original - has always been one of my favorite movies. I own it on 16mm film, VHS, and DVD!

Raise the cosmic defuser!

docneg

One of the Regulars
The other night I watched "The Front Page" with Pat O'Brien and Adolphe Menjou for the first time in years. It was a completely spontaneous thing. The next day, I found out James MacArthur (from Hawaii Five-O) died that evening. His father co-wrote "The Front Page", and his last acting performance was in a stage production of it. Weird!

coble

A-List Customer
this was 2 nights ago, i watched for the first time "the pianist" it was an excellent movie. Those here on the lounge should check out the clothes and hats. I love the fedora worn by adrien brody, it looked like a mossy green with a rusty purple ribbon. Those of you who haven't seen it, its a remarkable story taking place in poland during the holocaust.

up196

A-List Customer
I saw Cigarettes and Nylons, a film about French war brides set at the end of WWII. It was first shown at the New Orleans Film Festival. It is now running for only one week in Chalmette, Louisiana but is available on DVD. It is scheduled to air on tevevision in France and Germany in February.

http://coteblanche.com/cigarettes-nylons

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
usleathermart