Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
The other funny story is when they were filming at Watson's Drug Store there was a huge crowd (mostly women) across the street on Chapman hoping to get a glimpse of Tom Hanks. Somehow I managed to wander over to the side entrance around the corner where I knew Tom Hanks and the rest of cast came in and out. There was hardly anybody there so I stationed myself where I could get a good shot of Tom Hanks when he left for the day. With camera in hand I patiently waited some 90 minutes when the limo arrived ready to pick up Mr. Hanks. Still hardly anybody was there. When Tom Hanks came out somebody shouted "There he is!" In a microsecond the limo was mobbed by a huge crowd that practically materialised out of nowhere, totally ruining the shot! In of itself it was like a scene from a movie.

Every year St. Sophia's Greek Orthodox Church in the Byzantine/Latino quarter of Los Angeles hosts a Greek festival. Tom Hanks, whose wife is of Greek ancestry, made it to the festival, spoke a few words, then danced Greek-style with the others. Nobody bothered him, and I could not ascertain any body guards present. I suppose that the Greek community respects him and the festival enough to let Hanks and his wife enjoy the festivities.

VitaminG

One of the Regulars
saw a bunch over the weekend:

Suckerpunch. meh. Felt like it was directed by a committee of horny 14 year olds with access to daddy's deep pockets. Looked great. Wasn't awful, but not much else either.
Micmacs. The latest film from Jean-Pierre Jeunet, the guy who made Delicatessen, City of Lost Children, Amelie. I like what he does. If you like quirky & dark French comedy, check this out.
Arthur and the Revenge of Maltazard. Visually pretty picture to watch on a Sunday afternoon with my son. :)
The Social Network. Really well done. Enjoyed it a lot.
Big Fan. A hardcore NY Giants fan struggles after being bashed by his favourite player. Patton Oswalt is stellar

Feraud

Bartender
saw a bunch over the weekend:

Suckerpunch. meh. Felt like it was directed by a committee of horny 14 year olds with access to daddy's deep pockets. Looked great. Wasn't awful, but not much else either.
Micmacs. The latest film from Jean-Pierre Jeunet, the guy who made Delicatessen, City of Lost Children, Amelie. I like what he does. If you like quirky & dark French comedy, check this out.
Arthur and the Revenge of Maltazard. Visually pretty picture to watch on a Sunday afternoon with my son. :)
The Social Network. Really well done. Enjoyed it a lot.
Big Fan. A hardcore NY Giants fan struggles after being bashed by his favourite player. Patton Oswalt is stellar
I thought Micmacs and Big Fan were both excellent! Very recommended.

We recently watched Eastwood's Hereafter. I found it slow and uninspiring.
Also saw The Tourist with Depp and Jolie. It was just o.k. I've seen Depp in better roles and Jolie typically disappoints.

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
Recently watched "Atlas Shrugged part 1". Enjoyed the movie and can't wait until part 2.

Good luck with that. With the lousy business this flick is doing - only $3 million in two weeks of release - I doubt that the sequels will ever be made. It's unlikely that the Ayn Rand faithful alone (since apparently nobody else is making an effort to see it) have the ticket-buying ability for the film to even make back its production cost...

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=atlasshrugged.htm

C44Antelope

One of the Regulars
"Bringing Up Baby" - Cary Grant and Katherine Hepburn. My sons enjoyed picking out the character actors in it... Barry Fitzgerald (Who they knew from The Quiet Man - No patty fingers if you please), Charles Ruggles (Who they only knew from an episode of The Andy Griffith Show), Asta - which I wasn't sure was actually Asta and I pointed out Ward Bond to them... the Westerns connection didn't mean anything to them, but when I said "Father Lonagon, Parish Priest" they both said "Oh yeah!"

rue

How do you find these flicks? Any tips would be appreciated. :)

If you click on one of the movies I listed you'll see more to the side or you can click on the person's name that posted them and see what they have downloaded. They're all in code (usually the initials of the movie mixed with the date it was made) so that they don't get erased by YT, so it's kind of a crapshoot, but there are hundreds of movies on there. Does that help? :)

Last edited:

Black Dahlia

Call Me a Cab
The Black Pit of D. M (1959)
X
BD

MV5BMTU1NDAwMDExOF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMzQ2OTMzMQ@@._V1._SY317_CR4,0,214,317_.jpg

Bernie Zack

One of the Regulars
North by Northwest was on last night. I've seen it before, like it. But I noticed different things last night, like the fashion of the time (1959), etc.

The one thing that REALLY stuck out was how, at that time, there are a lot of men NOT wearing hats. The scene at grand central station where the "crowd" is pictured, as well as scenes involving the main cast of characters show less hats than in films from previous years. Still much more than today, but you can tell that hats were on their way out even in 1959.

Eva Marie Saint is tremendously beautiful in that movie.

North by Northwest was on last night. I've seen it before, like it. But I noticed different things last night, like the fashion of the time (1959), etc. The one thing that REALLY stuck out was how, at that time, there are a lot of men NOT wearing hats. The scene at grand central station where the "crowd" is pictured, as well as scenes involving the main cast of characters show less hats than in films from previous years. Still much more than today, but you can tell that hats were on their way out even in 1959.

N By NW is a swell film. There are certain aspects of it that are just astonishing. The bad guys are really interesting with James Mason as the sophisticated leader of the group. The scenes like at Mount Rushmore cafeteria and the train station give me a feeling of nostalgia and how things used to be.

The scene where he gets chased by the biplane has always mesmerized me since I was pretty little and saw it on TV. It remains a fine film.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnmichael